News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Nice.
Is that duct tape on the cartridge?

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 24, 2008, 08:08:03 PM
Different.

This one is, at times, sedate; with gentle swoops of strings. But it picks up at times, too. It's a record that directly addresses mortality from a more mature perspective than some of his earlier albums.

Cool, I'll have to check it, wasn't a fan of Amazing Grace.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

* rowjimmy loves 'em all...

khalpin

I just read this thread for the first time and it made me revisit my vinyl collection (albeit small) and it brought back a lot of memories from college where I'd eat a couple hits of acid, listen to Close to the Edge (or any Yes) and stare at all the gatefold Roger Dean artwork for hours.  Especially Yessongs. 

And the packaging for the Thick as a Brick LP is a trip in itself.

rowjimmy

"Close to the Edge" is awesome....
Gonna have to rock that one ASAP. Thanks for reminding me.

As for great Tull covers, get "Stand Up" (though the newspaper in "Thick As A Brick" is cool.)

VA $l!m

one of my top ten LPs on vinyl. close to the edge that is. teh first album and fragile also rock the turntable.
IMO, yessongs lacked from some production that was boosted by the digital remaster.

as for tull...benefit would be my number one(also in my top ten all time vinyl), closely followed by minstrel in the gallery.

---to be clear i'm only talking about how all these  sound on vinyl.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Close To The Edge

now spinning

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 25, 2008, 07:09:50 PM
Close To The Edge

now spinning

the key is turning it up really loud when the birds start chripping
and for  siberian khatru

rowjimmy

I turn it up all the way through...

VA $l!m

when yoir done pull out the first album for a starship trooper encore

khalpin

Wow!  Didn't realize there was that much interest in Yes here.  I recently uploaded an episode of "In the Studio" about Close to the Edge for a Yes message board I frequent.  It's a weekly radio show about the making of various albums.  I don't know when it originally aired, probably back in the 80s.  It's music and interviews.  Anyway, here's the link if anyone wants to give it a whirl.  Some good stuff in there:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gjxh92

and not to be annoying, but The Yes Album was actually their third album, not the first.  Although, the first two pale in comparison to TYA material and later.

Also, if anyone wants some live Yes, audio or video, let me know.  I love spreading that music.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA slim on June 25, 2008, 07:15:25 PM
when yoir done pull out the first album for a starship trooper encore

Hrmm...
Maybe later.

Now we're rockin' OK Computer.

VA $l!m

Quote from: khalpin on June 25, 2008, 07:21:24 PM
Wow!  Didn't realize there was that much interest in Yes here.  I recently uploaded an episode of "In the Studio" about Close to the Edge for a Yes message board I frequent.  It's a weekly radio show about the making of various albums.  I don't know when it originally aired, probably back in the 80s.  It's music and interviews.  Anyway, here's the link if anyone wants to give it a whirl.  Some good stuff in there:

and not to be annoying, but The Yes Album was actually their third album, not the first.  Although, the first two pale in comparison to TYA material and later.

Also, if anyone wants some live Yes, audio or video, let me know.  I love spreading that music.

yeah i know... i just forgot since i dont have any of my LPS anymore... but we're all sick of hearing about that so its shut up time for slim.
i used to have their entire catalog on vinyl...as well as jethro tull's as well as pink floyds as well as zeppelin as well as the stones as well as ...well you get the idea.

Hicks

Quote from: VA slim on June 25, 2008, 10:11:27 PM
Quote from: khalpin on June 25, 2008, 07:21:24 PM

yeah i know... i just forgot since i dont have any of my LPS anymore... but we're all sick of hearing about that so its shut up time for slim.
i used to have their entire catalog on vinyl...as well as jethro tull's as well as pink floyds as well as zeppelin as well as the stones as well as ...well you get the idea.

I'm getting the idea that you have a geezer's record collection.   :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 25, 2008, 08:55:49 AM
Nice.
Is that duct tape on the cartridge?

nope  :-D......it's actually a NOS Shure dm25 (G type) from like '72 or '73...sounds sweeeeet...