News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jeremy Lin

Started by VDB, February 15, 2012, 10:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski is simply beside himself, head over heels for the Knicks' Jeremy Lin. This is quite possibly the most breathless, salivating article I've ever read. Jesus.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avzp5nV1rM_E1IIu7gwjk8I5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_jeremy_lin_knicks_raptors_021512
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VA $l!m

as a 30 year long Knick fan, all i gotta say is "about fucking time something went our way". its only been about a 10 year shit storm...
thankfully ive been able to catch about half the games even here in nebraska.
been a great few weeks, and honestly i really like our team if they stay healthy.
its tough constantly trying to mesh new parts, but with B diddy's return, and the JR smith pickup we actually are pretty stacked ATM.
go knicks baby!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

runawayjimbo

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/asian-american-journalists-association-puts-out-the-official-guidelines-for-covering-jeremy-lin/

Asian American Journalists Association Puts Out The Official Guidelines For Covering Jeremy Lin

AAJA - As NBA player Jeremy Lin's prowess on the court continues to attract international attention and grab headlines, the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) would like to remind media outlets about relevance and context regarding coverage of race. In the past weeks, as more news outlets report on Lin, his game and his story, AAJA has noticed factual inaccuracies about Lin's background as well as an alarming number of references that rely on stereotypes about Asians or Asian Americans. Please give careful consideration to the following tips to ensure fair, accurate and sensitive portrayals of Lin and others who are Asian American.  AAJA and AAJA MediaWatch stand ready to assist any news organizations that have questions or concerns about news coverage and race. We all have the same goal: good journalism.

OUR GUIDELINES
Stop to think: Would a similar statement be made about an athlete who is Caucasian, African American or Latino?  Use caution when discussing Lin's physical characteristics, particularly those that feminize/emasculate the Asian male (Cinderella-story angles should not place Lin in a dress).

THE FACTS
1. Jeremy Lin is Asian American, not Asian (more specifically, Taiwanese American). It's an important distinction and one that should be considered before any references to former NBA players such as Yao Ming and Wang Zhizhi, who were Chinese.

3. Journalists don't assume that African American players identify with NBA players who emigrated from Africa. The same principle applies with Asian Americans. It's fair to ask Lin whether he looked up to or took pride in the accomplishments of Asian players. He may have. It's unfair and poor journalism to assume he did.

4. Lin is not the first Asian American to play in the National Basketball Association. Raymond Townsend, who's of Filipino descent, was a first-round choice of the Golden State Warriors in the 1970s.

DANGER ZONES
"CHINK": Pejorative; do not use in a context involving an Asian person on someone who is Asian American.

DRIVING: This is part of the sport of basketball, but resist the temptation to refer to an "Asian who knows how to drive."

EYE SHAPE: This is irrelevant. Do not make such references if discussing Lin's vision.

FOOD: Is there a compelling reason to draw a connection between Lin and fortune cookies, takeout boxes or similar imagery? In the majority of news coverage, the answer will be no.

MARTIAL ARTS: You're writing about a basketball player. Don't conflate his skills with judo, karate, tae kwon do, etc. Do not refer to Lin as "Grasshopper" or similar names associated with martial-arts stereotypes.

"ME LOVE YOU LIN TIME": Avoid. This is a lazy pun on the athlete's name and alludes to the broken English of a Hollywood caricature from the 1980s.

"YELLOW MAMBA": This nickname that some have used for Lin plays off the "Black Mamba" nickname used by NBA star Kobe Bryant. It should be avoided. Asian immigrants in the United States in the 19th and 20th centuries were subjected to discriminatory treatment resulting from a fear of a "Yellow Peril" that was touted in the media, which led to legislation such as the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Hey Asian American Journalists Association why don't you just take away all the fun? Maybe we should dress up Jeremy in blackface and we'll just completely pretend he's not Asian at all. How would you like that? This is probably the best thing to happen to Asians since the invention of dry cleaning. Like not one negative thing has happened regarding people of Asian descent as a result of Jeremy Lin's rise to super stardom. It's not like there are riots in the streets and concentration camps popping up everywhere because of racial tensions with Asian Americans. If anything thing are better and more harmonious. Like the other day an Asian dude blatantly walked directly into the middle of my chest getting on the subway before letting people off like they always do, and I just brushed it off like "Whatever man! J Lin got us another W last nite!" He's bringing us all together.

Bottom line is the vast majority of the world is able to handle race jokes and Asian puns. Everyone should embrace names like Yellow Mamba and Soy Sauce. Its what makes this story special. Its what makes Jeremy Lin, Jeremy Lin.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

You know, I hadn't thought of some of those jokes, but thanks to the AAJA now I am.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

UncleEbinezer

QuoteDRIVING: This is part of the sport of basketball, but resist the temptation to refer to an "Asian who knows how to drive."

ror!
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

2 SI covers in a row for Lin.  That must be some kind of curse/jinx.

zackonthetrain

only 8 points and 8 turnovers against the Heat last night...it seems he may have met his match
"a good sauce can't save a bad noodle"

Hicks

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on February 24, 2012, 04:43:35 PM
QuoteDRIVING: This is part of the sport of basketball, but resist the temptation to refer to an "Asian who knows how to drive."

ror!

This made me lol too, especially since my wife has been hit (while driving) by two Asians in the last six months.   :|
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.