News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

Holy shit that was terrible. I wonder who actually took the time to write those lyrics? 
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Lifeboy

Quote from: zimbra on April 27, 2012, 04:56:46 PM
Holy shit that was terrible. I wonder who actually took the time to write those lyrics?

It could have been any of them. They're all terrible lyricists.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

phil

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 27, 2012, 02:17:10 PM

Umphrey's has now lost all my respect.

... oh wait, you need to have respect first, to lose it...

I mean, they have that one song that I sort of liked the first few times I heard it
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Casey Lenahan

cheesy but i dont see how someone could dislike this

I owe Aug $20

rowjimmy

Quote from: tehdead on April 28, 2012, 10:29:47 PM

When did the song start?
I gave up after 30 seconds of pointless noodling.

sophist

I thought that was pretty generic to be honest.  Pass. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 29, 2012, 07:48:38 AM

When did the song start?
I gave up after 30 seconds of pointless noodling.

Made it to about 45 sec, then started to skip ahead, but never did figure that out. But hey, it gets the kids dancing, so good for them I guess.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

How can I dislike it?

Let me tell you how, I lived through the late 80s and early 90s when bands like Nirvana, Sonic Youth and The Pixies were supposed to rid us of the scourge of cheesedick hair metal forever.  Now you've got these kids who don't know any better acting like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen are the coolest thing since hairspray.  If you really want to hear music like that then just listen to the real deal and pop on Joe Satriani's Summersong, it was already done 20 years ago and it was done better back then.

I mean seriously if Kurt Cobain had known this was how shit was gonna go down he would have blown Trey's head off in 1994 instead of his own.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2012, 12:06:09 PM

I mean seriously if Kurt Cobain had known this was how shit was gonna go down he would have blown Trey's head off in 1994 instead of his own.

I LOL'd coss it's true.

McGrupp

Not a big UM fan at all. I especially dislike their cheese-faux-hair-prog. BUT, I think I'm going to check them out when they come through Richmond and play at the botanical gardens. Early show. Should be fun.

Plus, a lot of their music is cheesy, but this, for instance, I think is a pretty cool jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FL4kWQfoD56oO81jZfOCNRlw&v=3e8glXIxgsg&feature=player_detailpage#t=199s
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

kellerb

Well, at least they have a sense of humor about the reaction to that Chicago song:

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 29, 2012, 01:40:12 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2012, 12:06:09 PM

I LOL'd coss it's true.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

macaronihead

You guys realize all that 'Chicago' song really was to them was a fat check, right? They may have written the lyrics down but there's no way they had free reign. It blows, its not real UM.

gah

Quote from: macaronihead on April 30, 2012, 02:27:44 PM
You guys realize all that 'Chicago' song really was to them was a fat check, right? They may have written the lyrics down but there's no way they had free reign. It blows, its not real UM.

Sooooo, they're sell outs? Or they don't really care about their city enough that they'd be willing to rip off the taxpayers money for a "fat check"? They don't have enough self dignity to write something they can at least be proud of and not make fun of on youtube just a few days later? I couldn't care less, I'm just saying, trying to defend it as if they did it for the money's worse than writing a lame tune. That'd just be sad really.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 30, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
Quote from: macaronihead on April 30, 2012, 02:27:44 PM

Sooooo, they're sell outs? Or they don't really care about their city enough that they'd be willing to rip off the taxpayers money for a "fat check"? They don't have enough self dignity to write something they can at least be proud of and not make fun of on youtube just a few days later? I couldn't care less, I'm just saying, trying to defend it as if they did it for the money's worse than writing a lame tune. That'd just be sad really.

Don't be such a hypocrite, you were fully willing to look the other way when Phish wrote that lame ass "It's Burly in Burlington" jingle!   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.