News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fuck4paug

Started by redrum, July 06, 2010, 01:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

You really think Fuck Your Face was the ultimate bust out?
What would you call it?  It hasn't been played since 87.  I'd say that's pretty fucking huge.  What would be bigger to you? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

redrum

Quote from: sophist on July 06, 2010, 02:09:01 PM
Why would they read the LST thread though?  No offense, but they are just same people (me included) cracking retarded inside jokes every time.  It's an awesome way to spend one's night when they aren't at the show, but it's hardly a beacon of knowledge or insight with regards to the actual show.  So to me, it just seems ludicrous to think that has any influence on the band, and why wouldn't they take many of the more well thought out ideas to heart within this board? 

You guys are confusing cause with correlation.

i'm not saying it was DEF this board that caused them to randomly bustout one of the rarest songs in their
catalog.
but i know it's not out of the question & it's absolutely worth discussing even if we had nothing to do with it.
you & i both now there are people on this board that personally know the band & many people in the organization.

it may have been the request poster, it may have been the board, it may have been both, it may have neither.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Hicks

Played only once before on an unknown date at least 23 years ago . . .

I'd say yes.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

You guys know the rule...

If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

:roll:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mattstick

Quote from: Hicks on July 06, 2010, 02:15:21 PM

I'd say yes.

It can't only be about the date since last played.  The quality of, and importance of the song to the band's songbook is more important to me.  I'd put 2/28/03's Destiny Unbound ahead of Fuck Your Face.  FYI McGrupp - I was not at 2/28/03.

Also, the fact that they're making a conscious effort to dust off songs from the wayyyy back catalog kind of diminishes the recent "bust outs" to me.

redrum

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:13:58 PM

He did say it. But does he really think it.....

Mattstick: resident week4paug police

:police:

LOL. seriously.
:::puts arms out for handcuffs to be slapped on:::

i quoted that from phish.net

http://phish.net/news/1278167589

F#*$ YOUR FACE

Posted 3 days ago by lumpblockclod - 13 comments - Link: http://phi.sh/p3spx
Last night in Charlotte, Phish played the bustout to end all bustouts: "Fuck Your Face" was played for the first time in over 23 years (the last -- and only -- known performance was on 4/29/87 or 1,413 shows ago).  Interestingly, Phish also performed an a cappella version of "Proud Mary" during the "YEM" vocal jam.  "Mary" was the previous longest-gap record holder when it was played on 3/1/03 for the first time since the very first Phish show (12/2/83 or 1,364 shows). Needless to say, excitement is running high for the last two shows of the tour in Alpharetta. Can "Prep School Hippie" or "Punch Me in the Eye" be far behind?

guess i shoulda used the quoting option the first time.  :frustrated:

---

mattstick

You kidz and your "if you're not saying what I'm saying you must be an unheady cop" emoticons...

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2010, 02:18:33 PM

I'd say yes.

It can't only be about the date since last played.  The quality of, and importance of the song to the band's songbook is more important to me.  I'd put 2/28/03's Destiny Unbound ahead of Fuck Your Face.  FYI McGrupp - I was not at 2/28/03.

Also, the fact that they're making a conscious effort to dust off songs from the wayyyy back catalog kind of diminishes the recent "bust outs" to me.

Destiny was played heavily throughout 90-91 though, so there's tons of folks that were seeing them back then that caught it.

This was a song that practically no one had seen before, and even if they had who can remember since the date is totally unconfirmed.

As one of Mike's earlier compositions, I'd say it's historically significant too, and certainly an interesting tune as well.

So all that adds up to a bustout of the highest order in my book.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2010, 02:20:59 PM

You kidz and your "if you're not saying what I'm saying you must be an unheady cop" emoticons...

I'm not calling you a dick, but I do think you have trouble typing the same way you would speak.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

redrum

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2010, 02:20:59 PM

but heady or unheady -- are you cop?

by law you have to tell me. (i think)

---

sophist

I'd say yes.

So according to you, one of their first songs written is less important than one of their more popular songs? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on July 06, 2010, 02:22:17 PM

I'd say yes.

Destiny was played heavily throughout 90-91 though, so there's tons of folks that were seeing them back then that caught it.

This was a song that practically no one had seen before, and even if they had who can remember since the date is totally unconfirmed.

As one of Mike's earlier compositions, I'd say it's historically significant too, and certainly an interesting tune as well.

This.

Destiny, lol.

Plus Hicks and I called it.

McGrupp

Regardless, this ain't no top 40 phish anymore...

I was worried for a sec there.

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:22:46 PM

I'm not calling you a dick, but I do think you have trouble typing the same way you would speak.

And I'm not calling you a w00k, but if you were to suggest that I was the "fun police" because you disagreed with my opinion, I'd tell you to STFU.  Cool?

Quote from: Hicks on July 06, 2010, 02:22:17 PM

I see what you're saying, but Destiny Unbound was the song that people thought would never be played again, at least when I started seeing shows... it's not like there were people waiting for the Fuck Your Face bustout.  And while I'm not a fan of Destiny Unbound or Fuck Your Face as songs, I do think Destiny Unbound is a little more interesting.

Quote from: sophist on July 06, 2010, 02:23:33 PM
So according to you, one of their first songs written is less important than one of their more popular songs? 

Yes.  Are you jonesin' to hear Minkin, And So To Bed? or He Ent To The Bog?

Poster Nutbag

If you go through the first 11 pages of the fuck you 7/1 setlist thread... LLama, Roses are Free, Fuck your Face, Vultures, and Lizards were called... prior to 7/1 being played... and they played all those songs in 2 nights... Can see Sophist's point, but it's definitely weird, thats all... 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ