News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

OGOGO

Started by Marmar, September 15, 2017, 09:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

What are your thoughts?

Here's my take....

I like it. It's like low-fi techno. It's also very pop.....well, as pop as someone like Gordon can be. You can hear 80's elements, as well as newer influences.....

Dare I say.....Let's Go might actually get radio airplay?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mopper_smurf

Mine should be here on Monday. I liked the ones he put up on YouTube.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

emay

Quote from: Marmar on September 15, 2017, 09:33:31 AM
What are your thoughts?

Here's my take....

I like it. It's like low-fi techno. It's also very pop.....well, as pop as someone like Gordon can be. You can hear 80's elements, as well as newer influences.....

Dare I say.....Let's Go might actually get radio airplay?

Your review intrigues me, will have to spin this on the way home today.

VDB

I'll agree – this album is pretty good, with a fairly contemporary feel throughout. I was pleasantly surprised.

"Let's Go" certainly has a lot to recommend it to the mainstream, but frankly Gordo's vocals aren't strong enough for pop radio.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

It's uh, certainly something different from Mike and I like it a lot better than Overstep which I thought was pretty annoying/grating. 

I guess it's a solid effort but like most Mike solo stuff, or Phish studio stuff for that matter, I doubt I'll be listening to it much after it's a couple months old. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I skipped Overstep after really not caring for Moss.

Also, this is the superior version of Crazy Sometimes.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Moss has some good cuts on it, Horizon Line, Spiral, Babylon Baby, Idea, in fact it might be my favorite album of his. 

Overstep on the other hand sounds like Weird Al trying to make "serious" music. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Quote from: Hicks on September 22, 2017, 06:38:22 PM
It's uh, certainly something different from Mike and I like it a lot better than Overstep which I thought was pretty annoying/grating. 

I guess it's a solid effort but like most Mike solo stuff, or Phish studio stuff for that matter, I doubt I'll be listening to it much after it's a couple months old.

Clone should be in regular rotation.

anthrax

Just put the new mike album on.  About 3 tracks in, I started wondering why I wasn't listening to phish.  Now happily lapping up jam night.

Caravan2001

Is Overtstep the last one?  The red and blue one?  You guys are craze.  That's a great album.  Ton of good cuts on there.  Is this new one a double LP too?  Haven't got around to playing it (since none of my local stores have the album).

mistercharlie

It's no Green Sparrow.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 22, 2017, 07:45:24 PM
Is Overtstep the last one?  The red and blue one?  You guys are craze.  That's a great album.  Ton of good cuts on there.  Is this new one a double LP too?  Haven't got around to playing it (since none of my local stores have the album).

Yeah the red and blue one.  I guess I could give it another shot but I pretty much hated it. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 22, 2017, 08:18:40 PM

Yeah the red and blue one.  I guess I could give it another shot but I pretty much hated it.

I really like it.  I think there are some songs that could have been left out and it could have been a much stronger single album, but I play it pretty often and like it.

Just streamed OGOGO off of LP and have to say I really like it too.  It's a departure, which I like.  Going to wait to heat the vinyl for full review of the production, but on the stream, the bass is banging.  Have a bunch of friends at the shows this weekend and a couple that are doing the whole tour.  Not sure I like it that much, but I sure wish he was coming to Ptown.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 22, 2017, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 22, 2017, 08:18:40 PM

I really like it.  I think there are some songs that could have been left out and it could have been a much stronger single album, but I play it pretty often and like it.

Just streamed OGOGO off of LP and have to say I really like it too.  It's a departure, which I like.  Going to wait to heat the vinyl for full review of the production, but on the stream, the bass is banging.  Have a bunch of friends at the shows this weekend and a couple that are doing the whole tour.  Not sure I like it that much, but I sure wish he was coming to Ptown.

That last show we saw at the Crystal was awesome. Would even consider traveling to Seattle or Eugene to see MGB. 

Marmar

I really dig the low-fi grit the album has going for it.....the multi-tracking this album has is absolutely insane.....there is a TON of sonic depth to all the instruments. Hard to tell if its a drum machine, or real drums at times....which I dig....

Of course, Victim....Crazy Sometimes....and Let's Go are the best 3 tracks on the album with Whirlwind making honorable mention.....IMHO.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.