News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: ph92 on January 28, 2017, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 19, 2017, 06:51:50 PM
well, im in a bit of a quandry now... im considering returning and getting a different tv.
the quality of the set is fantastic, but after a week of watching tv, movies and playing games i'm having a real hard time getting used to the upscaling effects.
-Gaming Especially can just get really blurry or grainy textures that bug me because i end up having to squint alot to focus.
same goes for lower resolution content like cable tv for the most part.

ugh, im really torn on what to do about this.
one of the reasons i went ahead and went for the 4k wasnt really for the hdr abilities but b/c there arent really quality 1080p options thanks to the marketing of the industry...
I'd hate to return this set and grab a 1080p that isnt good enough.
fucking pickle created by  a tech. gap. Basically a bad time to be looking for a set.
Upscaling is soooo strange looking. It's *TOO* real. I kinda hate it.

But I'm looking for a new monitor for my PC at home.
yeah i actually ended up returning my tv and getting a cheap 1080 one.

After 2 weeks with the 4k i finally figured out exactly what was bothering me.
Basically if i sat within the viewing distance able to percieve 4k pixels i was fine and the picture was in focus and amazing even for upscaled.
The problem was that since i only had a 40" that meant I had to sit 2' or closer... woulda been perfect for a desktop monitor setup but i sit about 5'-6' back, especially for watching tv.
Any time i sat further back than 2-2 1/2 ' i found myself having to squint to focus and it just felt blurry. there was no way i could deal with it.

Sucks... its hard to unsee how sick that picture was compared to my new one... and my input lag is back up to 26ms from 19, which still is pretty good but nowhere near as twitchy.
Luckily my response tiem is twice as good on my new set so it sorta makes up for it, and i have zero motion blur now when the 4k had a small consistent amount.

UPscalers are definetely one of the ways to make a tv cheaper, though i have to say i think the viewing distance is the real issue for visually sensitive people.
ITs the reason why they really only make 50+" 4ks for tv.
I definitely recommend taking your viewing distance into account for anyone considering getting one even if the upscaling is great.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ph92

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 29, 2017, 04:09:50 PM
Quote from: ph92 on January 28, 2017, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 19, 2017, 06:51:50 PM
well, im in a bit of a quandry now... im considering returning and getting a different tv.
the quality of the set is fantastic, but after a week of watching tv, movies and playing games i'm having a real hard time getting used to the upscaling effects.
-Gaming Especially can just get really blurry or grainy textures that bug me because i end up having to squint alot to focus.
same goes for lower resolution content like cable tv for the most part.

ugh, im really torn on what to do about this.
one of the reasons i went ahead and went for the 4k wasnt really for the hdr abilities but b/c there arent really quality 1080p options thanks to the marketing of the industry...
I'd hate to return this set and grab a 1080p that isnt good enough.
fucking pickle created by  a tech. gap. Basically a bad time to be looking for a set.
Upscaling is soooo strange looking. It's *TOO* real. I kinda hate it.

But I'm looking for a new monitor for my PC at home.
yeah i actually ended up returning my tv and getting a cheap 1080 one.

After 2 weeks with the 4k i finally figured out exactly what was bothering me.
Basically if i sat within the viewing distance able to percieve 4k pixels i was fine and the picture was in focus and amazing even for upscaled.
The problem was that since i only had a 40" that meant I had to sit 2' or closer... woulda been perfect for a desktop monitor setup but i sit about 5'-6' back, especially for watching tv.
Any time i sat further back than 2-2 1/2 ' i found myself having to squint to focus and it just felt blurry. there was no way i could deal with it.

Sucks... its hard to unsee how sick that picture was compared to my new one... and my input lag is back up to 26ms from 19, which still is pretty good but nowhere near as twitchy.
Luckily my response tiem is twice as good on my new set so it sorta makes up for it, and i have zero motion blur now when the 4k had a small consistent amount.

UPscalers are definetely one of the ways to make a tv cheaper, though i have to say i think the viewing distance is the real issue for visually sensitive people.
ITs the reason why they really only make 50+" 4ks for tv.
I definitely recommend taking your viewing distance into account for anyone considering getting one even if the upscaling is great.
Oh you know I sit about 6" from my screen when I'm gaming haha. Counter strike cannot be played at a distance for me. My eyesight is already bad (I wonder why  :roll: ), but I need to see ANY movement at all to play that game well. Not to mention its just how I've played for years. I setup my player model settings for it and everything.

But I've just been thinking about moving up to like 30" or slightly bigger, right now I have 2 27" 1080p Acer monitors. And my new setup does not allow to use both monitors, so I'm thinking just one that's bigger will suffice. But I'm gonna stick to 1080p as I don't have graphics cards good enough to run a 4k monitor. Or at least use the 4k to it's fullest potential. And anyway I don't game a whole lot anymore anyway, so I'm mostly looking for something for movies. And I sit far enough back when I'm watching those that I need something that runs about the same from real close, to about 5' back.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on January 11, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
yup, ps3 let you do it but I've heard of issues too. 

with xb1, you can easily play games right off externals, and it's fast as hell.  in fact, faster than the factory drive, even using a standard HD - meaning you can load games faster off the externals than internal.  some people try out hybrid or straight-up SSD externals for more speed, but most tests have shown that to be a waste of money - it may transfer things faster between internal and external that way, but the games don't generally load any faster off SSD than a regular HD.
welp, apparently Ps4 is getting external HD support in their next update. yay!

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on February 03, 2017, 10:32:45 PM
Quote from: tet on January 11, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
yup, ps3 let you do it but I've heard of issues too. 

with xb1, you can easily play games right off externals, and it's fast as hell.  in fact, faster than the factory drive, even using a standard HD - meaning you can load games faster off the externals than internal.  some people try out hybrid or straight-up SSD externals for more speed, but most tests have shown that to be a waste of money - it may transfer things faster between internal and external that way, but the games don't generally load any faster off SSD than a regular HD.
welp, apparently Ps4 is getting external HD support in their next update. yay!

yeah I just heard that - it's definitely a huge help. I honestly don't know if I would have jumped on the XB1 so quickly without it, as I was very happy with the 360 still at that point.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

FOR HONOR open beta/ free demo this weekend. this game is amazingly badass.
i suck at it but im still addicted, lol.

VA $l!m

i am so unbelieveably addicted to For Honor.
you know you love a game when you're willing to put up with shitty servers and technical errors left and right.
the combat is so fucking juicy.
i wanna upload some clips, but i get hypercritical when i make mistakes, lol.
im pretty much maining the deulwielding female knight assassin the "Peacekeeper". OMG i love her. :samurai:

Lifeboy

I'm looking forward to checking it out for sure. My kind of game.

I'm still stuck on Dayz Standalone and the 'Exile' mod for Arma 3. Amazing experience. So open-ended, and a great community in those servers. I HIGHLY suggest you check out some Arma 3 Exile videos, slim. They're right up your ally as far as military games go. Hell, Arma 3 is a realistic military sim. Dayz was originally a mod for arma 2, but got so popular, and standalone version was made.

It's coming to ps4, too.

Also check out Planetside 2. It was a PC-exclusive for the longest, but it's on PS4 now. And its free. Its a Sony game. I'm sure you've seen me rant and rave about it a while back.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VA $l!m

Multibeast12

So I vanished into the magical game that is Breath of the Wild. All I can say is that I have never played or experienced such an incredible RPG before. Nintendo hit a grand slam with this game.

rowjimmy

So I have an xbox one now.

Not too many games.

What should I buy myself for Father's day?

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 14, 2017, 11:48:41 AM

Not too many games.

My brother-in-law gave us his original xbox one when the new version came out. I've only bought Batman: Arkham Knight for it. Other than that we use it as a blu-ray player and that's it.

Although I do want to get the Elder Scrolls games for it someday.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

tet

Not too many games.

depends what sort of stuff you like...  shooters?  platformers?  RPG/fantasy? 
-Phish

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on June 14, 2017, 08:10:36 PM

Not too many games.

depends what sort of stuff you like...  shooters?  platformers?  RPG/fantasy?

I'm into RPGs... Not a big shooter guy although I understand a new Battlefront is coming this fall so I should wait for that?

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2017, 11:41:42 AM
I'm into RPGs... Not a big shooter guy although I understand a new Battlefront is coming this fall so I should wait for that?
if you've never played Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, then it's worth picking that up.  Fallout 4 is also amazing.  Both require a ton of time.  Destiny is great but it's about to come to an end with Destiny 2 coming out in a couple of months, so no reason to start with that now, unless you want to get your feet wet.  It's also a major time commitment. 

I'm excited for the new Battlefront, it looks amazing, but I'm holding off pre-ordering because of all the issues with EA games on launch these days. 
-Phish

Bobafett

Yes to elder scrolls.  Also the new final fantasy is pretty rad if you like that franchise.

I've been playing stardew valley for some peaceful farming/stress relief.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.