News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

Watched Edge of Tomorrow last night.  I thought it was a cool story, something different..

I'm a sucker for sci-fi/alien flicks though
If this is love, I'm never going home..

blatboom

thought Mud was really good. beautifully shot

VDB

X-Men: First Class

Was not digging it much at first but it improved as it went on. Hard to argue with JLaw in the Mystique getup.
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

^ really loved it. the future Sentinals were no fucking joke

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

VDB

Quote from: blatboom on July 11, 2014, 10:15:09 AM

I believe that's the latest one (Days of Future Past).
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 11, 2014, 10:34:45 AM
Quote from: blatboom on July 11, 2014, 10:15:09 AM

I believe that's the latest one (Days of Future Past).

derp

PIE-GUY

Boyhood

Unemployed Dave went to an afternoon movie... what's it to ya!?!?!

I feel this is Linklater's finest film to date by a mile. It's impressive. It made me very nostalgic for my boyhood. A moving and touching story of a kid growing up in Texas told brilliantly by an insanely great filmmaker with near perfect casting.

See this film. Seriously. See this film.   
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

natronzero

Quote from: PG on July 22, 2014, 07:26:04 PM
Boyhood

I feel this is Linklater's finest film to date by a mile. It's impressive. It made me very nostalgic for my boyhood. A moving and touching story of a kid growing up in Texas told brilliantly by an insanely great filmmaker with near perfect casting.

Wife and I just got back from this ourselves.
Man. Aside from being an astonishing cinematic achievement technically and conceptually, it's touching and clever and funny, and pretty much perfectly written and acted.
I also think no one's ever captured living in/growing up in Texas as authentically as Linklater.
I was amazed. Highly recommended.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

PIE-GUY

Also, did you feel right at home every time they ate and bowled at Dart Bowl?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

natronzero

Yes! Absolutely.
I've gotta say too, a week away from moving away and feeling relatively disenchanted with my hometown for the last year or two, the whole Austin sequence about 3/4 through the movie made me feel a little sentimental. Big Bend at the end too...
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

cactusfan

Quote from: natronzero on July 22, 2014, 11:08:10 PM
Quote from: PG on July 22, 2014, 07:26:04 PM
Boyhood

Wife and I just got back from this ourselves.
Man. Aside from being an astonishing cinematic achievement technically and conceptually, it's touching and clever and funny, and pretty much perfectly written and acted.
I also think no one's ever captured living in/growing up in Texas as authentically as Linklater.
I was amazed. Highly recommended.

i didn't even grow up in Texas, and still thought this was pretty amazing.
definitely a movie to see. never been anything quite like it.
i wrote up a piece on it here:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2014/07/boyhood-in-which-time-is-the-star/

phil

Finally got around to seeing Django this weekend...kinda kicking myself for not checking it out sooner, that movie had me glued to the TV
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Mr. Natural

BOYZ N THE HOOD (1991)

I saw this once when it came out - I was the same age as most of the characters, late teens - and dug it, but hadn't seen it since. I wasn't sure if it would age well. Since it's a move about, well, boyz, and made by a man, I figured the female characters would be few, stereotypical, and one-dimensional with little to no depth.
After rewatching it, I was pleasantly surprised. There were several lady characters, many (though certainly not all) with their own lives outside of the boyz. Dough Boy's misogyny gets called out 3 times throughout the film. I remembered Lawrence Fishburne's talk about gentrification and how stark that one line hit me when I first saw it - "'Cuz they want us to kill ourselves."
I also really liked how through the first half, it constantly came back to safe sex - how the pill isn't enough and you really gotta put that jimmy-hat to use. 
Plus, the code-switching [to me, as a white viewer, at least] is interesting.
And that last scene in DoughBoy & Ricky's house freaked me out. I was nervously looking around my living room, even though everybody else in the house was asleep in bed.

Now I want to watch FRESH again, too. That one's great.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Buffalo Budd

^^^Loved that movie, can't believe that was 23 years ago.
Old man'd.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.