News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sweet blog by Ben "Junta" Hunter re:Hampton +New Bowie video 11/2/90

Started by birdman, March 20, 2009, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Nice take on the reunion from Phish's old manager.
With a link to the uncirculated Bowie vid.

http://hunterculture.wordpress.com/
Paug FTMFW!

antelope19

awesome, thanks for sharing.  Getting ready to watch the Bowie right now. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

khalpin

Quote from: birdman on March 20, 2009, 01:21:08 PM

Awesome!  +K

D'oh!  Stupid .mov file.....I'll wait till it's up on youtube.

whyweigh5.0

I'm watching it.  Nice to watch, but the camera work may give you a headache
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: birdman on March 20, 2009, 01:21:08 PM

K+
nice find, Bman!

good video...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

redrum

wait, so there aren't any teases in that intro, are there?

+K  :clap:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

moonmoog

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

tweezerfan

what a GREAT WRITE up!!! he put a great perspective on things wow...

awesome read thanks!

tonybeyondo

Video is well worth the download- great quality!   :banana:  :-D

phatyphil

Quote from: tonybeyondo on March 20, 2009, 02:55:50 PM
Video is well worth the download- great quality!   :banana:  :-D

Agreed!  That video is freakin' rad, great quality for analog 1990 recording.  Thanks for the link!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Ri©h

sprobeck

I was kind of put off by what he said about Trey not writing masterworks like YEM and Divided and Fluffhead anymore because he's a big rock star now and doesn't need to prove himself anymore. That's borders on insulting. Trey wrote those fresh out of college. Maybe they are more academic then some of his later writing but that's not because he's a big star! Give a guy a break. He's not always going to write the same kind of stuff with the same influences. Also unlike "Junta" he still has the same job he did 20 years ago!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Ri©h

Quote from: sprobeck on March 21, 2009, 10:32:45 PM
I was kind of put off by what he said about Trey not writing masterworks like YEM and Divided and Fluffhead anymore because he's a big rock star now and doesn't need to prove himself anymore. That's borders on insulting. Trey wrote those fresh out of college. Maybe they are more academic then some of his later writing but that's not because he's a big star! Give a guy a break. He's not always going to write the same kind of stuff with the same influences. Also unlike "Junta" he still has the same job he did 20 years ago!

Um, sprobeck, did you grab a hold of what Ben was saying after he made those remarks?

QuoteNo, much to fans dismay, I'm sure, Trey will never write another song like "You Enjoy Myself" or "Divided Sky" or "Fluffhead" because he's moved on.

These tunes are arguably his masterworks, but they were from a different time and place; a time when his overwhelming desire was to showcase how smart and ultra-compositional he could be–before he was a big star and had the weight of the responsible world on his shoulders, or, as Joni Mitchell succinctly put it, before he had to be "stoking the star making machinery behind the popular song."

So, in short, it's refreshing to hear a song like "Backwards...." because it represents a maturation both musical and personal, something any band or artist needs to keep evolving and avoid the kind of stagnation that invariably occurs when too much emphasis is placed on past successes, and not enough emphasis is placed on the present and future (for an example, see the Rolling Stones).

Trey isn't 20 years old anymore. He's 45. 25 years will put a lot on a man like him. He's been the center of attention for a very long time now. That kind of pressure can either do two things. Drive a man insane or propel him to move on and grow up like we're all supposed to do.

Look what happened when Phish quit at Coventry. Trey was so whacked out of his mind on dope he barely made it through the weekend. Then comes his arrest which I think was complete and utter destiny. He needed to be arrested. His drug intake was massive and his writing output was shit save for a handful of decent songs. But his arrest was meant to be. So that he could get back to doing what he does best. Being "the man" that he is. There is no avoiding his "big star" status. That is who he is.

When I was 18-20 years old I wanted to be Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen. I'm 38 now and my priorities have changed immensely. Now I just want to be a good hard working husband and father and watch my kids grow up. I still play guitar, but nothing like I used to. For me now it's merely a hobby. When you get older, life changes... priorities change. Fuck, if I was still doing the shit I was doing when I was 20 I'd be divorced and miserable. You gots to move on. But I digress...

Let's see what the future hold for Trey and for Phish.  You know just as much as I do that they're still going to be playing the classics. They absolutely cannot avoid that. But they have to move and change as they grow older or they'll become exactly what Ben wrote when he said...

QuoteOf course, like Bob Dylan (and not too many others), one thing a concert-goer could never accuse Phish of is being staid, unlike the overwhelming majority of acts on the road today whose set list (and in some cases, even their stage patter) never deviates.

Talk about lame!

By the way, welcome to the Paug.  :-)