News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New receiver for a friend.

Started by antelope19, May 20, 2008, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Hicks

Quote from: Marmar on May 21, 2008, 12:08:27 AM
I've never had that problem....

I bet some of it might have to do with the sub being used, along with how you have the bass management set up....

Then stop supporting everyone who uses DTS:NEO....or ProLogic.....those incorporate presence speakers.

I listen to ProLogic an DTS:Neo all the time with a simple 5.1 or 7.1 set up. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Marmar on May 20, 2008, 07:30:46 PM
Try Yamaha's too....

Their DSP's are top notch....plus I like their overall cost vs. quality.....Onkyo is ok, but Yamaha's would be a lil better IMHO....and for not much more cheddah....

from my own experience, after buying a similar onkyo 7.1 HTIB, i like onkyo's receivers, but their speakers pretty much blow. its just not their cup of tea.

hopefully some time this year can get a much needed major upgrade to my own system.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

blatboom

Quote from: VA slim on May 25, 2008, 08:04:28 PM

from my own experience, after buying a similar onkyo 7.1 HTIB, i like onkyo's receivers, but their speakers pretty much blow. its just not their cup of tea.

hopefully some time this year can get a much needed major upgrade to my own system.

I had the same Polk's for years and they still scream.

VA $l!m

Quote from: blatboom on May 26, 2008, 08:37:20 PM

yuh. i dunno. it'll be while before i can do anything so there is really no point in speculating now, but i might keep my receiver and just change my speakers eventually. who knows. first off i', going to buy a computer so thats really my priority right now. hopefully in the next month or so i will start looking for a computer to build a whole entire new system around. if i'm lucky i'll get it right this time.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

Quote from: VA slim on May 26, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

yuh. i dunno. it'll be while before i can do anything so there is really no point in speculating now, but i might keep my receiver and just change my speakers eventually. who knows. first off i', going to buy a computer so thats really my priority right now. hopefully in the next month or so i will start looking for a computer to build a whole entire new system around. if i'm lucky i'll get it right this time.

PM me if you are interested in getting speakers sooner rather than later, I can get you some deals on the Aperions I sell. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

khalpin

I think that's usually true of most HTiB.  They really chinse on the speakers.  If you go with individual components, you can get a lot more for just a couple more bucks.

antelope19

Quote from: Hicks on May 27, 2008, 12:28:14 PM

PM me if you are interested in getting speakers sooner rather than later, I can get you some deals on the Aperions I sell. 

If the offer still stands in a few months, I may take you up on that Hicks.  iirc, I have the same system as Slim and would agree with everything he's said about the onkyo speakers.  Well, let me rephrase.  I wouldn't say they blow, but they could stand for some improvement. 

Hicks

Quote from: antelope19 on May 27, 2008, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: Hicks on May 27, 2008, 12:28:14 PM

If the offer still stands in a few months, I may take you up on that Hicks.  iirc, I have the same system as Slim and would agree with everything he's said about the onkyo speakers.  Well, let me rephrase.  I wouldn't say they blow, but they could stand for some improvement. 

No harm in hitting me up later but right now we are kind of desperate to clear warehouse space so big time deals are going down, but our stuff is always reasonably priced, especially for friends.   :-)

Khalpin is right, HTIB speakers will always be adequate at best.

antelope19

Is there a link to the "clearance" deals?

Hicks

antelope19

Hmm, I don't know how psyched my neighbors would be if I got anything involving the words "room quaking" in the description.  :lol:

Thanks for the link!

EDIT to add: You all make some nice stuff from what I can tell.  I am really looking to upgrade my surround or sattelite speakers as well as my fronts at some point.  I am ok with my center speaker currently. 

Hicks

Quote from: antelope19 on May 27, 2008, 04:41:29 PM
Hmm, I don't know how psyched my neighbors would be if I got anything involving the words "room quaking" in the description.  :lol:

Thanks for the link!

EDIT to add: You all make some nice stuff from what I can tell.  I am really looking to upgrade my surround or sattelite speakers as well as my fronts at some point.  I am ok with my center speaker currently. 

Thanks mang, if you are interested in checking out some speakers of similar quality you should head to a Best Buy with a Magnolia Hi Fi and check out some Vienna Acoustics, they are pretty sweet too.