News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

F#$*ing Fireforx issues...

Started by Marmar, March 06, 2017, 10:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Ok...so since the update, Firefox has completely gone bad....let me explain....

So, Firefox did an update. Everything was working fine til I shut down Firefox for the night. Got up yesterday and went to open Firefox.....BLANK PAGE. Opened a new tab......BLANK PAGE.....type in an address to visit.....BLANK PAGE, sits and spins, never connects. Close it and re-open....same situation. Start Firefox in safe mode.....same situation.

SO.....I uninstall and reinstall Firefox. YAY it worked!......till I close it out, it never re-opens.

Removed all profiles, add-ons, extentions, etc.....SAME SITUATION.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I can't find anything on the support forums on this one....everything comes up as a corrupted profile. BUT I deleted mine.....I'm at a loss here....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

tet

Quote from: PGLHAH on March 06, 2017, 10:57:07 AM
use Chrome?

a valid suggestion...

But to get Firefox working, first I am presuming that you're on Windows.  That being the case, I'm at a default disadvantage here...  I would assume a profile corruption would be the cause of this.  Are you syncing your profile with them by logging in?  If so, the copy on their servers may be corrupt too, which kind of sucks, but you may need to start over again.  Perhaps you can uninstall/reinstall, and then on first booting it (when it works), export your bookmarks and such, then uninstall/reinstall again, and create a new profile, importing your old data? 

Beyond that, you may need to delete some registry shit, but I am about 20 years behind in advising on that, sorry... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ytowndan

Dave has some solid advice there.  I was a longtime supporter of Firefox (going back to the days when it went by Mozilla) but it's become complete garbage, IMO.  About six months ago I abandoned it for Chrome and couldn't be happier. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Marmar

I need Firefox for a specific web plugin for youtube....if chrome had the same plugin, I would ditch it in a crack baby heartbeat.....

I do not use the SYNC feature....pointless for me to use as I've only got my phone and my desktop using it.....I use chrome on my laptop and my tablet.

This morning, I completely wiped Firefox and manually deleted some leftover registry entries.....reinstalled.....so here I am typing this trhu Firefox now.....I've yet to shut it down....

Also, another interesting tidbit.....when firefox acted up, the refresh option worked until I shut it down again.

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

DoW

roll back to a previous version of firefox and turn off auto-update?
use chrome for 90% of your web uses and just deal with loading firefox every time you need to use said plugin?

I switch back and forth every once in a while between chrome and firefox.  I'm currently using fixpox on my laptop but chrome on my phone.  for the basic stuff I do on the web, they both work fine.  I try to limit as many plugins and extensions as I can.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sls.stormyrider

I'll have to check when I get home. The remote access to work does not work with chrome and runs better on FF than Safari.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on March 06, 2017, 11:19:42 AM
Dave has some solid advice there.  I was a longtime supporter of Firefox (going back to the days when it went by Mozilla) but it's become complete garbage, IMO.  About six months ago I abandoned it for Chrome and couldn't be happier.

I second what Dan said. Pluss Chrome has the Grateful Grabber add-on so you can grab the GD SBD's off of Archive.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: Marmar on March 06, 2017, 11:23:38 AM
I need Firefox for a specific web plugin for youtube....if chrome had the same plugin, I would ditch it in a crack baby heartbeat.....

I do not use the SYNC feature....pointless for me to use as I've only got my phone and my desktop using it.....I use chrome on my laptop and my tablet.

This morning, I completely wiped Firefox and manually deleted some leftover registry entries.....reinstalled.....so here I am typing this trhu Firefox now.....I've yet to shut it down....

Also, another interesting tidbit.....when firefox acted up, the refresh option worked until I shut it down again.

Disregarding my above post... At work there is one program/website that I have to use to pull reports from my properties in-house restaurants and it only works on firefox/waterfox, and yesterday it was slower that a constipated shit.

Also, have you tried waterfox yet? It's Mozilla's 64bit versiion of Firefox.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Marmar

Marmar

annnnnnnnd.....

waterfox is working like a champ....

I dunno wtf is going on with firefox....but this works for now! All my extensions work too, which is what I was really after....+k for the heads up

It does have me confused though.....since it is firefox in the core, I assumed that it would behave the same way firefox was. I even used my firefox profile, and it loaded fine....I've restarted it like 6 times to be sure....no hiccups....so there must be something in the latest firefox that doesn't play well with Win7 Pro 64bit....