News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

deer creek and alpine

Started by catfish sean, January 10, 2009, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfish sean

I am wondering what these venues are like?? What are the camping situations like at these venues??? I need some info. this is going to be off the hook. I am so psyched.

I have always wanted to go to both venues.... It looks like I will be going to both this summer. One of my best friends just moved to chicago.  I'm either going to drive from boston to deer creek then to chicago then alpine, or just fly into chicago and drive to deer creek and alpine.

disco

the camping for DC is extremely laid back (or at least has been in the past) there are some family farm type things that allow hassle free camping fairly close to the venue. A pretty long walk, but a short drive....just gotta draw straws. total size is around 22k iirc and the sound is nice on the lawn or in the pavilion. Overall a fun venue and the pheesh seem to bring it when playing there.

alpine is monstrous, just under 40k and has a extremely steep lawn. def not my favorite venue....if you're in the pavilion it's much better but you can get quite lost in the lawn. Security there is also waaaay over the top. They've done some pretty crazy things, they being venue security and local police, over the years. No smoking in the proximity of the venue and keep everything well hidden. Camping for alpine is not quite as nice as DC there are multiple places around the area including a state park or two. For the 04 run we stayed a some dudes farm who provided a shuttle. He also provided other things....it was by far the best way to go. They had 2 school buses that would get all the campers to and from the venue with some local band that played some solid dead covers around the fire after the show.

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

catfish sean

that is the kind of info I am looking for.

I heard that both of those places have family farms nearby that let you camp for a reasonable fee.

like the dead in highgate type of setup is what I heard.

Is this true?? Or do I need to think about an actual campground to go to??

disco

go for the farms, the crowd will be much more conducive to late nights and will have drastically less restrictions. Most of them are fairly well established, just do some googling and you should get some phone numbers at the very least

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

catfish sean

right.... that is pretty much what I figured.... I just don't want to show up there and be sleeping on the side of the road

jedifunk

camping at alpine is a new thing... there never used to be camping there (or at least i never saw it).

do they still do "official" camping at DC?  that shit was a joke, and shady.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

keeb333

Quote from: jedifunk on January 10, 2009, 10:39:37 AM
camping at alpine is a new thing... there never used to be camping there (or at least i never saw it).

do they still do "official" camping at DC?  that shit was a joke, and shady really fun.

FYP

birdman

Be aware that in the past there have been police Checkpoints set up outside of Deer Creek. I'm not sure if this is still  the case, but be prepared to possibly have your shit searched after the show.
Paug FTMFW!

keeb333

Quote from: birdman on January 10, 2009, 10:56:10 AM
Be aware that in the past there have been police Checkpoints set up outside of Deer Creek. I'm not sure if this is still  the case, but be prepared to possibly have your shit searched after the show.

Is that like, immediately after the show, or in the morning (when campers would be leaving)?

jedifunk

Quote from: keeb333 on January 10, 2009, 10:54:23 AM
Quote from: jedifunk on January 10, 2009, 10:39:37 AM

do they still do "official" camping at DC?  that shit was a joke, and shady really fun.

FYP

completely wrong... the official campsites were a joke... overpriced, not enough of the basic services (bathrooms, water, etc)... shady with undercovers and police...

you may have had a good time, but they were still a joke
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I never had a problem at the official on-site camping at Deer Creek.  Although I saw some people get taken out of there in body bags in 2000 - not the coolest.

Think about it people - camping?  Really?

If you like camping, go camping or even Bonnaroo.  If you like Phish Tour, stay in hotels, sleep in, save your energy and don't smell when it's showtime.

G. Augusto

Quote from: mattstick on January 10, 2009, 01:15:14 PM

If you like camping, go camping or even Bonnaroo.  If you like Phish Tour, stay in hotels, sleep in, save your energy and don't smell when it's showtime.

{{{H3TTY}}}

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mattstick on January 10, 2009, 01:15:14 PM
Think about it people - camping?  Really?

Really? I would think camping after Phish would be all a part of the fun, besides, hotels = much more money than camping....
Bring in the dude!

jedifunk

i agree with matt... hotels are the way to go... after we stopped camping and shit, i stopped being grumpy (well, most of the time)...

some of my favorite tour things
- hot shower
- own bed
- freshie socks for every show (probably my #1 favorite thing)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Marmar

I'm confident the lawn at Alpine is the 7th Gateway to Hell......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.