News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

WEEN

Started by emay, June 15, 2009, 07:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Quote from: mehead on February 01, 2017, 01:37:54 PM
I'm seeing them for the first time this April. I am a complete n00b.  I know very little of their music.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should start with as far as getting familiar with them?

my favorite studio album is The Mollusk, it spans through a lot of the genres they touch.
12 Golden country greats is their cowboy country song album which is different and awesome as well.
If you want to dive straight into the brownness put on GodWeenSatan or The Pod.

Hicks

Pure Guava for weird Ween, White Pepper for "normal" Ween. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: VDB on February 01, 2017, 01:55:23 PM
Hard to go wrong with any Ween, but I'd start with Chocolate & Cheese and Quebec.

These would be my go tos.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 01, 2017, 02:32:59 PM
Quote from: VDB on February 01, 2017, 01:55:23 PM
Hard to go wrong with any Ween, but I'd start with Chocolate & Cheese and Quebec.

These would be my go tos.

Third'd.

Also, 12 Golden Country Greats. And The Mollusk...

Actually, start with Chocolate and Cheese and we'll lead you from there.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Quote from: Hicks on February 01, 2017, 02:29:54 PM
Pure Guava for weird Ween, White Pepper for "normal" Ween.

"normal ween"

:-D

VDB

I'm also quite a big fan of Shinola Vol. 1.
Is this still Wombat?

Lifeboy

Outside of  :phish: and :syf:, Ween is my absolute favorite.

My favorite albums:

The Mollusk
White Pepper
12 Golden Country Greats

Chocolate and Cheese is a good introduction album, though.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Gundo

WEEN is a tough band to get into I think. You really have to be is a state of mind that's ready for something super weird. They have songs that are flat out stupid, but they have lot's of Phishy type lyrical songs which is what I like about them. The Mollusk is a great studio album to start with. Live is Chicago kicks ass.

This video changed me

mehead

Thanks everybody! 
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Hicks

Look at all these noobs sleeping on Pure Guava, go take a Scotch Guard bonghit and get back to me. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

As a friend once aptly described them, "Ween is like listening to the best and most hilarious mixtape [or CD or playlist, depending on your age] you've ever made."
Is this still Wombat?

Gundo

That's actually a great way to describe them.

Lifeboy

There are SO many B-sides/unreleased stuff that is AMAZING too.

Some of my favorites, and not just for unreleased stuff, but out of all their material:

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Lifeboy

Those are absolute must-hears for any Ween fan.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.