News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-12-31 Madison Square Garden New York, NY

Started by anthrax, January 01, 2018, 01:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danje

What's the Use was my favorite part of the show.

anthrax

Quote from: danje on January 01, 2018, 12:51:49 PM
Tell us more!  On the stream it sounded like you could hear a pin drop in that place.  A super attentive NYC audience on New year's Eve is unheard of.  Trey really seemed to dig it.  It was a great moment!

WhatstheUse?

My favorite WTU I've seen since Magnaball. Super attentive audience.

Whole show was off the hook, IMO. I loved all 3 sets. Fluff/Reba back to back. Fuego>Jibboo was monsterous as was the ASIHTIS.

The Phish ship gag was incredible, when the sails turned sideways and revealed the Phish/Pirate flag I just about died of happiness. One of the most badass Phish moments I've been apart of.

I can't wait to see them take Soul planet for a ride again. That song's gonna be huge! It sounded so perfectly phishy and familiar and right at home. Probably the most I've ever enjoyed a brand new song. Ocean is love!!!

The only complaint I can come up with is that they really should've played Ride Captain Ride. Missed opportunity there.

This band has seriously still got IT
Bring in the dude!

birdman

I agree about the WTU. Absolutely beautiful moment. The 2nd set last night contained everything I love about this band. The floor was going apeshit during the jiboo jam and YEM. Such a great party
Paug FTMFW!

Superfreakie

Quote from: anthrax on January 01, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
Quote from: danje on January 01, 2018, 12:51:49 PM
Tell us more!  On the stream it sounded like you could hear a pin drop in that place.  A super attentive NYC audience on New year's Eve is unheard of.  Trey really seemed to dig it.  It was a great moment!

It was pretty fucking unbelievable. I can't remember the last time I've heard a phish crowd be that quiet. There wasn't a single scream, nothing. Then a friend of ours who could see the floor from our vantage point, lower bowl side stage, was thinking to himself, does anyone else get the epicness of this moment? And sure enough, in a sea of people with jaws on the floor and arms by their sides in awe, you saw one person in the middle of the floor bathed in light with his arms pointed skyward, shaking his fists at the heavens.......you all know who that was right?  :sbw: :sbw: :sbw: :sbw:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

VDB

The sails and wristbands had to be amazing in person. Everything looked great on TV.

Shame about that Velvet Cheese.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

WhatstheUse?

Seems like a lot of negativity is floating around the interwebz re: last night and I'm just not hearing it.

This band is still absolutely crushing it. The level of musicality they bring to the table is still untouched in the 'rock' world. Their ability to use tension/release and peak over and over again is unrivaled. They make it look so easy, but it's not. Even the 'simple' type 1 rawk peaks they are bringing to the table have so much musicality behind them. They're all masters at what they do. I know Trey has lost his pep-in-his-step but my dear lord the man can still play his heart out. He only has bursts of speed here and there, but his rhythm and note choices are still so on point. He has this magic ability to play such simplistic melodies that are instantly singable. It's as if his improvised melodies are stuck in your head before they've even happened.

And Mike Fucking Gordon. Can we talk about that weirdo for a second? The guy is seriously at the top of his game. I think he's the only one of the four to consistently get better with time. He pushes the music so hard and makes everyone else in the band sound better because of his musical support. Those sick Trey peaks would be nothing w/o Mike's thunderous bottom end building the tension beneath him. The man is a musical genius.

Okay I'm gonna go sleep forever now.
Bring in the dude!

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 01, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
Seems like a lot of negativity is floating around the interwebz re: last night and I'm just not hearing it.

This band is still absolutely crushing it. The level of musicality they bring to the table is still untouched in the 'rock' world. Their ability to use tension/release and peak over and over again is unrivaled. They make it look so easy, but it's not. Even the 'simple' type 1 rawk peaks they are bringing to the table have so much musicality behind them. They're all masters at what they do. I know Trey has lost his pep-in-his-step but my dear lord the man can still play his heart out. He only has bursts of speed here and there, but his rhythm and note choices are still so on point. He has this magic ability to play such simplistic melodies that are instantly singable. It's as if his improvised melodies are stuck in your head before they've even happened.

And Mike Fucking Gordon. Can we talk about that weirdo for a second? The guy is seriously at the top of his game. I think he's the only one of the four to consistently get better with time. He pushes the music so hard and makes everyone else in the band sound better because of his musical support. Those sick Trey peaks would be nothing w/o Mike's thunderous bottom end building the tension beneath him. The man is a musical genius.

Page.
Page has gotten consistently better with time.
It isn't a competition, so Page vs Mike, I don't know, but what I do know is that: Trey wouldn't sound half as good as he does these days if it wasn't for Page.
Again, I draw people's attention to something as simple as the Pigtail from 7/21/17, listen to how they swirl around one another like so many strands of DNA. They do this all the time now whereas, say, in 1997, and before they did not (as consistently and as interestingly as they do now).

TL;DR

Page.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

they need to turn mike up big time.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mbw

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 01, 2018, 07:00:34 PM

Someone should start a group dedicated to the cause.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mbw on January 01, 2018, 07:15:26 PM

first listen of that week4paug intro from teh 30th. mike slammed it.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on January 01, 2018, 07:15:26 PM

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.