News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W08: 07-09-2003 Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA

Started by sophist, October 11, 2010, 11:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

QuoteWednesday, 07/09/2003 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA
Set 1: You Enjoy Myself -> Simple > Mountains in the Mist, Chalk Dust Torture, Bathtub Gin

Set 2: Boogie On Reggae Woman > AC/DC Bag, Piper, Twist -> Scents and Subtle Sounds, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: Loving Cup

Notes: You Enjoy Myself and Twist were unfinished. Chalk Dust concluded with a rave-up akin to the ending of The Mango Song.

Lossy:  http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e64969679d601a07ab1eab3e9fa335ca20a1508bd5c4e049
Lossless:  look for it tonight. 

I know, I know.  How dare I make everyone listen to 2.0, but this one holds a special place in my heart.  It's sloppy at times, but I felt the jamming in Gin and Piper makes up for the compositional slop. 

Submitted Reviews:

01- August
02 - RJ
03- KHalpin
04- UncleEb
05- Jezmund
06- MbW
07- Pnchundi
08- Sophist
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

pnchundi

sweet.  i liked summer 03.  there was a loose focus that allowed some intense moments

rowjimmy

YEM is solid. No vox jam but instead goes right into

simple pretty much had me nodding off at my desk...

Mountains = skipped

Chalkdust = Trey goes on attack for a bit but it doesn't go anywhere. Funny ending.

Gin. Midway it gets into something cool. It's nothing crazy fancy, though. Just a groove. Part of me digs this but another part keeps noticing that three guys are jamming and Trey is soloing.

Boogie On... meh >

Bag - check

Piper - people probably dig this. there's a lot of squawky guitar playing and it lasts a while but seriously, it didn't move me at all.

Twist - chorish is a word that comes to mind. It finally gets interesting right as it ends... >

Scents - is probably ok if you like Scents.

Mike's Song - Early slop...  I don't really get or dig what Trey is doing at the end either...

I Am Hydrogen - not proper

Week4paug - Weird paug jamming. the breakdown is kinda cool.

Lovin Cup - Rocks in standard fashion.

This show made fine background music but, whenever I focused too closely I found things I didn't like.
YMMV.

khalpin

YEM - Rough composed section.  The jam eventually gets to a good place ~12:00 and rocks out for a few minutes.  Solid.  I love when they skip the vocal jam.  Instead, into:
Simple - Pretty standard.
Mountains - :tte:
Chalkdust - Welcomed after Mountains.  Standard apart from the botchedness towards the end.
Gin - Trey sounds half-asleep whilst singing.  I like what Trey and Mike are doing ~5:30.  More cool stuff from Trey ~6:30.  Wish I could play like that.  By 10:00 the funk is flowing.  Cool jam for the next few minutes and then a mini-peak ~15:40 as Fish moves back to the hi-hat.  Then it goes in and out of space for a few minutes until finally fading out.  I enjoyed that.  Not a monster, but interesting to hear.

Boogie On - Not really a noteworthy version, although still enjoyable.
AC/DC Bag - They bring the heat here.  Good stuff.
Piper - My favorite part was the percussion around 12 minutes in.  Gets pretty cool around 16 minutes in, too.  Apart from that, though, it's not really my style.
Twist - This one wasn't doing it for me.
Scents & SS - They do a great job covering The Who here.  Nice, relaxed jam that I enjoyed quite a bit.
Mike's - was okay, but I wasn't really feeling it.
Hydrogen - rough
Weekapaug - Opens up nice and move to a sweet, funky breakdown about 5 minutes in with some mad cowbell from Fishman.  Strong return to the jam 7 minutes in.
Loving Cup - To close things out.

I don't venture into 2.0 too much as I have a hard time getting past the flubs.  This wasn't horrible and there were some high points that I enjoyed....Gin, YEM jam, AC/DC Bag....but other than that, I wasn't really a fan.   B-/C+

pnchundi

YEM- to open? I like this when they mess with the placement, but it could have benefited from a warm up song.  But they figure it out and find a fun space to jam.  Agree with no vocal jam thing, it makes for a nice change.
Simple- i like simple and page sounds nice but nothing crazy
Mtns- sorry trey, but yawn
chalkdust- trying to remind themselves and the crowd that this is a rock show
gin- damn.   and they sound good now.  Mike is pooping all over the place, and the jam gets very intense

boogie on- Its hard to beat the 7/1/10 encore. but page sounds nice
ACDC- this rages pretty hard
piper- long and loopy but with pockets of yummy goodness
twist- too similar to follow on the heels of piper
Scents Subtle Sounds- i really like this song, and this is a good version
Mikes- ok bring it. A rough to begin with, but they figure it out
H2- thanks for playing hydrogen but could you play the right way? plkthnxby
Groove- Mike makes up for it! Raging early on with a funky jam at the end

Loving Cup- always welcome.  Page and Trey kick ass

I liked summer 03, there were some really good moments within the shows that reminded you why you were going to see shows.  There were also some really sloppy moments that reminded you why they took a break in the first place.  B-

Kilgore_Trout

nobody mentions the fightrer jets flying over the start of the YEM which drowned out the very beginning and timed perfectly to the song coming together?

i'm new here so excuse me if i have to submit a complete review to play along.   :crazy:

jedifunk

top 5-10 gin for me.

i find this show extremely solid from start to finish.  probably the best show from summer 09, perhaps all of 2009.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

khalpin

Quote from: Kilgore_Trout on October 22, 2010, 02:01:38 PM
nobody mentions the fightrer jets flying over the start of the YEM which drowned out the very beginning and timed perfectly to the song coming together?

i'm new here so excuse me if i have to submit a complete review to play along.   :crazy:
Didn't know about that.  Thanks for the tip!

Kilgore_Trout

Quote from: jedifunk on October 22, 2010, 03:52:51 PM
top 5-10 gin for me.

i find this show extremely solid from start to finish.  probably the best show from summer 09, perhaps all of 2009.

like i said i am new here but are we talking 03 or 09?    :wink:

Quote from: khalpin on October 22, 2010, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: Kilgore_Trout on October 22, 2010, 02:01:38 PM

Didn't know about that.  Thanks for the tip!

i was altered but i know others there all noticed this.  just another cool random experience at a phish show right? 

G. Augusto

YEM - Not a completely horrible composed section, but not the tightest. Really hetty nirvana section. Pretty much gaffes all around on this. Extra thickness on the jam with some impressive leads by Trey. Spaces out nicely before the usual BnD...actually a really cool segue (albeit quite foreseen) into >>>

Simple - Really nice. Almost a slight DEG tease in there....

Mist - Maybe a little early for a breather, but I like Mist. Not a bad version, but you can kinda hear that the band was becoming tired.

Chalk - PH was a great time for Chalk. This is a rager! Ending gets super fast a la the IT version. A few ad-libbed endings....

Gin - Mike lays some really similar lined down to the 02-14 version during the verses. 9:15 this one is at full steam. Love all the boogie shuffle lines that Mike played during almost all the 2003 Gins. Spaces out ~19. There's a very quick Magilla lick in there, too. Returns to the outro after that ride, then back to space. Love when they just leave you hangin' out there like that.
5 song first set?! OK!

Boogie - Mike's effect sounds more molestery than he does now. Not a bad transition into >>>

ACDC - Quiet start to the jam. Trey gets lost once the jam kicks into hi-gear. This jams kicks hard which is what is missing from all 3.0 Bags.

Piper - Fish is a little messy. This one rages, but has purpose. It just doesn't rock out aimlessly like most Pipers. Fish keeps pushing for the fast tempo whenever something gets interesting, tho. Sounds like a hard push for 2001 in there. Mellow for the last 1:30.

Twist - I like how this just weaves out of that. Very sweet jam. Very playful and spacious. Oye Como Va by Page? 8:40 modulation and then spaces out into >>>

Scents - Page is super spacey. Bring back the intro! Second version. Nice flourishes by Trey and a mint return to the closing theme.

Mike's - Not usually a fan of the late set Mike's. Trey throws some meaty loops down to kick off the jams. Some whalin' and a breakdown where Page lets loose a bit. Gets thick and slams into the outro quite well but then doesn't do anything where they would play Simple or do the old-skool ending.

H2 - Ehhhhh.....

Week - With an atypical breakdown and cow-bell. Surprisingly good return to fast theme.

Cup - Jam is great but all the composed stuff is hacked!

After a pretty decent Tour opener and a really shitty show on the 8th, this one came out swingin'.

Awesome show.
Give it a B+

qop24

Quote from: Kilgore_Trout on October 26, 2010, 02:21:48 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on October 22, 2010, 03:52:51 PM
top 5-10 gin for me.

like i said i am new here but are we talking 03 or 09?    :wink:

was thinkin the same thing haha
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy