News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Shn/Flac, md5's & ffp's, what are these things and why we have 'em

Started by disco, January 01, 2007, 08:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disco

I've gotten a few questions as of late about checksums and some other digital music questions, here is a decent lil' md5 and lossless info page, its a few years old, but it seems to be accurate and informative, if anyone catches that this page has a big error I didnt notice, post it here. Here's the link, this should answer most questions, if you have more ask em in here

http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html

using checksums is important to preserving the integrity of the recordings we enjoy, everyone should know about this stuff, read up if ya don't!!
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

ytowndan

Question...
I just dug out a show from my archive to seed for an ISO.  I put it on the HD and verified the .md5s, everything verified OK.  The fileset also has .wav .md5s (I have never even been too sure what these are), however the .wav .md5 for disc 1 isn't there.  I don't know if the fileset was like this when I got it or if I somehow left it out when archiving it to DVD.  But, there is one for discs 2 and 3.  So I guess my question is what purpose do wav md5s serve?   Should I just seed it anyways, or should I pass?  I would love to fill this ISO but I wouldn't want seed a "bad" fileset.
Thanks,
Dan
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

tet

IMO, the .WAV MD5s are pointless.  some might disagree, but i think that if you have a fileset with MD5s that all verify, and are identical to the ones others have posted at db.etree.org, then i don't see a problem with just seeding the SHNs with their own MD5s, eliminating the WAV MD5s totally.  it's redundancy that they are good for, but not required. 

of course, that's just my opinion.  i could be wrong. 

/wouldn't be an issue if everyone listened to me and converted their shit to FLAC...
//shuts up
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

August

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

disco

the wav's are there to confirm that you went from shn>wav successfully, but since we don't trade in wav files there really isn't much of a need for them

www.week4paug.net

Marmar

I seem to remember a bunch of shows forced into SHN seeding when FLAC was widespread......

http://db.etree.org/oldschool_project

Ring a bell anyone?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

I seem to remember that Furthur had technical ambitions that kept FLAC out of its network until it was well past due. Twas one of the many reasons I walked away from that project.

DoW

since the old school project is one of my favorite projects to listen to (thanks to all involved), I've converted them to mp3 and mailed them to everyone I know to seed for years to come.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

disco

www.week4paug.net