News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Tell your GFs and Wives...

Started by twatts, February 01, 2012, 03:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 03, 2012, 03:02:24 PM
Further reading

My favorite part was when she quoted a Daily Kos user's "explosive account of her own research into Komen." That reminded me of this article I saw in the NYT the other day that said "week4paug.net user V00D00BR3W says 'Newt is a dickbag.'"

I am really struggling to understand why people who are supposedly so concerned about women's health think it's appropriate to vilify an organization that has invested $2B for breast cancer research, education, and support programs. Something about forests and trees.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 03, 2012, 04:37:16 PM

I am really struggling to understand why people who are supposedly so concerned about women's health think it's appropriate to vilify an organization that has invested $2B for breast cancer research, education, and support programs. Something about forests and trees.

Are you talking about the Right vilifying PP, or the Left's retaliation towards Komen???

I think its high humour that the Right now complains about the Left's reaction, the partisanship, the politication, etc. when afterall, it was Komen that fired the first shot...  No one at PP was talking about how to bring down Komen...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

sls.stormyrider

the best comment I read all day about this was "keep politics out of health care".

I don't understand this quote (from VBs link)

QuoteIn the harshest judgment, the breast-cancer cult serves as an accomplice in global poisoning -- normalizing cancer, prettying it up, even presenting it, perversely, as a positive and enviable experience."

Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for Komen. Lets not put them in the same league as Newt's Superpac, and I hope they've learned to stay out of that territory as well.

Many women have been helped by what they do, and hopefully treatment will continue to improve.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

runawayjimbo

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on February 03, 2012, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 03, 2012, 04:37:16 PM

Are you talking about the Right vilifying PP, or the Left's retaliation towards Komen???

I think its high humour that the Right now complains about the Left's reaction, the partisanship, the politication, etc. when afterall, it was Komen that fired the first shot...  No one at PP was talking about how to bring down Komen...

Terry

I was referring to the fact that people were (supposedly) vowing never to donate to Komen again and pulling out of the race. As I said earlier, I think the PP "investigation" is complete horseshit as well, but spiting Komen seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Also, I think you may be overstating the impact of a $650,000 grant that covered something like 4% of PP's breast cancer screenings.

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 03, 2012, 05:02:43 PM

I was referring to the fact that people were (supposedly) vowing never to donate to Komen again and pulling out of the race. As I said earlier, I think the
PP "investigation" is complete horseshit as well, but spiting Komen seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Also, I think you may be overstating the impact of a $650,000 grant that covered something like 4% of PP's breast cancer screenings.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the people that vowed to destroy PP, although it would seem to be pretty counterproductive (at least to me), considering we're only talking about enough money to cover 4% of screenings... 

And I didn't state anything about the impact of the money (not sure where you got that???).  I honestly think (and have been proven correctly by the flood of donations) that PP will go on unfazed...

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

runawayjimbo

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on February 03, 2012, 05:14:19 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 03, 2012, 05:02:43 PM

I was referring to the fact that people were (supposedly) vowing never to donate to Komen again and pulling out of the race. As I said earlier, I think the
PP "investigation" is complete horseshit as well, but spiting Komen seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the people that vowed to destroy PP, although it would seem to be pretty counterproductive (at least to me), considering we're only talking about enough money to cover 4% of screenings... 

And I didn't state anything about the impact of the money (not sure where you got that???).  I honestly think (and have been proven correctly by the flood of donations) that PP will go on unfazed...

Terry

I assumed when you said "No one at PP was talking about how to bring down Komen" you were implying Komen was intentionally trying to bring down PP by temporarily withholding a relatively insignificant grant (thus the 4% figure). I agree with you Republicans have been trying to shut down PP, first through trying to defund it last year and now with the trumped up investigation. But I don't think Komen was maliciously trying to destroy PP, especially given there is likely a large intersection of the two constituencies.

My original point was simply that Komen, like PP, has done a lot of good for millions of women and spiting them over their poor handling of the situation is, IMO, pretty fruitless.

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 03, 2012, 06:05:00 PM

I assumed when you said "No one at PP was talking about how to bring down Komen" you were implying Komen was intentionally trying to bring down PP by temporarily withholding a relatively insignificant grant (thus the 4% figure). I agree with you Republicans have been trying to shut down PP, first through trying to defund it last year and now with the trumped up investigation. But I don't think Komen was maliciously trying to destroy PP, especially given there is likely a large intersection of the two constituencies.

My original point was simply that Komen, like PP, has done a lot of good for millions of women and spiting them over their poor handling of the situation is, IMO, pretty fruitless.

No. I was implying that Handel, who is known for her anti-PP stance and is now VP for Public Policy at K, has an interest in taking down PP.  So much so, that others in Leadership roles there resigned in protest to the new policy towards PP. 

You are right that the effect of removing K's money from PP does little to reduce the presence of PP, I agree there.  But I don't believe this was not malicious.  OK, maybe not malicious, but certainly spiteful.  I'm not going to try and defend the Public Outrage that ensued, but I certainly don't blame people for what I see as a retaliation to K's intial spiteful act.  I think they got what they deserve...  YMMV...

Terry

PS  I suppose this is all moot now... 

----------------------

I want super-human will

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

nab

sunrisevt

The outrage at Komen is justified; they've also been gearing up for this for a while: they hired Ari Fleischer (W's old press chief) to advise them on handling the blowback (which turned out to be far stronger than they imagined). They knowingly hired an avowed anti-choice windbag, after all. And they enforced that "nobody under investigation" rule exactly once, against PP, out of 1000s of funding recipients. They made it political, and millions of Americans appreciate what PP does, and now Komen's reaping what they've sown. Unfortunate? Sure, maybe. But they sure as fuck asked for it.

Komen looks to me like a rich lady's hobby--doing good in the most showy, attention-grabbing way. At heart, it's a branding organization. Yes, they raised consciousness about breast cancer. They're also rolling out a promotional pink handgun as the latest addition to their endless tsunami of useless pink plastic swag. I've got no use for that noise.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

kellerb

Quote from: sunrisevt on February 04, 2012, 02:53:58 PM
Komen looks to me like a rich lady's hobby--doing good in the most showy, attention-grabbing way. At heart, it's a branding organization. Yes, they raised consciousness about breast cancer. They're also rolling out a promotional pink handgun as the latest addition to their endless tsunami of useless pink plastic swag. I've got no use for that noise.

I've seen at least one article stating that only 24% of Donations to Komen end up going to actual breast cancer research.  They also spend over $1million/year suing other companies for trademark infringement, i.e. people who use pink or "....for the cure" etc without permission.

Hicks

One time I went to Plan Parenthood and they shoved a q-tip up my wang at a discounted price.

So that was cool. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

Quote from: kellerb on February 04, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on February 04, 2012, 02:53:58 PM

I've seen at least one article stating that only 24% of Donations to Komen end up going to actual breast cancer research.  They also spend over $1million/year suing other companies for trademark infringement, i.e. people who use pink or "....for the cure" etc without permission.

That sounds about right. My wife's been complaining about them and their unearned reputation since the late 90s.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on February 04, 2012, 06:21:37 PM
One time I went to Plan Parenthood and they shoved a q-tip up my wang at a discounted price.

So that was cool.

I've had one of those tests; they're not enjoyable.  :wtu:

Oh, and.......

Ari Fleischer = King Arrogant Pompous Douchebag the II

Make the world a better place........punch Ari Fleischer in the face.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.