News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fox News: At it again

Started by VDB, April 19, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on October 18, 2013, 11:04:40 AM
Add being insufferable debbie downers to the list of why Fox News sucks.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/17/dr-manny-america-obsession-with-zombies-is-hurting-our-society/

Homeboy needs to wake up and discover the concept of escapism as entertainment.

sophist

The irony of a fox news reporter addressing another show as a threat to America is too much for me.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

of course, if it was Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, or any other liberal pol saying that stuff is bad for the kids of America, it would be "the nanny state impinging upon our freedoms"
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

I think that Dr. Manny Alvarez has a bright future writing op-eds for high-school newspapers railing against the perpetual lack of Mountain Dew in the vending machine by the boys' locker room.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 22, 2013, 01:44:36 PM
I think that Dr. Manny Alvarez has a bright future writing op-eds for high-school newspapers railing against the perpetual lack of Mountain Dew in the vending machine by the boys' locker room.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Look at what "professional news organization" FoxNews.com has up on its homepage right now:

I've seen some amateur shit on that website, but I think this graphic takes the cake. Holy moses.

They are just going wild over this website snafu. To Fox and the GOP, a malfunctioning website seems to be proof positive of their assertion that Obamacare is going to destroy America. Except... websites can be fixed. What then? You'll have to go back to arguing against the substance of the ACA, except, oh, the voters and even the Supremes have said to shut up and move on. So basically, they're just trying to score cheap points while they can and blame a president for how an IT project was implemented.

Meanwhile, for those of us who aren't still in elementary school, there's been a pretty interesting discussion (NPR has spent some time on this) about the very structure of how massive government tech projects like this are bid on, sliced up, handed off and supervised, and how the whole mess of that process is really what we should be talking about here. It's little surprise to see a big, ambitious system like this stumbled out of the gates, and yes, it argues for reform of that process itself. It doesn't really say squat about the underlying public policy that birthed the site.
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 25, 2013, 04:05:48 PM
To Fox and the GOP, a malfunctioning website seems to be proof positive of their assertion that Obamacare is going to destroy America.

Personally, I think its funny that Fox now seems to care whether or not the website works.  If they want ACA to fail, the easiest place to start is to make it hard for people to sign up - that was the ENTIRE logical basis for some state to NOT set up their own exchanges.  I'd think they would be cheering for the failure, but now it seems they want it up and running...

I guess they can't help themselves - they'll gig the Obama even when it would seem in their interests to not do so... 

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VDB

Fox News will not rest until they solve the mystery of why someone in the government updated a graphic on a website. This is front-page material, naturally.

Oh, how hard they are working to gin up this big "outrageous" "controversy"... "Is the mystery girl real? Is she alive? Is she being held in a secret Obama gulag somewhere? WHY WON'T THEY ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS??"

And then you get to the bottom of the story where they quote an administration official who simply says, hey, we're respecting her privacy and not giving out her name. And a third party who pointed out that maybe they're just taking advantage of valuable real estate to convey something more informative than a face. Oh. Shit. Nothing to see here I guess. Dammit.

Grasping at straws much? Or are they just doing this now for their own sheer amusement?
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 28, 2013, 12:26:12 PM
Grasping at straws much?

Yes, yes you are.

I also have a comment about your previous post and twatts' patently false reply, but I got shit to do so maybe later.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
twatts

Its not "twatts" anymore...  Now its Kentucky Marmalade...  You can call me KY Jelly for short...

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 28, 2013, 12:26:12 PM
Grasping at straws much?

Yes, yes you are.

I also have a comment about your previous post and twatts' patently false reply, but I got shit to do so maybe later.

Come now, Jimbo. Don't tease us. Go on, defend ya boys at FN.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 25, 2013, 04:05:48 PM
Meanwhile, for those of us who aren't still in elementary school, there's been a pretty interesting discussion (NPR has spent some time on this) about the very structure of how massive government tech projects like this are bid on, sliced up, handed off and supervised, and how the whole mess of that process is really what we should be talking about here. It's little surprise to see a big, ambitious system like this stumbled out of the gates, and yes, it argues for reform of that process itself. It doesn't really say squat about the underlying public policy that birthed the site.

Ezra Klein said "the website" has become a symbol of much bigger problems with the law's implementation
, much to the chagrin of Joan Walsh who insisted liberals shouldn't report on the law's failings.

What I can't understand was why the administration wouldn't even consider postponing the mandate for a year. Insurers had been warning of risks since at least the summer. Full testing began just days before the launch. I understand the concern that the GOP just wants to continue trying/failing to dismantle the law, but the president had to be the adult and admit that it just wasn't ready yet. And I think people would have given him credit for doing that. But, not surprisingly, he didn't. The part where they bullshit about not knowing stats like how many people enrolled is fun too.

I've said this to you many times, VDB, but just because Fox placates to the lowest common denominator doesn't mean you have to buy into their bullshit. As a friend, please stop trolling the Fox News website. You will feel SO much better.

It's not your fault. No, NO, VDB...it's not your fault.

Quote from: Kentucky Marmalade on October 25, 2013, 04:36:25 PM
Personally, I think its funny that Fox now seems to care whether or not the website works.  If they want ACA to fail, the easiest place to start is to make it hard for people to sign up - that was the ENTIRE logical basis for some state to NOT set up their own exchanges.  I'd think they would be cheering for the failure, but now it seems they want it up and running...

That wasn't really why states didn't set up their own exchanges. The more compelling reason was because Medicaid is already overwhelming state (balanced) budgets. So when the ACA was passed and massively expanded their most costly item, some states said "fuck off" (incl. 2 Dem govs) despite the (temporary) federal funding. And Congress, knowing full well that some states would say "fuck off, included the language in the ACA that said if states didn't open their own exchanges, than federal funds would be revoked. But this was the one piece of the law that the Court did throw out because of its coercive nature, making it easier for states to opt out.

Do I think the GOP wants the ACA to fail? Duh. But it's not true that governors had only political reasons for their opposition to the Medicaid expansion. They legitimately thought it sucked balls too.

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2013, 10:42:07 PM

That wasn't really why states didn't set up their own exchanges. The more compelling reason was because Medicaid is already overwhelming state (balanced) budgets. So when the ACA was passed and massively expanded their most costly item, some states said "fuck off" (incl. 2 Dem govs) despite the (temporary) federal funding. And Congress, knowing full well that some states would say "fuck off, included the language in the ACA that said if states didn't open their own exchanges, than federal funds would be revoked. But this was the one piece of the law that the Court did throw out because of its coercive nature, making it easier for states to opt out.

Do I think the GOP wants the ACA to fail? Duh. But it's not true that governors had only political reasons for their opposition to the Medicaid expansion. They legitimately thought it sucked balls too.

I was being obtuse:  "Shouldn't Fox be cheering the failure of the website"???

Thought you would catch that...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

VDB

Not sure I follow you, jimbo. I'm buying into FN's bullshit? I tend to do the very opposite. I actually get real pleasure in seeing and reporting on the incredible lengths to which they'll go to make a mockery of their own "fair and balanced" mantra. I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY AFFINITY FOR THE FOX NEWS WEBSITE TO YOU OR ANYONE.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Kentucky Marmalade on October 29, 2013, 10:49:36 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2013, 10:42:07 PM

I was being obtuse:  "Shouldn't Fox be cheering the failure of the website"???

Thought you would catch that...

I always assume you're being obtuse, KYJ :wink:

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 29, 2013, 11:01:12 PM
Not sure I follow you, jimbo. I'm buying into FN's bullshit? I tend to do the very opposite. I actually get real pleasure in seeing and reporting on the incredible lengths to which they'll go to make a mockery of their own "fair and balanced" mantra. I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY AFFINITY FOR THE FOX NEWS WEBSITE TO YOU OR ANYONE.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I worry about you, bro. But then, I don't live with the rubes FN is placating to, so...