News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 20, 2012, 09:25:37 AM
So, I went back and a read a few of the first few pages of this thread... yes, we are all rehashing the same damn arguments.

So what are you saying?  That we've all pretty much cemented our opinions and won't be swayed???   :-P

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mbw

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 20, 2012, 09:30:47 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 20, 2012, 09:08:07 AM
wild leaps of logic and made up statistics.  well done.

There were 14.4+ million gun background check in the US in 2011.  This doesn't include all sales.  It should be adjusted for purchases by those that have already had a background check, and for adjusted again for denied checks.  It should also be adjusted for sales outside of the jurisdiction of the law (loop-holes at gun-shows, etc).

There were 8500+ murders by firearms in US in 2011.

That comes out to 0.000596, or less that 99.9%.  Yes, I assume that all of those murders were committed with a gun sold in 2011.

Terry

ETA, if we take a guess and say that only HALF of those 14.4+ resulted in a new gun being sold, that still comes out to 0.00119, or 99.88%.

how many were used in a violent crime that didn't end in murder?    how many in suicides?  how many were rifles with a legitimate use besides the killing of humans? 

twatts

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 20, 2012, 09:48:38 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 20, 2012, 09:08:07 AM
wild leaps of logic and made up statistics.  well done.

There were 14.4+ million gun background check in the US in 2011.  This doesn't include all sales.  It should be adjusted for purchases by those that have already had a background check, and for adjusted again for denied checks.  It should also be adjusted for sales outside of the jurisdiction of the law (loop-holes at gun-shows, etc).

There were 8500+ murders by firearms in US in 2011.

That comes out to 0.000596, or less that 99.9%.  Yes, I assume that all of those murders were committed with a gun sold in 2011.

Terry

ETA, if we take a guess and say that only HALF of those 14.4+ resulted in a new gun being sold, that still comes out to 0.00119, or 99.88%.

how many were used in a violent crime that didn't end in murder?    how many in suicides?  how many were rifles with a legitimate use besides the killing of humans?

I don't know.  You tell us.  Do you own research and tell us again how MY statistics are "made up"...  I stated that 99.9% of gun sales are not immediately followed by murder, and I can back that up.  Let's see you do the same...

We could massage the numbers all day, I'm happy to do so.  You'll find that an overwhelming amount of gun-sales never result in any person getting hurt.

And tell us, what makes one gun "legitimate" and another (I suppose) "illegitimate"?  People buy AR-15 style semi-automatic hunting rifles all the time and use them for such.  The .223 round is common and not even the largest used in hunting.  http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-15/model-r-15.aspx

You could say something about high-capacity magazines, but Bloomberg showed us people will just buy (2) small cokes instead of (1) large one... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

PIE-GUY

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 20, 2012, 09:31:50 AM
So, I went back and a read a few of the first few pages of this thread... yes, we are all rehashing the same damn arguments.

So what are you saying?  That we've all pretty much cemented our opinions and won't be swayed???   :-P

Terry

I don't know - somehow this last incident in CT has swayed a bunch of Republican pundits.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

twatts

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 20, 2012, 10:00:50 AM

Terry

I don't know - somehow this last incident in CT has swayed a bunch of Republican pundits.

Politicians kiss babies...  It doesn't mean they love them...

Terry

ETA  I do think Congress will do something, reenacting the Fed Assault Weapons Ban or something similar...

----------------------

I want super-human will

mbw

see, you were wrong.

twatts

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 20, 2012, 10:12:14 AM

see, you were wrong.

LOL!  Cheers!

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

gah

Terry

It should also be noted, the NRA has/will be announcing some changes in their stance as well. Coincidence? I don't know, but LaPierre will be on Meet the Press Sunday.

QuoteNBC's "Meet the Press" has landed an exclusive interview with National Rifle Association CEO and Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, the network announced today.

LaPierre's Sunday appearance will follow what the NRA has described as a "major" press conference on Friday, at which the organization plans to make "meaningful contributions" to ensure that the tragic shooting in Newtown, Conn., "never happens again."

Amid increased calls for gun control legislation, LaPierre will address "what he thinks should be done to curb the threat of violence in America," NBC said.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 20, 2012, 10:56:57 AM

Terry

It should also be noted, the NRA has/will be announcing some changes in their stance as well. Coincidence? I don't know, but LaPierre will be on Meet the Press Sunday.

QuoteNBC's "Meet the Press" has landed an exclusive interview with National Rifle Association CEO and Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, the network announced today.

LaPierre's Sunday appearance will follow what the NRA has described as a "major" press conference on Friday, at which the organization plans to make "meaningful contributions" to ensure that the tragic shooting in Newtown, Conn., "never happens again."

Amid increased calls for gun control legislation, LaPierre will address "what he thinks should be done to curb the threat of violence in America," NBC said.

highly dubious. it will just be some more Ben Stein B.S.

Bobafett

I love guns.  I hate the killing innocent people.

I live in one of the most lax gun law areas of the country outside of Alaska.  You don't need concealed carry permits, you can buy guns and walk out of the store with one that day, AR-15s are very popular for "Varmit" hunting.

I own 15+ guns, both pistols and rifles.  I am all for gun reform to keep horrible shit like this happening.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

twatts

Quote from: Bobafett on December 20, 2012, 11:21:01 AM

I live in one of the most lax gun law areas of the country outside of Alaska.  You don't need concealed carry permits, you can buy guns and walk out of the store with one that day, AR-15s are very popular for "Varmit" hunting.

I own 15+ guns, both pistols and rifles.  I am all for gun reform to keep horrible shit like this happening.

From the rhetoric in this thread about how lax gun laws allow murderers to easily obtain guns and commit their vile offenses, you'd think there were mass-murders in WY all the time...

Or maybe murder by firearms has little to do with existence of guns or how easily they are accessed, but instead is more of a result of mental illness???

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 20, 2012, 08:47:49 AM
Fuck Ben Stein.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I found his statement to be hilarious actually. Clearly not his intent, but still...fuck that guy. He proves his own point as in whytf should I give a shit what he says or thinks.

Bobafett

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 20, 2012, 11:34:25 AM

From the rhetoric in this thread about how lax gun laws allow murderers to easily obtain guns and commit their vile offenses, you'd think there were mass-murders in WY all the time...

Or maybe murder by firearms has little to do with existence of guns or how easily they are accessed, but instead is more of a result of mental illness???

Terry

that is a valid argument, imo.

I took my truck to the shop this morning and this crusty old fuck got into a conversation with me on this subject.  He is concerned about the "rag heads" and what they will do if you move towards very strict gun controls.  "at least I have a chance when someone pulls a gun on me.  If they put a bomb in one of these cars, the only chance i have is that my foot will still be attached to my leg!" 

I don't think there is an easy solution to this plague that affects our society.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mbw

From the rhetoric in this thread about how lax gun laws allow murderers to easily obtain guns and commit their vile offenses....

they don't?  how do these people get guns then?

Or maybe murder by firearms has little to do with existence of guns or how easily they are accessed.....

did you read what you just wrote?

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 19, 2012, 08:12:40 PM
I'm certainly no Huckabee fan, but it's a bit of a rhetorical stretch to say that he "blames gays for the Newtown massacre" (Salon's headline). He's blaming society's overall moral decadence, as he sees it, and he rattles off a few symptoms of that decline, including among other things our increasing tolerance for homosexuality/gay rights. It's a version of the Jerry Falwell/Fred Phelps schtick -- preacher types righteously thundering that we've lost our way as Christians and turned our backs on a life of godliness, and that's why bad things happen to us. There are no revelations here in terms of exposing Mike Huckabee's philosophy -- we already knew where he (and members of the religious right like him) stood on homosexuality and how tolerance for that is an affront to god's teachings. It's just particularly disgusting to hear people trot out that judgmental, holier-than-thou intolerance within the context of scolding us for being so anti-Jesus and using tragedy to try and frighten us back into more penitent ways.

In a sense, he's making a similar argument you are, GAH (I'm not really trying to be provocative here -- OK, maybe just a little  :wink:) -- that society's values (or lack of them) as a whole are part of the bigger cause here. Y'all are just seeing that depravity manifested in different ways.

But still, yeah, fuck Mike Huckabee.

I wasn't trying to make an argument regarding where society's values are or should be. While I might have an opinion regarding that, it's not the point I was trying to make. (Unlike that comment from Huckabee or Stein where their opinion IS the point they're trying to make).

I was simply stating that if you're offended by what happened yet choose the route of inaction, you are contributing to the policies or lack thereof that make this type of incident possible. Not that if you don't do anything, you're not allowed to be upset by it, but we could debate all day on here and come up with a working solution the 20 or so of us can live with, but it doesn't make a difference. If you feel strongly about something, let those that represent you know. Societal change starts at the individual level.