News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

what is the easiest way...

Started by easts_vault, July 03, 2008, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easts_vault

to convert all my shns to flac files?
Without music we are just swimming in an ocean with no hooks.

tet

if you are on a Windows PC, you can use a program called dbpoweramp to do this.  it allows for direct conversion between all various kinds of audio files.

if on a Mac, you could make the SHNs into WAV or AIFF files using xACT, then re-encode them to whatever format you want.

however, i think i should note that this should be done strictly for personal reasons, not for purposes of re-sharing.  while i and many others would prefer everything being in a superior file format such as FLAC, there are others who do not feel that it is a good use of resources.  to each his own.  there have been lengthy, often nasty debates over this, so if you want more insight as to that, do a search on these forums. 

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

easts_vault

Quote from: tet on July 03, 2008, 05:35:07 PM
if you are on a Windows PC, you can use a program called dbpoweramp to do this.  it allows for direct conversion between all various kinds of audio files.

if on a Mac, you could make the SHNs into WAV or AIFF files using xACT, then re-encode them to whatever format you want.

however, i think i should note that this should be done strictly for personal reasons, not for purposes of re-sharing.  while i and many others would prefer everything being in a superior file format such as FLAC, there are others who do not feel that it is a good use of resources.  to each his own.  there have been lengthy, often nasty debates over this, so if you want more insight as to that, do a search on these forums. 

yup. It will only be for my own "vault". Now at work I use a mac(kick ass dual quad core) and use xact, which today I drug in a shn file and encoded it directly to flac, no aiff middle man involved. Decoded the new flac to aiff and it sounded/worked fine, have you or anyone else tried this? At home I am on a PC and I use dbpoweramp, I like the batch feature. I just didn't now if decoding to wav/aiff then back to flac if there was any file degredation.
Without music we are just swimming in an ocean with no hooks.

tet

hmm, i've never tried that on xAct.  gonna have to give that a shot and see if there's any sound loss...  i know the developer too, i can ask him if it's supposed to work like that.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Foobar will convert too (for pc people.)

jephrey

I've used xACT for tons of encoding/decoding.  I stopped going to aiff but I think it was something in iTunes that gave me something weird.  If I need to edit, I go to WAV.  I don't imagine and haven't seen issue going straight from shn to flac or to any other lossless format any number of times since those issues that cropped up a couple years ago...  I've checked it out for a couple encode-decode cycles and everything is the same as the original.  Nothing is lost on any lossless conversion as far as I have been able to tell.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

DoW

Quote from: tet on July 03, 2008, 05:35:07 PM

thank you for posting that even if your view is differing.  I won't get into that debate.

I don't do the whole conversion and I won't get into that, but I thought I would ask the question that i don't know the answer to.

is the proper conversion shn>wav>flac as opposed to shn>flac?
I know they are all lossless but I do think the checksums may differ on those two methods.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mattstick

It's easy enough to test.

Take a WAV file, create an MD5 of it.

Convert said WAV file to FLAC, then convert that FLAC to SHN, decode that SHN to WAV and test it's MD5.

rowjimmy

They will be the same.

SHN > FLAC is secretly SHN > WAV > FLAC.