News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 25, 2019, 06:51:46 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 24, 2019, 09:21:11 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 24, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
Hey, does anybody know the details of what happened between Ned LAgin and the band that prompted him to have his parts edited out of the GD movie?

Never heard anything about that.

I'm not aware of any specific falling out. But, if I'm being honest, it probably didn't make the film in an effort to make it more watchable/listenable. Perhaps if Jerry'd been able to finish the film in '75 he might have gone that route.
ya know now i cant for the life of me remember where i heard about this but i swear i read recently that he specifically requested his parts be removed after some sort of falling out with the band.  I'll have to try and find the bit im thinking of and get back to yall.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 25, 2019, 12:53:48 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 25, 2019, 06:51:46 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 24, 2019, 09:21:11 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 24, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
Hey, does anybody know the details of what happened between Ned LAgin and the band that prompted him to have his parts edited out of the GD movie?

Never heard anything about that.

I’m not aware of any specific falling out. But, if I’m being honest, it probably didn’t make the film in an effort to make it more watchable/listenable. Perhaps if Jerry’d been able to finish the film in ‘75 he might have gone that route.
ya know now i cant for the life of me remember where i heard about this but i swear i read recently that he specifically requested his parts be removed after some sort of falling out with the band.  I'll have to try and find the bit im thinking of and get back to yall.

You can see him in Johnny B Goode (skip to 1:33)

read the comments here: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2011/05/ned-lagin.html
Light Into Ashes seems to have the scoop. Keith did not seem to like Ned.

VA $l!m

not suprising about Keith.
i think this was the tidbit i was thinking of though if you read down a bit to NEd's involvement with the movie shows.
Besides some technical difficulties recording his parts it mentions a request to Garcia after estrangin himself from the band.
just a blurb in a wiki though. thought there might be more juicy deets.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grateful_Dead_Movie

Ned's place in the band, esp. in 74 is real interesting though especially in relation to Keith.
they defnitely pulled jams in different directions.
i just finished listening to pretty much the back end of 74, from Selland on... yesterday i was listening to 10-16's eyes and check out the end 'stronger than dirt' jam where ned's progressive modulations really change how you normally think of that jam.  Theres' so many times in 74 when they're locked in with him and it starts sounding more like Miles Davis bitches brew than GD.
I think  he really had a big influence on the whole progression leading into BLues for allah

VA $l!m

making my way through OCt 74 Winterland run.....  :syf:

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on February 07, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
making my way through OCt 74 Winterland run.....  :syf:

Nice!  Just watched a bunch of the movie.

I'm finally getting around to spinning the new Dave's Picks.  I've heard this show 100 times easily and there is no shortage of good sources out there, but damn this sounds perfect and I'm not even playing the FLACS yet.  Pumped to crank second set FLAC on the towers this weekend.

rowjimmy

Slim that estrangement mentioned certainly ties in to when he decided to removed himself from the band...
Damned shame. The tech details mentioned in that Wikipedia piece, I feel I've read them elsewhere but damn his rig was a motherfucker.. I'd give anything to HEAR a wall of sound show.

I subbed to Dave's Picks this year and have been listening to the new one on a shitty CD player from my sickbed as I've been down with the flu all week. It still sounds KILLER.

susep

Probably the coolest review I've read for a rock show, 02/05/1969:
This venue sits near the mighty confluence of the Kansas and Missori rivers were the powerful energy of these two great rivers collide.  Inhabited for at least 12,000 years by Paleo hunters who felled great Wolly Mammoths and Mega fauna it is a mystical place and this Dark Star played here will reverberate its energy for Ions up and down these valleys till the end of time along with the ancient spirits who inhabit this powerful place!

gah

Quote from: susep on February 08, 2019, 11:00:01 AM
This venue sits near the mighty confluence of the Kansas and Missori rivers were the powerful energy of these two great rivers collide.  Inhabited for at least 12,000 years by Paleo hunters who felled great Wolly Mammoths and Mega fauna it is a mystical place and this Dark Star played here will reverberate its energy for Ions up and down these valleys till the end of time along with the ancient spirits who inhabit this powerful place!

epic
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

emay

Quote from: gah on February 08, 2019, 11:05:13 AM
Quote from: susep on February 08, 2019, 11:00:01 AM

epic

damn the acid was strong that night.

mistercharlie

If you've got a few grand to drop then this might be for you.

Steve Parish is auctioning off Jerry's Mu-Tron pedal. It's at $4,550 right now.

Jerry's Mu-Tron Auction
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 09, 2019, 06:07:46 PM

Jerry's Mu-Tron Auction

Haha...it says it's been scavenged for parts.  Imagine 5K for a non-working pedal.  Still cool to see up close.  Also, did you see the instrument cable he's selling? 3' generic patch cord for $400? People are nuts.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 10, 2019, 12:41:17 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on February 09, 2019, 06:07:46 PM

Jerry's Mu-Tron Auction

Haha...it says it's been scavenged for parts.  Imagine 5K for a non-working pedal.  Still cool to see up close.  Also, did you see the instrument cable he's selling? 3' generic patch cord for $400? People are nuts.

Precisely what he's banking on.

Caravan2001

I really enjoy the Big Steve Hour though.  Some great stories are shared.  Decent one this week with Oteil.  But, I missed most of the Bobby one two weeks ago.  Anybody know where you can listen to these after the fact?  I have an SXM subscription but can't find them in the archives (haven't really looked honestly).  But wondering if someone has liberated these shows for non-subscribers?

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 10, 2019, 01:16:22 PM
I really enjoy the Big Steve Hour though.  Some great stories are shared.  Decent one this week with Oteil.  But, I missed most of the Bobby one two weeks ago.  Anybody know where you can listen to these after the fact?  I have an SXM subscription but can't find them in the archives (haven't really looked honestly).  But wondering if someone has liberated these shows for non-subscribers?

I would also be interested in this.

susep

rnilt:

:syf:
02-19-69
Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco

SBD>MC>D>CD

DISC 1

1. //Lovelight-->
  2. Not Fade Awa-->
  3. Lovelight

4. Stage Banter