News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Metal Thread

Started by Gumbo72203, November 06, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: MiamiPhish on November 07, 2012, 03:26:05 PM
Quote from: westcider on November 07, 2012, 02:53:52 PM
I just can't accept vocals like that.

I feel you there.

Opeth, I think, is a nice mix of death metal music with mellow vocals, although Mikel Owhateverthefuckhisnameis does growl, too.

I love Opeth.  Of course, I was rockin out to Slayer and Celtic Frost back in the 80s, so the cookie monster vocals don't really phase me.

anthrax

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 07, 2012, 02:37:01 PM
Well, its death metal.  Its not for everybody lol. 

I'm actually SUPER curious, what songs did you check out?

The 3 that I would recommend for seeing their psychedelic side are "Covenant of Death", "I", and "Prayer of Hatred". 

Sit through this, *I PROMISE* you'll see what I'm talking about.  Plus, you CAN dance to it.  I do. 

i love me some metal!  but i never could get into morbid angel.  and after listening to that...i still can't.

mbw

Gumbo72203

Yeah I mean, death metal is just an extreme art form.  The vocals aren't about singing.  Its about energy, conviction, and fucking power.  Pure raging energy. 

Its just a different thing; its not about singing in key. 

This is probably one of their most penetrating psychedelic onslaughts...  the ending is just....  ugh.  It actually chills out, and gets super Pink Floyd-y.  This is where the cosmos open up, and the stillness of your mind allows the vibrational fabric to meld into a one-ness imperceptible during mundane day-to-day life.  And the guitar solos!!!!  UGH.

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

barnesy305

barnesy305

Oh, and can't forget these guys.

Hicks

Cmon now, everyone knows Neurosis are the kings of jam/hippy metal. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

barnesy305

Quote from: Hicks on November 07, 2012, 10:45:48 PM

Speaking of, have you heard the new album?

Hicks

Quote from: barnesy305 on November 07, 2012, 10:52:15 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 07, 2012, 10:45:48 PM

Speaking of, have you heard the new album?

I'm not really all that into them, I just know that they needed to be mentioned.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

westcider

I fucking love Baroness, seen em live three times, but I think their last album is the least metal thing they have done yet.  their vocals and Slayer's and most of the metal I listen to are more yelling than anything.  it's that guttural stuff I don't like.  except Sepultura.  they rule.

Gumbo72203

you guys need to know ISIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4EUj8Vf8K4&feature=related

Probably the actually closest thing to Jam/metal.  Their sound is super heavy combined with some of the deep space Fall '97 psychedelia.  At least thats what it makes me feel like... the same feeling.  Deeeeep, deeeeep shit. 

Fucking ugh, the first few minutes of the opening track are SO brilliant.  And then you have the pinnacle song, "Weight", which isn't metal at all, its more like Mogwai, a climbing, escalating ascension of beauty and power with awesome chick vox. 

Seriously, if you guys get into anything heavy, Isis will do it for you.  I promise.  They're SO unique.  Its beautiful heavy music.  Kind of like Neurosis, I suppose...
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

This thread should probably be split off into a new thread.

I'd comment on the quality of the music being posted but it would make me sound like Clint Eastwood talking to a chair.

jam>

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 08, 2012, 09:45:40 AM

Probably the actually closest thing to Jam/metal.  Their sound is super heavy combined with some of the deep space Fall '97 psychedelia.  At least thats what it makes me feel like... the same feeling.  Deeeeep, deeeeep shit. 

Fucking ugh, the first few minutes of the opening track are SO brilliant.  And then you have the pinnacle song, "Weight", which isn't metal at all, its more like Mogwai, a climbing, escalating ascension of beauty and power with awesome chick vox. 

Seriously, if you guys get into anything heavy, Isis will do it for you.  I promise.  They're SO unique.  Its beautiful heavy music.  Kind of like Neurosis, I suppose...

Isis is good stuff. Stoner Metal is a pretty well known genre — "jam-metal"s slower bpm sibling

barnesy305

Quote from: jam> on November 08, 2012, 10:12:29 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 08, 2012, 09:45:40 AM

Isis is good stuff. Stoner Metal is a pretty well known genre — "jam-metal"s slower bpm sibling

Agreed, I love stoner metal.