News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MP3 Player help, if possible...

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, December 23, 2007, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i get asked a lot of questions about electronics because I'm 25 and i use a computer very efficiently compared to anyone else in my family and I've installed CD players, relatives home entertainment stuffs, and I'm a junkie with music on the computer...

so they always call me when they have a problem.
my aunt bought my 2 younger cousins this mp3 player for the holidays...

http://www.beachaudio.com/Coby/Mpc883-p-103219.html

they're 5 & 10, she told them if they learn how to take care of this and use it well, they could have a nano for their birthdays next year... don't blame her...

anyhow... i haven't gotten to play with this yet, i will tomorrow..
her problem tho, is getting music onto the drive.
it tells her that the music is there... then it's not when she tries to listen to it...
i may get there and figure it out... but i thought to seek out advice of the more electronically inclined...

anything will help me out, tomorrow, to figure this out... programs or anything...

thanks in advance for you help, guys and gals :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Guyute

I would check the manual, a lot of the cheaper players require the music to be at a certain bit rate to play, that could be off.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

birdman

How about the volume... :-P
I know its not much help, but start with the easiest solution first.
I went through this with my mom when she bought her first ipod.
Paug FTMFW!

August

It's most likely the file format.
iTunes uses .m4a instead of .mp3 files.
If they are using iTunes to rip CD's or buy songs from, they are gonna be in .m4a format.

I have an mp3 player thaat does the same thing.
If you open up the mp3 drive on your computer, you'll see the files there (it really is just a storage device) but it won't be able to play them.
The majority of mp3 players (aside from the iPod) don't play .m4a's.
a

nab

Does the player need a certain program to sync the music to it, like WMP (usually)?  Does it have a setting that allows you to drop and drag files directly into the player?

Aug- You must mean .m4a files won't play on most mp3 players.

August

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: August on December 24, 2007, 09:41:16 AM
It's most likely the file format.
iTunes uses .m4a instead of .mp3 files.
If they are using iTunes to rip CD's or buy songs from, they are gonna be in .m4a format.

I have an mp3 player thaat does the same thing.
If you open up the mp3 drive on your computer, you'll see the files there (it really is just a storage device) but it won't be able to play them.
The majority of mp3 players (aside from the iPod) don't play .m4a's.
a

silly question, maybe....

but can you take mp4's back to mp3's?
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

nab

.mp4 or .m4a?

I believe you could go m??->wav->mp3, but it is a further lossy step.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

after playing around with it, it was the type of file and the bit rate she downloaded...
so i converted them and

VOILA!

thanks for the suggestions, everyone :)
i learned a lot teaching my aunt this stuffs....

mattstick

I think it's awsome that kids that young want iPods.   :-D