News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Conservative Bible Project: Because the Bible is too "liberal"

Started by guyforget, October 06, 2009, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

In an environment that encourages/condones intolerance toward peoples of faith I can't say I'm too surprised that they were posted here.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on October 07, 2009, 11:25:10 AM
In an environment that encourages/condones intolerance toward peoples of faith I can't say I'm too surprised that they were posted here.
Is the paug intolerant of faith?  I don't see that.  I see certain arguments over certain aspects of faith based beliefs that could qualify as intolerant but overall, I think a certain level of respect exists here. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

I would just like to concur with this statement.  In an environment that is so sensitive when a term like "Gay" is used to imply that something "Sucks" or "Is Lame", it surprises me at how openly people of Faith are actively bashed by some of those who are so adamently pro-acceptance of those who are different from others.

This is the same hypocrisy that I see the "Conservative" Christians often exhibiting.  It is just in a slightly different form.

Alumni

I see your point, and I'll concede it. I have no argument with peoples' right to practice their faith peacefully.

...but I'd like to suggest a couple exemptions.

(1) I reserve the right to be intolerant of evangelism.
(2) When religious doctrine is injected into the rough and tumble of policy debates, it loses any privileged position. It's just another argument. 
Cause I got a degree

mbw

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 07, 2009, 11:30:17 AM

I would just like to concur with this statement.  In an environment that is so sensitive when a term like "Gay" is used to imply that something "Sucks" or "Is Lame", it surprises me at how openly people of Faith are actively bashed by some of those who are so adamently pro-acceptance of those who are different from others.

This is the same hypocrisy that I see the "Conservative" Christians often exhibiting.  It is just in a slightly different form.

yup.

sophist

You choose faith
You don't choose homosexuality

big difference. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Sophist on October 07, 2009, 11:33:36 AM

You choose faith

big difference.

I'm going to stop arguing here, and just say that I do not believe that I chose my faith in the same way that I am absolutely sure that Gay people do not feel as though they chose their homosexuality.  To argue this point, we would have to discuss specific aspects of Faith that I don't really feel comfortable discussing in an open forum, especially an open forum that is at least subtly hostile towards Faith.

I think the same respect to Religion should be granted here that is granted to Homosexuals, just as I feel that Homosexuals should be granted the same respect in regular society that Religion is afforded.

I feel as though that is way more than fair.

Buffalo Budd

I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the earlier posts.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 07, 2009, 11:38:43 AM

You choose faith

big difference.

I'm going to stop arguing here, and just say that I do not believe that I chose my faith in the same way that I am absolutely sure that Gay people do not feel as though they chose their homosexuality.  To argue this point, we would have to discuss specific aspects of Faith that I don't really feel comfortable discussing in an open forum, especially an open forum that is at least subtly hostile towards Faith.

I think the same respect to Religion should be granted here that is granted to Homosexuals, just as I feel that Homosexuals should be granted the same respect in regular society that Religion is afforded.

So you came out of your mother's womb with your faith? 

I don't think so.  I'm not asking for specifics here.  I am saying that at some point in your life, through whatever thought process, experience, etc, you or anyone else concludes a position on faith.  That is a choice. 

Homosexuality has been proven to be genetic, it isn't choice, it is just like i didn't choose to be born white, it just happened. 

Hicks

I just think respect for different lifestyles, regardless of whether they are chosen or not, is something we should promote here on the paug. 

Specific debates about topics are one thing, but I think the general attitude that "religion is stupid" doesn't do much for our community as a whole. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

RowJimmy, that isn't Christianity that effed with you, those were individuals who misused Christianity... judging the entire Faith by the misguided actions of those who possibly did not even understand the Religion that they were using to justify their (imo) idiotic actions is not prudent (imo). 

Also, a surprising number of Christians agree with you on many many social issues, and I think it is unfair to pre-judge these people because of their faith.

It's a total turn-off.

And yeah, I agree with Hicks.

And Sophist, since I believe that there is an entity that is God, I most certainly do believe that I popped out of my mothers womb via Ceasaerean section with my Faith.  Like I said, it's not really an issue I would like to delve too deeply into, because first of all you don't understand, and second of all, you don't want to understand.  Perhaps my Faith is "dumb" and slightly "arcane", however, I would prefer to be wrong that God exists when he doesn't than I would prefer to be wrong that God doesn't exist when he does. 

I don't want to turn into "the Christian guy" here on the board, so I politely ignore most posts regarding religion (the one exception being when RowJimmy baited me in a previous thread... but I felt that it was important to point out that even just as Fiction, Christian mythology is a powerful moral example), however it does usually make me cringe when most people here mention the hypocrisy of some who are Religious as tho all people who are Religious are hypocrites.  However hypocritical I think it is to bash religious people by many here, I totally respect your rights to bash them, and won't turn every thread where religion is mentioned into a Faith Fight, but I feel that this thread is a totally appropriate outlet for me to vent about something that annoys the fack out of me quite often.

However, I understand, because when I was a teenager, I was the doofus in my High School Dormitory who would leave "Heresy" by NIN on his stereo at full blast on repeat while he was in class to piss off all of the "FCA Kids" because I was such a bad ass.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Sophist on October 07, 2009, 11:41:52 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 07, 2009, 11:38:43 AM

You choose faith

big difference.

So you came out of your mother's womb with your faith? 

I don't think so.  I'm not asking for specifics here.  I am saying that at some point in your life, through whatever thought process, experience, etc, you or anyone else concludes a position on faith.  That is a choice. 

Homosexuality has been proven to be genetic, it isn't choice, it is just like i didn't choose to be born white, it just happened. 
I call bullshit!

You know that when your god was preparing to send you unto Earth, you got to choose your color, gender, and sexual preference.

No choice in god, though... that's be crazy talk.

rowjimmy

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 07, 2009, 11:48:22 AM
RowJimmy, that isn't Christianity that effed with you, those were individuals who misused Christianity... judging the entire Faith by the misguided actions of those who possibly did not even understand the Religion that they were using to justify their (imo) idiotic actions is not prudent (imo). 

Also, a surprising number of Christians agree with you on many many social issues, and I think it is unfair to pre-judge these people because of their faith.

It's a total turn-off.

Frankly faux, I don't give a fuck what turns YOU off.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on October 07, 2009, 11:45:21 AM
I just think respect for different lifestyles, regardless of whether they are chosen or not, is something we should promote here on the paug. 

Specific debates about topics are one thing, but I think the general attitude that "religion is stupid" doesn't do much for our community as a whole.
Understandable, and I should be clear, I wasn't saying we have what you are suggesting by any means.  I know I am guilty of being an ass at times.  However, I think compared to other boards we do maintain a certain level of civil discourse with regards to religion. 

Hicks

Quote from: Sophist on October 07, 2009, 11:50:17 AM
Quote from: Hicks on October 07, 2009, 11:45:21 AM

Understandable, and I should be clear, I wasn't saying we have what you are suggesting by any means.  I know I am guilty of being an ass at times.  However, I think compared to other boards we do maintain a certain level of civil discourse with regards to religion.

Of course, you guys are my bros, otherwise I wouldn't hang out here so much.

But I do think there's room for improvement on this topic.

Also, why did I choose to be so short before I was born.   :frustrated: