News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunrisevt

Well, at least the dems have a fighting chance at that seat...
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

VDB

Dutifully, FN is now attempting to gin up a controversy over Bill Maher having donated $1MM to a pro-Obama Super PAC. Basically trying to equate jokes Maher may have made about Palin with this Limbaugh brouhaha, and saying the money should be rejected.

(The article doesn't say what Maher said... I believe he called Palin a cunt? Anyway, I think that's not exactly the same kind of statement as Limbaugh suggesting someone who would like insurance to cover birth control must be a prostitute or a slut. But that's a digression.)

I think the salient points here are 1) conservatives are trying to call attention to Maher to draw some of the heat away from their own Dear Leader, in a classic "yeah, well you're no better" argument; and 2) once again conservatives seem to be trying to have it every which way with regards to these Super PACs. First, they cheered the Citizens United decision as a victory for freedom lovers everywhere. Then they criticized Obama for deciding "well, if this is how it's gonna be, I don't want to be stuck at a disadvantage". Now they're also saying that an independent Super PAC should reject a citizen's donation, and not only that but Obama himself should compel them to do so.

I thought the whole point of Citizens United and Super PACs was that this is America, where you are free to do whatever with your money as you damn well please, and support whomever you want with it to whatever extent. And no one -- least of all government -- should be able to say otherwise. Now they want the president to tell a Super PAC what to do with its donations? What's going on here?
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 09, 2012, 10:45:50 AM
2) once again conservatives seem to be trying to have it every which way with regards to these Super PACs.

Watch Coble wriggle as Democrats donate to his opponents Super PAC:  http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/06/1908417/coble-attacks-holdings-super-pac.html

Hilarious...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

sls.stormyrider

(The article doesn't say what Maher said... I believe he called Palin a cunt? Anyway, I think that's not exactly the same kind of statement as Limbaugh suggesting someone who would like insurance to cover birth control must be a prostitute or a slut. But that's a digression.)

I would argue that Maher's comments are in a similar league. the only difference is that Palin herself was a candidate and Fluke was a private citizen, but that's splitting hairs. I didn't hear Maher's comment but I would say that most women would find them equally reprehensible.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on March 09, 2012, 05:33:13 PM

I would argue that Maher's comments are in a similar league. the only difference is that Palin herself was a candidate and Fluke was a private citizen, but that's splitting hairs. I didn't hear Maher's comment but I would say that most women would find them equally reprehensible.

Well, the difference as I see it is that calling someone a cunt is a nasty, mean name like calling someone a donkey-raping shit-eater or a dickless fuckface or something. Limbaugh, on the other hand, looked at someone's (inferred and alleged) behavior and her stance on a public policy issue, and made a judgement about that person that she must be acting like a prostitute or a wildly promiscuous person. Both inappropriate and offensive, sure, but I see differences there.

Now, one could also suggest that public figures on the order of Palin, especially politicians who are by their nature controversial, should expect to be subject to far harsher critiques than some private citizen giving testimony to Congress on an issue, but then I don't usually like to excuse improper treatment of people just because they might be famous.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 09, 2012, 05:46:30 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 09, 2012, 05:33:13 PM

Well, the difference as I see it is that calling someone a cunt is a nasty, mean name like calling someone a donkey-raping shit-eater or a dickless fuckface or something. Limbaugh, on the other hand, looked at someone's (inferred and alleged) behavior and her stance on a public policy issue, and made a judgement about that person that she must be acting like a prostitute or a wildly promiscuous person. Both inappropriate and offensive, sure, but I see differences there.

Now, one could also suggest that public figures on the order of Palin, especially politicians who are by their nature controversial, should expect to be subject to far harsher critiques than some private citizen giving testimony to Congress on an issue, but then I don't usually like to excuse improper treatment of people just because they might be famous.

I said slut about a girl in my class once when I was in sixth grade ( :roll: i know). I received a stern talking to from my mom. I said the word "cunt" because I saw it spraypainted somewhere and got a full scale verbal/physical beatdown.

To call a woman either name in public is inexcusable, but to use to word cunt is far more egregious, imo.

Palin should definitely be subjected to harsh criticism (because she's a dumb cunt), but to use the word "cunt" publicly is just plain unprofessional.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: phil on March 09, 2012, 06:12:30 PM
I said slut about a girl in my class once when I was in sixth grade ( :roll: i know). I received a stern talking to from my mom. I said the word "cunt" because I saw it spraypainted somewhere and got a full scale verbal/physical beatdown.

To call a woman either name in public is inexcusable, but to use to word cunt is far more egregious, imo.

Palin should definitely be subjected to harsh criticism (because she's a dumb cunt), but to use the word "cunt" publicly is just plain unprofessional.

LOL - Agreed, she should be, she is, but you're right.
Instead she should have been called something less objectionable, like clit - head or vagina-brains.
:wink:

in the rare time I've been around women and the word "cunt" was spoken, the universal response is "oooh, I HATE that word"
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on March 09, 2012, 06:45:47 PM

Instead she should have been called something less objectionable, like clit - head or vagina-brains.

in the rare time I've been around women and the word "cunt" was spoken, the universal response is "oooh, I HATE that word"

What, do you hang around a bunch of cunty women?   :evil:

VDB

Quote from: kellerb on March 09, 2012, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 09, 2012, 06:45:47 PM

What, do you hang around a bunch of cunty women?   :evil:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

This is quite a lame attempt at turning the attention away from Rush.  Also, this is nothing new.  They've been tirelessly beating the "Bill Maher is a sexist" drum for years and years now. 

Comparing the two situations makes little sense.  On the one hand, you have a comedian who specializes in political satire and is known for using strong opinions and foul language in his act.  On the other hand, you have what is arguably the most powerful and influential voice in conservative media. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

nab

The only real consistent argument vis-a-vis name calling is that it is offensive when you don't agree with the statement or target and funny when you do. 

mbw

Quote from: nab on March 09, 2012, 09:11:15 PM
The only real consistent argument vis-a-vis name calling is that it is offensive when you don't agree with the statement or target and funny when you do.

true.  palin is a cunt though.  a huge one.  giant.  giant cunt.

the thing about rush though is that he wasnt attacking this woman, per se, whom he knows nothing about, he was attacking women who use the pilll and feel it should be covered by their health insurance like any other prescription.

i have heard the man say a whole lot worse though.

rowjimmy

Maher is no sexist.

He will insult any fool in the public realm that (in his opinion) deserves it.

Palin is just a thin skinned little bitch.

nab

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 09, 2012, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: nab on March 09, 2012, 09:11:15 PM

true.  palin is a cunt though.  a huge one.  giant.  giant cunt.

the thing about rush though is that he wasnt attacking this woman, per se, whom he knows nothing about, he was attacking women who use the pilll and feel it should be covered by their health insurance like any other prescription.

i have heard the man say a whole lot worse though.

Thing is, as with all things politics, most personal attacks are in fact ideological attacks.  I'd venture to guess that your personal hate for Palin  as a human being would probably be limited if she didn't say so many things you disagree with.

:Devil's advocate, not a Palin supporter:   

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 09, 2012, 09:55:20 PM
Maher is no sexist.

He will insult any fool in the public realm that (in his opinion) deserves it.

Palin is just a thin skinned little bitch.

I kinda think she's more of a cunt