News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fox News: At it again

Started by VDB, April 19, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 31, 2012, 01:35:20 AM
THIS WAS ON FOX NEWS WEB SITE:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/08/30/paul-ryans-speech-in-three-words/

QuotePaul Ryan's speech in 3 words

2. Deceiving

On the other hand, to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to facts, Ryan's speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech. On this measure, while it was  Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold.

The good news is that the Romney-Ryan campaign has likely created dozens of new jobs among the legions of additional fact checkers that media outlets are rushing to hire to sift through the mountain of cow dung that flowed from Ryan's mouth. Said fact checkers have already condemned certain arguments that Ryan still irresponsibly repeated.

Fact: While Ryan tried to pin the downgrade of the United States' credit rating on spending under President Obama, the credit rating was actually downgraded because Republicans threatened not to raise the debt ceiling.

Fact: While Ryan blamed President Obama for the shut down of a GM plant in Janesville, Wisconsin, the plant was actually closed under President George W. Bush. Ryan actually asked for federal spending to save the plant, while Romney has criticized the auto industry bailout that President Obama ultimately enacted to prevent other plants from closing.

Fact: Though Ryan insisted that President Obama wants to give all the credit for private sector success to government, that isn't what the president said. Period.

Fact: Though Paul Ryan accused President Obama of taking $716 billion out of Medicare, the fact is that that amount was savings in Medicare reimbursement rates (which, incidentally, save Medicare recipients out-of-pocket costs, too) and Ryan himself embraced these savings in his budget plan.

Elections should be about competing based on your record in the past and your vision for the future, not competing to see who can get away with the most lies and distortions without voters noticing or bother to care. Both parties should hold themselves to that standard. Republicans should be ashamed that there was even one misrepresentation in Ryan's speech but sadly, there were many.

Thanks for posting that for the 3rd time

Superfreakie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 31, 2012, 02:14:53 AM
Thanks for posting that for the 3rd time

as yes, I just got home and was watching Colbert on DVR............... I dvr all my TV watching so learn everything about 4 hours later than the rest of the population. My news, tv shows, my sports.....  :frustrated: I should just move to the left coast.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

VDB

Wondering how Fox News is covering the recently leaked Romney video in which he says 47% of the country is dependent on the government and incapable of personal responsibility as evidenced by their support for Obama?

Well, they're trying not to. First, the story isn't currently mentioned anywhere on FN.com's front page, even though virtually every other major news outlet has this as among their top stories. (And rightly so. This is a presidential candidate writing off and disparaging half the US population. Pretty incendiary and newsworthy if you ask me.) On FN, you have to go to the Politics tab to find their take on the story. And even then, I love how FN frames it. "Obama campaign criticizes Romney comments." This is a trademark FN touch. It's never simply "Romney says XYZ," because then you'd have to deal with the issue on its face and what it means. By reporting the story (however grudgingly) in the context of how the Obama campaign is responding to it, FN conveniently gets to cast the controversy as just more campaign bickering, and we know you can't put stock in anything coming from the Obama camp anyway. Among the FN audience, Obama and his people have zero credibility, so reporting on their reaction to something astonishingly stupid that Romney did as opposed to reporting on what Romney said gives FN that conveneint out of not having to completely call out their guy but still paying lip service to their obligation as a supposed news agency to report important news.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 17, 2012, 10:36:04 PM
Wondering how Fox News is covering the recently leaked Romney video in which he says 47% of the country is dependent on the government and incapable of personal responsibility as evidenced by their support for Obama?

Well, they're trying not to. First, the story isn't currently mentioned anywhere on FN.com's front page, even though virtually every other major news outlet has this as among their top stories. (And rightly so. This is a presidential candidate writing off and disparaging half the US population. Pretty incendiary and newsworthy if you ask me.) On FN, you have to go to the Politics tab to find their take on the story. And even then, I love how FN frames it. "Obama campaign criticizes Romney comments." This is a trademark FN touch. It's never simply "Romney says XYZ," because then you'd have to deal with the issue on its face and what it means. By reporting the story (however grudgingly) in the context of how the Obama campaign is responding to it, FN conveniently gets to cast the controversy as just more campaign bickering, and we know you can't put stock in anything coming from the Obama camp anyway. Among the FN audience, Obama and his people have zero credibility, so reporting on their reaction to something astonishingly stupid that Romney did as opposed to reporting on what Romney said gives FN that conveneint out of not having to completely call out their guy but still paying lip service to their obligation as a supposed news agency to report important news.

Solid analysis.

Also, Romney's goose is cooked with this one. Game over.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

runawayjimbo

See, this is where you confuse me, VDB. You quite correctly point out in the other thread that there is no such thing as truth in journalism anymore (which reminds me, I need to get back to you on some examples of flagrant Democratic BS, of which there are many) but then you fixate on this story which, IMO, is no more newsworthy than Obama being secretly recorded at a private fundraiser saying "bitter clingers" (although since you are one of those "bitter clingers" you probably took more offense to that one than I did as well :wink: ). I mean, what does this tell us about Romney that we didn't already know? What insight do we gain on who he would govern or what specific policies he would push for? The only thing I can tell from this statement is that Romney is willing to say anything to anybody if he thinks it will help him win, a long-documented phenomenon in politics and one in which Romney has dabbled considerably more than most.

Meanwhile, Romney attacks the "entitlement society" in the video, but he hammers Obama on the campaign trail on a daily basis for "raiding" $700B in Medicare and has promised to defend the program. He decries Obama's fiscal irresponsibility while promising to expand the defense budget AND lower taxes. In other words, every single word that comes out of this man's mouth should not be scrutinized and checked for consistency because his message varies with his audiences. Does that mean he cannot be trusted and is therefore unfit for the Presidency? That's for you to decide. But as I go to painstaking lengths to point out, Romney is not the only candidate for office with a knack for telling people what they want to hear.

I guess I agree with your overall point that Fox treats "news" differently than any other outlet but that is hardly a BREAKING development. And again, I'm not convinced it doesn't run both ways: I don't recall, but I bet if you looked back at the mainstream coverage of Bitter-Clinger-gate, there was a much different tone to the "reporting" than the current level of outrage. I also question the timing of this latest revelation; if the fundraiser was in May, why is this just becoming so important now, in the middle of a difficult week for the administration on the foreign policy front?

To me, this is nothing more than another example of how the campaigns and media outlets do a great disservice to the voters. This is not news, it is simply noise to further perpetuate the (IMO) ridiculous notion that the two parties really are very different from one another. Yet we have a Republican promising to defend Medicare and Social Security from the meddling Democrats. And we have a Democrat who has argued he has the power to intervene in Libya because it was merely "hostilities", who LOVES drone attacks in a country that is supposedly an ally, and who's Justice Dept is now appealing a judge's ruling that the indefinite detention provision of the NDAA is unconstitutional because they already had that power anyway. You figure that one out.

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 18, 2012, 09:43:08 AM
Also, Romney's goose is cooked with this one. Game over.

Don't be silly. One of literally hundreds of Romney gaffes will not determine the election. Uncle Ben's Adventures in Money Printing (aka, Dow15k or bust!!) will have far more influence over the outcome than something stupid that came out of a dumb guy's mouth.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on September 18, 2012, 10:40:52 AMthis story which, IMO, is no more newsworthy than Obama being secretly recorded at a private fundraiser saying "bitter clingers"

I disagree; I think the two of them were making different points. Now, first of all, Obama should have known better than to say something like that because it's just obvious red meat for his opponents and their supporters. But, in the context of his remarks, Obama was saying that after being failed economically by successive administrations of both parties, he can understand why some people figure economic help isn't coming from any direction and thus they get exasperated and they fixate, as political matters, on things like guns or religion or xenophobia or what have you. Is he wrong? I don't think you can say he is entirely.

Romney, I think, was making a much more sweeping comment about basically any single person who would vote for Barack Obama (roughly half the country), that they can never be convinced that "they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," and they have a freeloader's sense of entitlement. They, unlike a small group of independents, aren't "thoughtful."

I do understand, as Romney has tried to explain since, that he was trying to outline an electoral strategy to a donor, and thus what sounds like writing off half the country was maybe a fairly realistic assessment of where the polls are and where he should focus his energy. But Romney didn't just say "You know, Obama has his voters and he is going to get his percentage. But here's my path to victory." No, he kept piling on the derision and you can see what a low opinion Romney apparently has of people, as individuals, who would cast a vote for his opponent. It's not only divisive, but I think to a fairly large extent it's a complete straw man. Sure, it's easy to feel like you're on the side of righteousness when you've invented an opponent and a voter like what Romney describes.

And to your point, I don't think this reveals a whole lot about Romney to people smart enough to guess how he probably feels about The Other Side, but he's never been so blatant and personally demeaning in his comments before. So I think it's newsworthy during a campaign.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Dude's campaign is in complete disarray at this point and personally I think his comments betray a "circle the wagons and make our last stand" type of mentality.

It's pretty awesome to watch him go down in flames like this from where I sit. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: Hicks on September 18, 2012, 01:21:46 PM
Dude's campaign is in complete disarray at this point and personally I think his comments betray a "circle the wagons and make our last stand" type of mentality.

Agreed. It IS entertaining.

kellerb

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 18, 2012, 01:32:40 PM

It sure is.  But, sitting in Indiana, I'm still worrying that its not enough.

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on September 18, 2012, 09:35:01 PM

There are a lot of people in this country that are too stupid to be insulted.

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 18, 2012, 11:07:29 PM

According to Mitt Romney, that number is roughly 53% of the population.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

ytowndan

Quote from: McGrupp on September 18, 2012, 11:27:35 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

gah

Quote from: ytowndan on September 19, 2012, 12:29:01 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on September 18, 2012, 11:27:35 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Well done sir!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

VDB

BIAS ALERT! BIAS ALERT!

Study: Networks seized on Romney's hidden-camera remark, downplayed Obama's

The big three broadcast networks devoted dozens of stories last week to Mitt Romney's supposed "47 percent" gaffe but gave just a fraction of that air time to covering an audio tape of controversial remarks by President Obama, according to the Media Research Center.

The MRC examined how much total air time each story got last week and found coverage of the Romney remarks overpowered coverage of the Obama remarks by a 13-1 ratio.

The center found that ABC, CBS and NBC - on their evening and morning shows -- spent 88 minutes and 42 total stories on Romney. They spent six and a half minutes and eight stories on Obama.

The Obama quote purportedly was from a 1998 conference at Loyola University. In an audio recording posted online, the young Obama could be heard telling the audience he believes there has been "a propaganda campaign against the possibility of government action and its efficacy."

"I think that what we're going to have to do is somehow resuscitate the notion that government action can be effective at all," Obama said. "I think the trick is figuring out how do we structure government systems that pool resources and hence facilitate some redistribution -- because I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level to make sure that everybody's got a shot."

The Romney campaign tried to draw attention to that clip after Democrats had hammered him over hidden-camera footage of remarks he made to donors in May about people who don't pay taxes.

He said: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. ... "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it."

Romney said that, as a presidential candidate, he didn't have to "worry about those people."

The Media Research Center estimated that if the coverage of each was compared starting with when the Obama recording emerged last Tuesday night, the coverage of Romney still outpaces that of Obama by a 10-1 ratio.

"The double-standard within just one week of the news cycle is staggering," the center wrote in its analysis.

Give me a fucking break. This is a front page story on FN.com right now with the big red headline "BIAS ALERT".

Basically they're saying that they media are being unfair to poor Mitt for talking about what he said more than something Obama said. Even though one of those remarks was made in the midst of a current presidential campaign, and the other one was made 14 years ago. Nevermind the actual differences between the substances of the two remarks.
Is this still Wombat?