News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

HBO GO

Started by VDB, February 13, 2013, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 10, 2018, 11:17:28 PM
Anyone watching High Maintenance?

Yes - love it. Have not seen last night's episode yet, though.

The season opener this year - when she realized they were brothers - oh man!!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got around to watching The Night Of and I thought it was amazing!  [spoiler]Seeing Nas slowly lose his identity (both literally and figuratively) over the course of those 8 episodes was pretty intense.  All while cranking the paranoia up to 11 by giving half-a-dozen characters serious motive for being the killer.  The kinda/sorta open-ended finale kept with that vibe perfectly, leaving us a bit hazy and with the strong feeling that the only thing certain was institutional failure.  [/spoiler]

The co-creator and writer, Richard Price -- who was also a staff writer on The Wire -- happens to be one of the best crime fiction novelists around.  So if any of you guys enjoyed The Night Of and are looking for something to read that has a similar tone and feel, I'd recommend any of his novels.  Clockers is an especially good one. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

emay

Quote from: ytowndan on April 13, 2018, 04:36:31 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got around to watching The Night Of and I thought it was amazing!  [spoiler]Seeing Nas slowly lose his identity (both literally and figuratively) over the course of those 8 episodes was pretty intense.  All while cranking the paranoia up to 11 by giving half-a-dozen characters serious motive for being the killer.  The kinda/sorta open-ended finale kept with that vibe perfectly, leaving us a bit hazy and with the strong feeling that the only thing certain was institutional failure.  [/spoiler]

The co-creator and writer, Richard Price -- who was also a staff writer on The Wire -- happens to be one of the best crime fiction novelists around.  So if any of you guys enjoyed The Night Of and are looking for something to read that has a similar tone and feel, I'd recommend any of his novels.  Clockers is an especially good one.

Hell yeah! I watched this series a year or so ago and forgot the ending haha. I might re-watch this soon.
Loved John Turturro character. And Mike K Williams and actor that plays Bodi in there too makes sense with one of the writers from the Wire.
I haven't read Clockers but have seen the Spike Lee movie, will look into his other books too.
I need to finish homicide by David Simon too.

ytowndan

Quote from: emay on April 13, 2018, 04:48:05 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on April 13, 2018, 04:36:31 PM

Hell yeah! I watched this series a year or so ago and forgot the ending haha. I might re-watch this soon.
Loved John Turturro character. And Mike K Williams and actor that plays Bodi in there too makes sense with one of the writers from the Wire.
I haven't read Clockers but have seen the Spike Lee movie, will look into his other books too.
I need to finish homicide by David Simon too.

Yeah, they were all fantastic.  MKW tends to steal the show in anything he's in, imo.  I'd be curious to see the original pilot episode with James Gandolfini, it would probably feel like a completely different show.  I honestly can't imagine that role for anyone other than John Turturro now, having seen it that way.  But it would still to be cool to see the JG version. 

I've had Homicide on my shelf for years now.  One of these days I plan on reading it.

mbw

Anyone see any good documentaries lately?   :?

rowjimmy

Kind of don't want to watch.
We all know this stuff, don't we?

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 06, 2019, 11:23:22 AM

Watched them..its pretty much what we already know but in detail....which is something I really didn't need to know.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 06, 2019, 11:23:22 AM

Even the music they played during the trailers sounded like Serial.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

WhatstheUse?

Yo Paug! Anybody watch Euphoria?

Im only a couple episodes it but it seems like a pretty accurate portrayal of drug use. Which, as drug user, I can appreciate.

Bring in the dude!

emay

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 05, 2019, 07:40:44 PM

Im only a couple episodes it but it seems like a pretty accurate portrayal of drug use. Which, as drug user, I can appreciate.

I'm at episode 4!

khalpin

Quote from: emay on August 05, 2019, 08:46:16 PM

I'm at episode 4!
Buncha stoners...

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: emay on August 05, 2019, 08:46:16 PM

I'm at episode 4!

Of course you are you delinquent drug fiend!  :wtu:

Bring in the dude!

Hicks

I almost gave in and started it a couple times in moments of post GOT weakness, but now with Succession and GLOW starting up again this weekend it looks like I won't be succumbing to it's Gen Z nonsense. 

/oldman
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on August 05, 2019, 09:41:27 PM

I almost gave in and started it a couple times in moments of post GOT weakness, but now with Succession and GLOW starting up again this weekend it looks like I won't be succumbing to it's Gen Z nonsense. 

/oldman

I cannot wait for GLOW to come back!

On HBO news though... the wife and I binged both seasons of Barry over the course of a week. Totally loved it and we are eagerly awaiting season three in 2020.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.