News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Hidden Heritage: Historical Archeology of the Overseas Chinese edited by Priscilla Wegars. Part of continuing research project on a "Chinese Laundry" (as described by fire insurance maps 1888-1902) that was situated on the land where the house I rent sits.  I just won a mock grant proposal for the project in my archeological methods class today.  Major presentation, glad its over.

gimmetela

nab

Sounds pretty nerdy huh?  I just don't read fiction anymore.  I used read quite a bit of fiction.  Hell I used to think that I was going to be a better writer than Kerouac, but after I grew up a bit, and some of that teenage angst wore off, so did my love of fiction.  Now I'm pretty much just a music and archeology nerd.  My love for archeology started when I was 6 or 7.  I wasn't a very social child, and spent a lot of time in the school library reading National Geographic.  Now, the rest is history.

gainesvillegreen

^^
Perhaps, but judging by your signature, fiction is what made you the person you are.  So, perhaps a return to the fold might be good for you  :wink:

nab

True that^^  My wife, owner of an english bs., never forgets to remind me of that either. 

On another note I'm also reading The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips And Advise For Dads To BE by Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash, so I believe that my life is going to be a lot different then I ever imagined any way.  :banana:

tet

all of your email... 

btw nab, that's a good offer on \/|4GR4 u got the other day...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

Quote from: converse29 on December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM
Island by Aldous Huxley. Check it out if you haven't already. :-D :-D

Did you steal that from my car?   :-D

sophist

tet,
what was the last email I received ?
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

converse29

Quote from: susep73 on December 12, 2006, 06:32:03 PM
Did you steal that from my car?   :-D
No. That's funny though. :-D Have you read it yet?

nab

Quote from: tet on December 12, 2006, 06:06:52 PM
all of your email... 

btw nab, that's a good offer on \/|4GR4 u got the other day...

Too good, aparently  :evil:

August

currently seeding 5-23-94 Portland, OR
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=502502

pretty good show with a nice Reba.

oops! i misread the question!

i am currently eating a delicious sandwich.

it's damn good, too!
a

wait a minute.....the question is what are you reading?
currently reading minds.
and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk for the 3rd time.

cactusfan

i haven't read pynchon's new book yet, but i've read all the others.
gravity's rainbow is indeed a kind of brilliant mad book.
expect to be reading it for a long time. it's slow going but if you make it through, you'll be very happy. looks like they've just published a new, illustrated version of it. crazy.

i've read bryson's 'a short history of nearly everything,' which is a great science primer entertainingly written for folks not up on their scientific knowledge.

currently i'm reading 'The Mind's I.' it's a collection from '80 edited by daniel dennett and douglas hofstadter (who wrote a truly amazing-- though rather challenging-- book called 'goedel escher bach') all about brains, artificial intelligence and what it means to be 'you.' or 'i'. it's less technical than it sounds, with many pieces by philisophers, fiction writers, and so on, all exploring these themes of what it means to have an identity and how artificial intelligence might be realized.

the book that really blew me away recently was Blood Meridian by cormac mccarthy. i'd read All The Pretty Horses a few years back and wasn't all that impressed. but this one is just stunning. it's dark and violent and apocalyptic and the prose is so gorgeous there were times when i had to stop reading just to sit and be amazed by the beauty of a particular sentence. THAT doesn't happen to me often.

grewich

Clive Cussler ~ Shock Wave

this is the sixth one ill have read...and damnit i like it
in your face