News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Entering Setlists

Started by jephrey, September 15, 2005, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

your ticket stubs arent showing up.  i'll post mine.

i uploaded the following summer 97 stubs:
-7/29
7/30
7/31
8/02
8/03
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

hey what do you think about this idea?

on the tour or year pages, instead of a top 5/10 shows, how about just songs/jams?  at this point we all know what the top shows are, but putting up specific jams would be cool and unique.  what do you think?
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

SWEET!  I actually didn't have any of those stubs, I am just making placeholders.  It's pretty sweet, I just put the name and when you uploaded them they showed up.  This'll be cool for other users uploading ones we don't have...  I changed the island tour ones to placeholders as well...  I'll ask the community for stubs... I was using png, I don't know if that's the best or not but it was easy for me.  We can use whatever, but it's nice to have continuity.

We're kinda unlimited on what we can do, why not have both shows and/or  jams???  That kinda looks how it is now eh?  There could/should also be stats like most played songs, most likely first set opener etc.  It seems that tables are the way to do this.  It seems like we're on the right track with this stuff.

Everything seems to be moving along albeit slowly.  After we finish a tour or a couple and get maybe 20 songs and a couple more year and tour pages finished, I think we'll be rolling and be able to get things finished quickly.  I can be doing something like 5 shows, 2 songs a day, as well as continuing to help in formatting the year and tour pages.  We must focus on setlists and songs, because that's the imperative stuff.  If we get even a couple years finished, we'll be on our way.  I bet I can finish 2002 pretty quickly :-D.  And PH should be easier as well as being the most necessary (because that's what we're missing in the paper books). 

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

i've got stubs for 99% of 1999, and about 98% for summer 98, and all of fall 98 till UIC, i've got a lot of 2000 too, but its not scanned in.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

august has a load of stuff and of course, we're looking for mail-order first, but will post what we got.

I'll start a new thread concerning help so check it...

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

ok, a few things we need to discuss about setlists that i noticed while adding some today.

1. song abbreviation- we've got to set some standards, cuz i know we all do it different.  i like mine short and sweet, to the point (ie: dwd, yem, split, theme, bouncin, tmwsiy, etc).  the mockingbird goes all the way (ie: down with disease, you enjoy myself, etc)

2. jams... what are we gonna do about jams.  i've been using mockingbird as a go off of place.  and they have some things simply listed as "jam"...  if we do the same, how could we possible try to link to a "jam" song page.  so we'll have to do something like livephish does, and say something like "worchester jam".  see how i've done this on 11/30/97 & 12/3/97.

welp, i'm cruising along on some of this.  much easier if you do one thing at a time, like all quick setlists.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

1.  I was under the impression that we'd do no abbreviations.  slightly possibly more work now, none later, no confusion.  I know we all know YEM but what the hey.  We usually use a copy-paste and then modify anyway, so no real extra typing.

2.  Just thinking about this, I like the singular "Jam" designation...  Here's why.
pro.  There won't be all these different pages, one for each jam.  Unless we want that kind of information for each individual jam (I think it can be put iin the notes)
pro.  With "Jam", theres one page called Jam, and then like other song pages, it lists each instance.  The notes for each instance could tell a little about each jam.  Basically, If I wanted to go search out all Jams, they'd be there on one page. -- rebuttal: We could have both the jam page and the individual jams with their own pages.  Although tedious, you could convince me.

con.  In general, we'd just have to create a lot of pages with a tiny bit of info on each.

Thoughts?

3.  Yeah, I did a few at work today and now am moving on...  Did you see all the stubs at phantasytour?  Those are user uploads which means (I think) that they are public property and we could use them...  Should we?  Or should we continue our grassroots?

4.  Where's RJ?  Work?  Who the hell works?

Jephrey

August

as far as stubs go, i think we should try and get what we have first, and if we need to, down the road, can maybe "borrow" from pt or that expresso beans site, if that is possible.
my mail order list is up.
jephrey has all my others and i can get a bunch from my brother, including euro 98 and a ton of 92-95.
joseph august

jephrey

I agree, even though it's more work, I like the grassroots effort.

Jephrey

jephrey

Jedi,

I noticed on a few setlists, your use of [[You Enjoy Myself|YEM]]...  :oops: I changed it to just the full name in the ones that I made a details page for, but didn't look in others.

If everyone likes this then I'm for it BUT... 

1.  It's harder to enter because (and I'm sure you use it too) I use a copy paste and don't want to have to add any more text.
2.  It doesn't add any value.  If folks use these for their text files, it's a copy/paste.  The only need for abbreviations is if you're writing by hand or typing.  If you're pasting, there's no harm in the full name and the abbreviation doesn't get you anything.
3.  I'd have to go back and update all the other setlists that I have entered (in both places)

What do the rest of you think?

Jeprhey

August

it makes it uniform, which is good.
in many ways, the wiki is almost like "Phish For Dummies".
i mean, WE all know common abbreviations, that a HYHU is gonna follow a fish tune, who tom marshal is etc....
it really will become everything that there is to know about phish.
but to keep everything congruent, i think the full title is best.
"hey man.that mcgrupp and the watchful hosemasters ripped!"
"not as much as the man who stepped into yesterday did"
joseph august

jedifunk

i've also done it with a few DWD too, and also a Mcgrupps somewhere.

i figured we are still in beta stage, so i wanted to try it.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Cool, do you mind if I am making the details pages for the setlists you are putting on the setlists page?  Maybe that's a good system of checks and balances?  I've got it down to a groove and can do it pretty quickly.  I'm probably under 1 hour for 6 shows beginning to end (It's easier if you do 4-6 at a time).  And it takes me under 5 to make a details page with minimal notes.  I'll continue on early 97 and some later 97.  It'd be nice to get that buttoned up just to have an entire year to look at.

Jephrey

jedifunk

yeah thats great.

i actually like doing the "at a glance" setlists and the year pages more than doing the full setlist pages.  so if you take those, i'll keep cranking out the quick setlists and the year pages.

perhaps though, we should finish up 1997 and then hold off on other years.  that way we can work out all the kinks and make everything the way we like it and then just mass produce the other years...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

i was thinking that too.
there is still a hanful of euro 97 (first leg) that is not up yet.
i dont mind doing the setlists (both forms).
it might be a little easier if we assign one aspect to each of us, that way we can at least concentrate on one year at a time.
joseph august