News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W01: 07-13-1999 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA

Started by G. Augusto, August 23, 2010, 07:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Boo ya!
Kicking off ROUND TEN with one of my favorites from Summer '99!

QuotePhish
July 13, 1999
Great Woods
Mansfield, MA

source:
Schoeps cmc6/mk41 > Lunatec V2 > Apogee AD1000 > Sony D100 (@ 48 kHz)
recorded from the taper's sections, front row, center

transfer:
Sony PCM-R500 > M-Audio MicroTrack > CF Card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (fades, resample to 44.1kHz) > CD Wave v1.94.7 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8)

recorded by Dave Flashner
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded February 12, 2006

The original 48kHz files from the DAT transfer have been archived, and are available upon request

Disc 1 - [74:15]
Set I
01 - [06:28] - NICU
02 - [06:30] - The Curtain
03 - [14:35] - Halley's Comet ->
04 - [07:53] - Roses Are Free ->
05 - [04:45] - NO2 *
06 - [03:21] - Lawn Boy
07 - [15:24] - Reba ** ->
08 - [07:24] - Carini Had a Lumpy Head >
09 - [07:54] - Funky Bitch

Disc 2 - [79:25]
Set II
01 - [21:42] - Wolfman's Brother ->
02 - [08:11] - Piper
03 - [10:12] - Bug >
04 - [06:31] - Mountains in the Mist
05 - [11:44] - Run Like an Antelope #
06 - [08:40] - Possum ##
07 - [03:01] - encore break
08 - [08:38] - Tuesday's Gone ##^
09 - [00:46] - outro

* includes instrumental jam after the dentist bit as appears on "The White Tape"
** unfinished
# "Meatstick" teases; Trey greets friends "Looks Too Much Like Dave" (Abrahams) and "Lu"(ann) in the audience
## With Scott Murawski of Max Creek on guitar
^ Lynyrd Skynyrd cover; first time played

Lossless
Lossy

Enjoy!
a

Submitted Reviews:

01- August
02 - RJ
03- KHalpin
04- UncleEb
05- Jezmund
06- MbW
07- Bvaz
08- Pnchundi
09- Sophist
10 - Poster Nutbag

rowjimmy

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

blatboom

G. Augusto

mattstick

This show was the same day as the MLB All-Star game @ Fenway Park.  Apparently Brad Sands went to the game instead of the show, which inspired some of his favorite songs to be played.

pnchundi

sweet! I saw this one, actually the run from Charlotte through GWoods was strong.  Looking forward to hearing this again

justjezmund

i remember talking to you about a certain 99 show that i was worried you would pick,  im glad you steered clear of my choice. 

This show is dope though, cant wait to hear it again.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Poster Nutbag

I was at this show...  :-D

Quote from: axilla1 on July 21, 2008, 12:58:59 AM
one of my most memorable Phish moments would have to be at Greatwoods 7/13/'99...when a friend of mine kicked me down about 3 hits of gel tabs... not realizing it was 3 hits i just ate them down...by the time the show started i was pretty much peaking and seeing the ugly clown faces!! I was ready to freak out and my friends are telling me to eat up my molly and i was thinking more drugs, i just don't know about this!!! but gave in and down the molly...Still on the verge of losing it the music started, i was slitley subdewed by the beginnings sounds of Phish and barley dealing with the issue when the flip started to take effect...then to sound of my ears and flow of the vibrations of carini my prayers were answered...what a beautiful sight and a great show it was!!! :banana: :-o :banana:
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

birdman

My daughters 3rd show. We left after the first set(or should I say after the deuche bag drilled a lit cigarette into my two year olds head).
I remember the first set being fun.
Not sure I've ever relistened to this after that year.
Paug FTMFW!

rowjimmy

Listened once today
Enjoyed it and took some notes
Review tomorrow

sophist

QuoteSet I

NICU
The Curtain
Halley's Comet ->
Roses Are Free ->
NO2 *
Lawn Boy
Reba ** ->
Carini Had a Lumpy Head >
Funky Bitch
NICU kicks things off.  I dig it, it's a very chill way to start a show and it works here.  Then they get right after it, and don't fuck around this first set.  I like the Curtain a lot in this second slot.  Well played version.  Good stuff.  Halley's -> Roses -> NO2.  Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.  The Halley's drops the deep 99 funk.  Some good shit right here.  I love that they start the segue into Roses for about a minute and smoothly transition into it.  Roses is solid as well.  The segue into NO2 is money as well.  Very interesting version with the guitar going behind it.  I love it, they get trippy as shit in the first set.  Lawn Boy is well placed here, and then we get to Reba.  This is an interesting version of Reba.  Very melodic version.  However it really works here.  Trey is just on point with this jam.  Page rages the fuck out of piano in this version.  Nice and interesting little segue into Carini.  Again, the boys getting dark and psychedelic in the first set, I love it.  Funky Bitch closes out set I.  Perfect.  Hot fucking first set.  This is an easy A to me.  It has dynamics, tight playing, great improvisation, and tons of energy. 

QuoteSet II

Wolfman's Brother ->
Piper
Bug >
Mountains in the Mist
Run Like an Antelope #
Possum ##

encore
Tuesday's Gone ##^
That's how you start a second set.  Top 5 Wolfman's?  I think so.  About 11 minutes in they hit a groove that made me stop working yesterday and completely zone into the music.  Killer segue into a brief, but raging Piper.  Bug follows.  Perfect placement here.  They've gotten out there, and then raged.  It's time to reflect.  I'm not the biggest Mountains fan, but it works here as well.  Antelope is huge.  HUGE Tension runs by Trey during this.  Serious shreddage.  Possum is standard to me, but it works as the set closer.  Awesome choice for an Encore.  Second set plus encore is an A as well.  The second set is def better than the first set.  Love it.  Great pick Joey! 

I'll also say that this is what I am missing now.  I know the show club shouldn't be a platform to bring in the topic of 3.0, but it just hit me hard while listening to the second set of this show.  I haven't been listening to Phish at all except for the one time I listened to all of the leg II summer shows.  And this, it's what made me fall in love with this band.  It has what made them so unique to me.  Not every song has to be jammed, but when the improvisation happens, it happens for a reason, the experimentation has a purpose.  I won't hijack the thread with anymore 3.0 talk, I just wanted to touch on that.   

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

1:
Love NICU
Odd opener; it simmers
Typical awesome

Curtain is a sign
The band is here for business
They won't fuck around

Boom! Halley's Comet
Love the theme in the eighth min
Nice move to Roses

The florist slows down
to a big finish which fades
into N O2

wah hello wah drugs!
wah a pair of wah headphones
beautiful outro

I'm so overwhelmed
when Page plays a cool solo
during a Lawn Boy

Ah, a good Reba.
Forgive me paraphrasing
Jerry Garcia:

"Ideally a song
can be delicate enough
to reach pure silence."

This version goes there.
Then Carini gets twisted.
Trey shreds the fuck out.

After all that rawk
Funky Bitch seems less intense
A good set closer.

2:
Wolfman's Bro gets OUT
Nice space jamming drifts into
Piper's slow intro

Standard-for-the-day
rocked-out Piper leads to Bug.
It doesn't matter.

Good Bug but, Mountains?
11 min Antelope
delivers the shrage.

But wait, wtf?
Only eleven minutes?
totally 3.0'd

Small furry creature
closes the show with the rawk
Possum brings the heat

E:
I am a sucker
for Skynyrd. This is solid;
with a guest, no less.

mbw

G. Augusto

Nice review, RJ... :lol:

NICU - Short outro jam. Nice slot for a Summer show.

Curtain - Only appearance of the Summer and 1 of only 3 for the year. Really well played despite its disappearance since Fall '98.

Halley's - Only version of the Summer, as well. I *LUV* how they ease right into the jam and skip the modulation/solo section. Trey throws out some big loops and the works some of that Summer '99 whammy action. Then they turn it into a sweet major key jam all buttery-like. Mike then doubles up (much like the Ghost from 07-15-1999) and then a brief return to the whammy. Sounds like they are going into Ghost for DEF, but they work their way into >>> (A+ version, BTW)

Roses - Again, only Roses of the Tour. Short outro jam which sounded like it could have gone into Jesus, but Trey throws out some major loopage which segues perfectly into >>>

N02 - WHOA! Back when bustouts were still cool. Not since 07-16-1994 (which I caught  :wink: and not again until Miami 'o9). This one is the only live version to include the sweet outro section that is on the White Tape and DWD single. Total kick.

Lawn - Trend? Only version of the Summer with the rare Page solo.

Reba - 1 of only 6 from '99. Very well played composed sections. Ultra sweet modulation ~8:30 and an even sweeter return to the jam theme. Such a Summer "hetty" vibe to this jam. Just so effortless. Absolutely *LUV* the muted notes with the tone knob rolled all the way back toward the end of the jam. This one takes you out and slaps you wide awake with >>>

Carini - Love Fish's countdown with the kick pedal! Slammin' right in! Straight ragin' version that wastes no time getting into >>>

Bitch - Great as a closer. A+ set all around. They could play an identical set like this these days, but they couldn't, Ya heard?!

Wolf - The first half of this jam is all about the rhythm section, mainly, Fish. Mike and Fish are so locked in as Trey and Page are patient. Really, this 20+ minute jam is all about patience. Really, really danceable throughout and dissolves out with some delicate melty/funk. Trey introduces the key that Piper is in, waits and then they segue into Piper nicely. Those were the days!

Piper - Another patient version. Trey sits back the entire version and this one is strictly led by Page. Sweetness.

Bug - Still brand new and serves as a breather. Good placement.

Mist - I am a Mist fan, but two brand new, slow Trey songs might be too much right here in the set.

Antelope - Not to worry. Not a Top anything version, but fits in this slot perfectly. Fish kinda misses the end to the big peak, but they keep it going and end it nicely.

Possum - 3.0 fakeout! So many guests on this Tour and Possum got the Trucks Treatment less than a week prior. It's cool to hear a different take on  the Possum solo once in a while. I like this one.

Tuesday - Never really liked this tune but it serves as a great bookend to this stand as the Chicago bustout kicked things off.

A slight lull in the second set is the only "bad" part.
I give this the meatiest of A's.
a