News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

OS X Yosemite

Started by rowjimmy, September 28, 2014, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhishJY

Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

jam>

mid-2012 macbook pro with 8GB ram with a standard 500mb HD — and it's a slow computer. I need a boost with more ram and/or a solid state hard drive

jam>

I didn't notice it getting any more slow with the OS upgrade though.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PhishJY on December 07, 2014, 01:14:06 PM
8GB
how does yours run?, i.e. fast, slow, in between

to be more specific, the biggest wait time for me is opening new programs - it seems like it take forever to open a browser or a program / app
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PhishJY

Quote from: slslbs on December 07, 2014, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: PhishJY on December 07, 2014, 01:14:06 PM
8GB
how does yours run?, i.e. fast, slow, in between

to be more specific, the biggest wait time for me is opening new programs - it seems like it take forever to open a browser or a program / app

I think Yosemite slowed it down a little bit, but I don't have any data to back that up.  Regardless of the slowdown, it was offset by the addition of SMS functionality of the Messages app.  Everything in life's a trade-off, and I feel like I came out the winner on Yosemite.

But, here's some very unscientific data, based on my usage:

I tested opening Safari (usually the fastest to open) & Microsoft Outlook 2011 (usually the slowest to open).  I would open the program, wait for it to be usable, close it, wait 10 seconds (just to make sure everything had closed) and then open it again.  Outlook & Safari were never open at the same time.  This method is far from scientific, but I'd say it would be relatively common for real-life usage.

Here are my results (times shown are in seconds, timed with my spiffy new iPhone 6):

Safari: 4.1, 5.7, 2.9
Outlook: 12.7, 4.0, 3.2

The 2nd & 3rd load times for Outlook suggest that the program isn't closing all the way.  However, when observing processes using Activity Monitor, I confirmed that it is closing the Outlook app.

I usually keep the Messages app open all the time.  Other than that (and the requisite background services), nothing else was running.

Again, this is nowhere near scientific.  Just my observations based on my usage.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

rowjimmy

installed the 10.10.3 Beta with Photos for mac last night.
So far so good.

VDB

So it seems Photos is only going to be for 10.10? Well balls to that; the iMac, where I keep all my media, is maxed out at Lion.
Is this still Wombat?