News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Anyone going to pick one up tomorrow?

I don't have to go into the office so I'll be hitting my Rogers store some time before 10am when they open, hopefully there won't be any big lines or stupid Rogers problems...

tet

yup, likely going to head on down to the Apple Cube at some point tomorrow afternoon.  i have NO need to be there first thing in the morning, and i figure the line will have worked its way down by then.  i may also just walk into a smaller Apple Store in NJ on Saturday morning and grab one without the hassle of a first day launch! 

there's a small chance i wake up early tomorrow morning and go to the AT&T Store a few blocks away, but:

a) i don't think AT&T employees are as well trained or prepared as Apple employees
b) my guess is that Apple Stores will get more stock, and a place as huge as the Cube will probably have a few thousand of these in stock, if not more, so i can't imagine there will be a shortage of them any time soon.
c) i'd rather have the purchase done at an Apple Store.  they can easily look shit up, it's all on my same Apple account... fewer hassles for the future

good luck with Rogers, they really tried to fuck you guys over with that awful data plan, but at least they've reached some sort of compromise now. 

i'm anxiously awaiting the official OS 2.0 download (didn't grab the leaked link earlier today), which i've read has already been jailbroken and UNLOCKED!!  that was my only hesitation to upgrading my current iPhone, but as long as i can have 1 legit iPhone 3G and 1 unlocked iPhone EDGE for my international travel, i'm in. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

Do you have any idea how much data you use a month?

People wanted unlimited, but I think the data plans were pretty good.  Certainly better than what I've got with my Blackberry right now.

tet

well, i've owned my iPhone for just over 12 months now, and have around 1.7 GB of total data transferred over EDGE (it doesn't track Wifi anyway).  so not a lot.  i have 3 mail account that it checks every 30 minutes, and 2 of them get over 100 messages a day - and of course, all my internet browsing and maps/weather/stocks usage fits into there, of which i'd say the web is 10% of my overall bandwidth if i had to guess, the rest is minimal.
-Phish

mattstick

so there ya go - these plans with several hundred MB a month aren't that unrealistic...

tet

well i was the next in line to go inside the store (decided to try the AT&T route this year), and the manager came out with an inventory update: only 11 16 gig Whites and 37 8 gig Blacks were left - no 16 gig Blacks, which is the only one i came there for! ARGGGHHHH!!!

3 hours in line for nothing... yippee!! thanks AT&T for always improving the customer experience!

i will likely just head over to The Cube a bit later and pick one up without hassle.

man, this sucked.  how'd you fare?
-Phish

mattstick

this store had 14 phones and I'm probably going to get a white 16 but the Rogers system is crashed and the have sold 3 phones in 4 hours it's a shitstorm.

tet

the problem seems to be the iTunes activation servers being completely overloaded. 

this was a poorly conceived and executed launch... things were SO much easier last year (forgetting the fact that it took them 18 hours to activate my iPhone because of some weird AT&T glitch)
-Phish

mattstick

the problem here is the Rogers system

jedifunk

i'm in atlanta on business this week, and was thinking about heading up to the apple store here to grab my 3g phone, but i think i'm just gonna wait til i get home... i don't want the hassle while i'm on the road...

plus i think waiting till the madness of today is done will be better..

when is the 2.0 software for my 2.5g phone available for DL?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

available as of this morning. Their activation servers have been hit hard, but it eventually works. I'm in The Cube right now, a few minutes until I'm 3G!

Sorry about all your troubles, Matt. Hopefully Rogers gets it straightened out soon, I'm sure everyone is pissed.
-Phish

jedifunk

does anyone know... on the 3g shit... if you are not in a 3g area does it switch to EDGE or are you simply fucked?

i just thought about that, and if it doesn't switch over to EDGE thats stupid and i'm not buying... cuz its basically worthless in a lot of situations.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

woohoo!  16GB white in my hands!

jedifunk

where do i DL the 2.0 update?  itunes?  its not showing up when i click "check for update"...

i went into the itunes store but don't see it there either...

HELP
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

tet

Quote from: mattstick on July 11, 2008, 05:11:19 PM

woohoo!  16GB white in my hands!

:beers:

congrats dude!  enjoy!!

Quote from: jedifunk on July 11, 2008, 05:23:09 PM
where do i DL the 2.0 update?  itunes?  its not showing up when i click "check for update"...

i went into the itunes store but don't see it there either...

HELP

you won't see it unless you're running iTunes 7.7, released yesterday.  once that is installed, you should see the update by clicking on the same thing you're clicking on now.

Quote from: jedifunk on July 11, 2008, 04:41:52 PM
does anyone know... on the 3g shit... if you are not in a 3g area does it switch to EDGE or are you simply fucked?

i just thought about that, and if it doesn't switch over to EDGE thats stupid and i'm not buying... cuz its basically worthless in a lot of situations.

don't know if it auto-switches, but i'm sure it does.  it fully supports EDGE though, that much i do know.  there is even a setting (under "Network") where you can disable 3G to save battery power, and it switches to EDGE at that point. 

-Phish