News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

01/01 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Quote from: Hicks on January 09, 2011, 12:00:52 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 08, 2011, 07:49:27 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 08, 2011, 06:38:10 PM
I don't see how anyone could listen to the Twist, Simple sequence and not think it is easily the best 20 minute sequence of the run.  Probably some of the best improv I have heard since the Greek Light.

I can't see that.   

I just re-visited this segment -- I enjoyed it a lot, Trey's playing is on point.... BUT..... where's my type 2 yo?!

The only REAL jamming out of this segment is literally the last 2:30 of Simple.  Everything else is pretty straight forward.

It may not be type II but the Twist has the effortless quality that has been missing, so I give high marks for that.

yes, the whole set has that feel to me.

Superfreakie

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on January 07, 2011, 10:36:42 AM
Some parts of 12/30 it seemed like he couldn't keep in sync with fishman for the life of him...

This. But he also had this trouble to begin the evening of 1/1/11. See Foam. But on this note I'm going to eek out one criticism which I really thought I would of never said about this run. Fishman was really off at times. To the point where I think some of trey's lapses should be attributed to Fishman's confusion. Now, maybe he had a couple wobbly pops, it was NYE after all, but after impressing me throughout 2010 as the most improved, I was really surprised at his playing during these MSG shows. Have yet to fully digest the woosta nights.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

blatboom

it just seems like for whatever reason Trey's fingers can't do what his brain is telling them to

emay

Quote from: blatboom on January 09, 2011, 12:21:57 AM
it just seems like for whatever reason Trey's fingers can't do what his brain is telling them to

well we know why that is on 1/1  :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

WhatstheUse?

Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think Trey is completely sober -- even on NYE.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 10, 2011, 09:42:09 PM
Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think Trey is completely sober -- even on NYE.
I'm right there with ya.  Nothing I've seen indicates he's on anything and I would imagine he has a sponsor on tour with them (not to mention all eyes on him).  So that would make it pretty difficult to indulge.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

postjack

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 10, 2011, 09:42:09 PM

agreed. sometimes its hard for people to accept that stunt just rhymes really well with blunt. also blunts are pretty much always hilarious, even if you don't get high.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

McGrupp

If trey isn't "sober", it's probably just a beer or two, here and there. Probably not MJ or anything else though.

But I could be totally wrong, he might be dead sober. I have no idea.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

I think his musical ideas are proof enough he's dead sober.  His playing is the antithesis of psychedelia these days.  He no longer has the Jedi-tone, or is in touch with that dimension.  When Phish does venture into psychedelic territory, Trey always seems to be the one that is lost (even in that 12/30 Tweezer). 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mattstick

People need to realize that the Makisupa "keyword" is a song lyric, not some admission of drug use from Trey.

postjack

Quote from: sophist on January 11, 2011, 08:41:22 AM
I think his musical ideas are proof enough he's dead sober.  His playing is the antithesis of psychedelia these days.  He no longer has the Jedi-tone, or is in touch with that dimension.  When Phish does venture into psychedelic territory, Trey always seems to be the one that is lost (even in that 12/30 Tweezer).

Not fair and you know it. Continued psychedelic use is not necessary to tap into the creativity inspired by past psychedelic experiences. For example, I think its fair to state that things only got fucking weirder for Tom Waits after he got clean.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on January 11, 2011, 08:44:25 AM

People need to realize that the Makisupa "keyword" is a song lyric, not some admission of drug use from Trey.
What!?!?  :crazy:
And to think all these years, I thought he was trying to tell us something.  :wink:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: sophist on January 11, 2011, 08:41:22 AM

I've said this before, but John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis and others have proven that it is possible to be creative, jam, and improvise after one stops using drugs.
All you need to do is practice / rehearse
more recently-
George Harrison stopped using acid in 67, before Abbey road and before All Things Must Pass
Pete Townsend stopped before Quadrophenia.
Phil Lesh stopped a long time ago - not sure when, but I suspect before he married Jill
and Zappa never used, but his music is among the most far out there I've heard
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."