News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Ghosts of the Forest Spring 2019 Tour

Started by pcr3, December 11, 2018, 02:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: cactusfan on April 22, 2019, 11:46:54 AM

Someone was passing out stickers that said something like: Jon Fishman's Almost TAB

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

tet

I feel like cactusfan kind of nails it.  yeah, it is so cheesy, but the musicality and amazing supporting cast including the one and only Fish - plus Trey just ripping it up on some parts - made for a very unique and special show.  it's definitely a one-and-done band, IMO... but we'll see some of those songs soon, no doubt.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

gainesvillegreen

I have always enjoyed Ray's playing - he is kinda the Melvin Seals to Trey's Jerry, if that makes sense - and I think this context has had some of his best playing with Trey.

I agree with cactus and Pie, there are times when Trey writes the music to fit the lyrics which I really don't care for - the instrumentals are the best parts of GOTF for me - and there are times when it seems the lyrics are placed over the music as an afterthought. I like those latter instances, and I hope those always continue.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: cactusfan on April 22, 2019, 12:05:12 AM
Many excellent musical passages in there, along with some pretty insufferable Trey lyrics. I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes it sounds like he's writing these things by assembling life affirmations he found on greeting cards. Though the fact that he's so sincere and adorable helps to make up for that.

Nailed it.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

Many excellent musical passages in there, along with some pretty insufferable Trey lyrics. I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes it sounds like he's writing these things by assembling life affirmations he found on greeting cards. Though the fact that he's so sincere and adorable helps to make up for that.

LOL, so true.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 22, 2019, 09:27:21 PM

LOL, so true.

Yep
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 23, 2019, 03:17:45 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 22, 2019, 09:27:21 PM

LOL, so true.

Yep

I do hope some enterprising soul posts a recording without the vocals. Those lyrics are terrible.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

Ghosts of the Forest - Beneath a Sea of Stars is up on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc. - Recorded at the final GotF show at the Greek in Berkeley and remastered, etc. - sounds fucking fantastic!

https://livemusicblog.com/news/ghosts-of-the-forest-beneath-a-sea-of-stars-live-lp/

emay

PIE-GUY

Quote from: emay on July 23, 2019, 11:27:44 AM
dang didnt know they released that!

Looks like it was released on Friday... to zero fanfare.

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 23, 2019, 12:06:59 PM
Quote from: emay on July 23, 2019, 11:27:44 AM
dang didnt know they released that!

Looks like it was released on Friday... to zero fanfare.

No note as to whether or not they upgraded the show on LivePhish. I just rocked that show the other day (again) after the movie. It's terrific.

mehead

I would like to see them add Wider to the rotation
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Bobafett

Quote from: mehead on July 23, 2019, 01:04:21 PM
I thought they did
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mehead

Quote from: Bobafett on July 23, 2019, 01:04:47 PM
I thought they did

I stand corrected as they played it at Mohegan
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

susep

Quote from: mehead on July 23, 2019, 01:17:23 PM
Quote from: Bobafett on July 23, 2019, 01:04:47 PM
I thought they did

I stand corrected as they played it at Mohegan

Would love to hear There's a Path Above.