News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W7: 07-29-98 Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO

Started by mbw, October 19, 2009, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

an epic gin and a 15 minute buried alive?
lets do this.

QuotePhish
July 29, 1998
Riverport Amphitheatre
Maryland Heights, MO

source:
Schoeps cmc6/mk41 > Grace Design Lunatec V2 > Apogee AD-1000 > Tascam DA-P1 (@ 48 kHz)

transfer:
Tascam DA-20mkII > Marantz PMD-661 > SDHC card > usb 2.0 > pc > r8brain v1.9 (resample to 44.1 kHz) > CD Wave v1.98 (track splits) > Samplitude SE v9.1.1 (fades) > FLAC v1.2.1 (Level 8)

transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded May 10, 2009

notes:
FLAC tags added with metaflac v1.2.1
The original 48 kHz files from the DAT transfer have been archived and are available upon request.

Disc 1 - [63:36]
Set I
01 - [23:48] - Bathtub Gin
02 - [05:32] - Dog Gone Dog
03 - [09:44] - Foam
04 - [03:04] - Fikus
05 - [05:44] - Farmhouse
06 - [05:47] - Vultures
07 - [04:20] - Glide
08 - [05:36] - Birds of a Feather

Disc 2 - [69:34]
Set II
01 - [14:46] - Buried Alive >
02 - [03:31] - If You Need a Fool *
03 - [07:58] - AC/DC Bag
04 - [13:50] - The Lizards
05 - [10:00] - Tube >
06 - [03:41] - Kung >
07 - [13:25] - Run Like an Antelope
08 - [02:23] - encore break

Disc 3 - [14:41]
Set II continued
01 - [05:50] - Waste
02 - [04:39] - Golgi Apparatus
03 - [02:54] - Bittersweet Motel
04 - [01:17] - outro

* debut

lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525027

lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/und7zg

reviews

Khalpin
August
Pie-Guy
RJ
Pnchundi
Sophist
Mirthbeatenworker
Blatboom
AntelopeFreeway

Alumni

Cause I got a degree

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Nice - I have never spent much time with summer 98 shows. looking forward to diving in.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

1998-07-29

Set 1
Gin - Page attacks the intro with zeal. good composed part. proper bouncy groove. Mike pushes the bottom end nicely. Trey's solo begins by splitting off theme but not outward @ 5:15ish; rolling along over the band who maintains the groove. Trey is picking up his tempo ~7min but the groove is steady. everybody is picking it up, Trey is soaring by ~10:30. Lovely. Great energy. Peaks and settles into a talking heads-ish groove ~13min. Actually sorta PYITE-esque @14:30. This sorta modulates into a couple of other funk-rock jams each hitting a peak before morphing into another. Theme drifts back from another key @ 22:40 and I think Trey surprises the rest of the band more than the audience with it. Arena RAWK finish.

Dog Log - Kick down for the old schoolers (and Paul). Nice version. Page's solo earl y was great.

Foam - another strong showcase for Page. All are playing well on this. Trey tears it up.

Fikus - All right, kids, chill out.

Farmhouse - No really. Chill. The Fuck. Out.

Vultures - This was the debut of the new Vultures, was it not. It's cool. Not a reason to go on tour, but cool. Trey actually plays some pretty hot shit on this. Like really hot. Like, "you missed out if you had been in the pooper since Fikus" hot.

Glide - Now that they're warmed up...

BOAF - Get yer boogie on. Rawk show version right here.

Set the Second:

Buried Alive - I wish I hadn't cheated and looked at the setlist. Spacey Intro akin to a Bowie but it's Buried Alive! very cool. wtf? This is jammed out! Awesome.

If You Need A Fool - debut. I like bluegrass and I could dance to this...

Bag - Standard version.

Lizards - Lovely version.

Tube - This is one for the kiddies. Straight, pocket jamming. Page is doing some cool stuff in the mix here... Blues for (less than) a minute @ 8:45.

Kung - spacey again... back into Buried Alive? j/k. Is it possible for Kung to be "standard"?

Antelope - Playful intro after that Kung- nothing too nutty. Been you to have any rawk, man?

Encore:

Waste - yep.

Golgi - didn't suck at all.

Bittersweet Motel - time to go fire up the hibachi...

This show pretty much doesn't get any higher than the opener. Which means, when you look at the lack of superlatives in my review of the opener, that I'm not super psyched by this show. The Gin is cool but it gets up, stays up and doesn't really do anything but wank along after a while. Rather than "too many notes" I'd call it not enough notes. If you're gonna stretch for 22 minutes, do something with it (see last week's Tweezer.) Not that I totally hate it; I'd just prefer the Ventura Gin (if I were sticking to 98.) Anyway, After that, and with the exception of the very awesome Buried Alive, we have a well played but not extraordinary show. The encore... Triple encore, yes, but it almost feels tacked on because they had time to fill.

B
B-
C
Yeah.. the more I think about it this morning, the worse it gets.

Alumni

Interesting...I've never thought of the Ventura Gin as particularly exploratory. Trey has some sweet soloing, but it's really short. Like a couple minutes. Outside of that, I find it more repetitive than the St. Louis Gin.

I'd say that I'm mostly in agreement with your take. Except that for me, this Gin doesn't just get up there. It soars. The first segment of the jam is really, really nice. Probably the reason it sailed through that thing I did a few years ago when I OD-ed on Gins. But it didn't win. And it didn't win for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. At the time I was more interested in hearing different, more exploratory takes on Gins (wouldn't anyone who listened to that many in such a short amount of time?). If I remember right, in my silly mock-play-by-play, the St. Louis Gin was doing pretty well until late in the 3rd quarter, when Trey took a vicious hit and had to fall back into a "controlled PYITE offense." It was slick, and I enjoyed it for a bit, but it kind of overstayed its welcome. At least for me.

Trey *does* seem to force the ending. As if to say, "Okay, I've had enough of this, but I'm not sure where to take it from this point, so let's shut it down right . . . HERE."

Instead of straining a sports metaphor past all reason, this time I'll strain a whiskey-snob analogy past all reason. This Gin is Macallan 18-yr. Silky smooth, without a hint of bitterness. I enjoy it, and can recognize its greatness. It lost because it ran into a Lagavulin from Lexington. And my tastes tend toward the latter. Others can (and do) disagree.
Quote2. Macallan (18 year) Macallan is aged in sherry casks, which gives it a slightly sweet taste and removes any hint of bite. There's not even the barest bit of harshness here, which makes it perfect for an after dinner nightcap (served neat, of course); but it can be a bit cloying when taken more than a single glass at a time. There are better values out there, but if money is not object, why not? It's a great Scotch.
3. Lagavulin Scotch (16 year) - A glass of Lagavulin is like a trip to the bottom of a peat bog. Not a drink for wimps, the smoke and peat are strong and omnipresent. The non-hardcore will want to take it with a drop or two of water to dilute the strength of flavor, but a glass taken neat will make the hair on your chest grow an inch or two.

It's funny that (IMO) the Gin is front-loaded, because the same could be said (and was, by RJ) about the first set -- or even the entire show. It doesn't get any better than the first 15 minutes. The Dog Gone Dog is much more interesting to listen to than the twin Dog Logs of 12.11.95. Nice bust-out. Foam, too, was nice. But at that point, I'm almost ready for them to take a bow and leave the stage. Fikus...okay. I don't mind Fikus. I *do* mind Farmhouse, though.  :-( A well-played Farmhouse is still a Farmhouse. :( Vultures is nice enough. Glide is cool. I do like the no-nonsense, no-frills, just rock Birds at the end, but it seems like an exclamation point at the end of a sentence that's missing a few words.

I'll go with a B+/A- on the first set grade curve, because I do think the first 40 minutes of this set exceed normal expectations. And I do like the Gin.

Set II later.

Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

I guess I just like the way that Ventura soars over the way that Riverport tries to...
I's a purely subjective scale, of course, but this one just tries so hard and doesn't get me off at all.

Hicks

It's funny, this Gin has always been one of my favorites of all time, if not the favorite of all time.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Alumni

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 19, 2009, 01:43:27 PM
I's a purely subjective scale, of course,

Yup. And that's not a problem. AFAIK, it's the point of this whole thing, right?  :beers:

Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on October 19, 2009, 01:45:58 PM
It's funny, this Gin has always been one of my favorites of all time, if not the favorite of all time.

Well, it does save the show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I agree a hundred and ten percent.  This one makes the Went Gin look like preschool... faux shaux.

WhatstheUse?

Same here.  The Murat Gin may top it imo, but they are obviously two completely different monsters, can't even really be compared

The funk towards the end of this gin is, well, it's the shit.
Bring in the dude!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 19, 2009, 03:50:28 PM

Same here.  The Murat Gin may top it imo, but they are obviously two completely different monsters, can't even really be compared

The funk towards the end is a nice cool off, but it's not really what I think of as "the shit".  "The shit" is the transcendental mind altering sweetness shot out of a auditory cannon by the band that preeceeds this funk... but yeah, this gin rocks it!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 19, 2009, 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 19, 2009, 03:50:28 PM

The funk towards the end is a nice cool off, but it's not really what I think of as "the shit".  "The shit" is the transcendental mind altering sweetness shot out of a auditory cannon by the band that preeceeds this funk... but yeah, this gin rocks it!

actually, I prefer the ending funk over the "mind altering sweetness shot out of a auditory cannon by the band that preeceeds this funk"

not that the first part is bad at all, it just has been done before, it was a sweet build up climaxing solo, a really sweet one.  I would def consider it "the shit"

but the ending funk is just this bubbling, oozing wall of thick FUNK that cannot help but make you dance.  Mike is absolutely on his game.

Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

My #1 Gin.
The fact that they opened up with it makes it a tad sweeter, too.