News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Your top five Steve Kimock Picks

Started by converse29, February 12, 2006, 09:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

converse29

Quote from: susep73 on February 15, 2006, 12:26:47 AM
I will say that I thought Kimock's style contrasted nicely with Trey's during the initial Phil run in April '99 esp. during Trey's funky drenched wha-wha rythym w/ Steve's very Jerry sounding slide work in Alligator. :-

I'll definitely be checking this show out susep.

CRAZYED

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 15, 2006, 03:16:10 AM
Also, he's not afraid to switch guitars mid-song if the next part requires a completely different sound.

Yeah, its kind of annoying sometimes, switching guitars after everysong, seems to drag out the show somtimes, and once maybe more than once i've seen him use 3 different guitars on Tongue & Groove........each segment he uses a different guitar......each one has its place I guess.

CRAZYED

Quote from: converse29 on February 15, 2006, 02:53:50 AM
Ed-interesting point-did you happen to read the article in "Guitar Player" featuring Kimock and his idea's on tuning-this is an article I've been wanting to check out but have yet to read. :-)

I think it was somewhere else, and it was atleast a year or two ago..........maybe more.  I havent followed that scene much in the past couple years.  Unfortantly I dont remember the source, sorry.

converse29

Quote from: CRAZYED on February 15, 2006, 05:28:47 AM
Quote from: converse29 on February 15, 2006, 02:53:50 AM
Ed-interesting point-did you happen to read the article in "Guitar Player" featuring Kimock and his idea's on tuning-this is an article I've been wanting to check out but have yet to read. :-)

I think it was somewhere else, and it was atleast a year or two ago..........maybe more.  I havent followed that scene much in the past couple years.  Unfortantly I dont remember the source, sorry.
Turns out the article on tuning and music theory featuring Kimock is avaliable for a read at Steve's website. (Guitar Player)

sophist

I read the arcticle in GP.  It's very good.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

converse29

I got a chance to check out the April 16 and 17 '99 Lesh shows. Very nice.

susep

Quote from: converse29 on February 16, 2006, 02:26:20 AM
I got a chance to check out the April 16 and 17 '99 Lesh shows. Very nice.

not bad, I guess these shows were the catalysts of Phil's return and subsequent tours.

converse29

not bad, I guess these shows were the catalysts of Phil's return and subsequent tours.
Yes, after his operation. I got a chance to check out quite a few of the Lesh shows from later that year. I'm still weeding through the Trucks/Haynes/Lesh collaborations to find the jewels.

susep

Yes, after his operation. I got a chance to check out quite a few of the Lesh shows from later that year. I'm still weeding through the Trucks/Haynes/Lesh collaborations to find the jewels.

nice :-D
laughing very hard...

converse29

laughing very hard...
Glad I could provide some entertainment-completely unintentional of course- :-P :roll: :wink: :-D :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

susep

Quote from: converse29 on February 16, 2006, 03:17:29 AM
laughing very hard...
Glad I could provide some entertainment-completely unintentional of course- :-P :roll: :wink: :-D :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

what really keeps me laughing is our f___ ups on the quoting boxes :-D

converse29

No kidding-you may have come across something brother-Ha ha

gainesvillegreen

Just thought I would chime in here.  I've been lucky to see him for more than 10 years starting with Zero, and have really listened to him incessantly since Phish split.  And more luck has come my way..one of my greatest friends in the universe recently became his brother-in-law so there's more shows in the future for sure.   

As for great shows, I would recommend checking out the entire December 2002 Japan run, or if you only have time or the inkling to listen to one show, check out 12/8/02.  They are all stage recordings.  Alphonso Johnson was in the band at that time, and I miss him very much from the line-up.

As for more recent shows, 10/26/05 Revolution Hall is a great all around show, as is the 1/20/06 Atlanta, GA show although the sound quality doesn't quite compare to what's been posted for late 2005.  See also 12/9/05 Boulder and 12/10/05 Denver.  I was able to see both of them, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  12/9 probably has the best all around setlist I've ever seen in person - even if it was abbreviated. 

As for most improved compositions with the new line-up, I would say High & Lonesome, Bad Hair, Ice Cream, and Bronx Experiment (even though it doesn't really grab me in the nethers) have all taken a great leap forward with Robert in the band.

Wow, didn't think I'd write that much when I started the post!  Thanks for generating this thread, it's great! 

converse29

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on February 17, 2006, 12:58:22 AM
Just thought I would chime in here.  I've been lucky to see him for more than 10 years starting with Zero, and have really listened to him incessantly since Phish split.  And more luck has come my way..one of my greatest friends in the universe recently became his brother-in-law so there's more shows in the future for sure.   

As for great shows, I would recommend checking out the entire December 2002 Japan run, or if you only have time or the inkling to listen to one show, check out 12/8/02.  They are all stage recordings.  Alphonso Johnson was in the band at that time, and I miss him very much from the line-up.

As for more recent shows, 10/26/05 Revolution Hall is a great all around show, as is the 1/20/06 Atlanta, GA show although the sound quality doesn't quite compare to what's been posted for late 2005.  See also 12/9/05 Boulder and 12/10/05 Denver.  I was able to see both of them, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  12/9 probably has the best all around setlist I've ever seen in person - even if it was abbreviated. 

As for most improved compositions with the new line-up, I would say High & Lonesome, Bad Hair, Ice Cream, and Bronx Experiment (even though it doesn't really grab me in the nethers) have all taken a great leap forward with Robert in the band.

Wow, didn't think I'd write that much when I started the post!  Thanks for generating this thread, it's great! 
Your welcome gvg-the fall tour of 2005 was a good one for Kimock-Have you listened to High And Lonesome from 10-01-05? The last four minutes or so are mind expanding.

converse29

Hey Gainesville-Do you like MMW-check out that thread if you want. :-D