News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W05: 07-25-1999 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Started by jedifunk, June 12, 2006, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

AND I KEEP GETTING SMITED!

I EVEN OFFERED TO GIVE AUGUST HEAD!  HOLY HELL.  I BET IT'S MATTSTICK!

jedifunk

yeah, i prefer to use a .sit for compression, but that requires that the person opening it has stuffit....

.sit used to be mac only, but now that stuffit has gone multiplatform (mac, windows, linux) its more universal... but still requires the downloading of stuffit..  but stuffit is the best compression/decompression software available IMO.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

Quote from: jedifunk on June 15, 2006, 05:05:32 PM
did you check the link about stuffit vs winzip?

the only thing i can think of is that i used the built-in .zip archiving in OS X.... not sure why that would matter, especially since i know other windows users can open my .zip files (re: faux)

yeah i checked out that comparison.
thanks for the link.

well...you turned me on to sendspace, so i will keep this handy!
a

jedifunk

mattstick hasnt been on the site since the 13th... so it aint him.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

anyhoo, how about this show huh?  great great show....  lets hear some more reviews!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on June 15, 2006, 05:09:57 PM
mattstick hasnt been on the site since the 13th... so it aint him.

Haha.  I know.  Where's the stats page?  I want to do some investigative work.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Yeah, it's a great show.  The first set wasn't as great as the fluffing of it was (even though it would have been a ton of fun to see live).  The second set was, however, OUTSTANDING.  The Antelope is GREAT... as is the Suzy.  I'll give my thoughts on this show later.  (However, the YEM was kind of lame...imo...).

August

i am listening to the first set right now.
this show as actually going to be my pick!
it was in the running with 7-10-97 and 12-29-97.
i really do love this show and havent heard it in about two months or so.
review tonight.
a

thelot

Quote from: jedifunk on June 15, 2006, 11:48:43 AM
mmm, i thought great woods night 2 (7/13) was an amazing 2 set show... i know lots of peeps say the 1st set outshines the 2nd, and it does, but the 2nd set holds its own... i love that wolfmans...

but i gotta say, i'm a little sad there arent more comments here... i was hoping my choice would generate alot more discussion that 3 pages... oh well.

I'm gonna dust this one off tomorrow night. It's probably been about 6 years since I last listened to it. Great show, one of my favorites from that tour.

sophist

Meat- this was a let down, not a good opener imo.  I was bored from the get go.  Pretty standard version, and it just doesnt do it for me
MFMF- good version, excellent segue into
My left toe- nasty song imo.  I really like this version, it builds nicely into Whipping Post.  I like how the boys make a seamless shift from 4/4 to 6/8.  Very tight transition and nice jamming.
Whipping Post-I was a bit turned off by it.  Trey either didnt wan to play or forget the chorus riff, and as a result page played it, which made it sound weird to me.  I did like the segue into it.  The jam is kind of weak imo.  It lacks the passionate drive that duane and company had when they performed it live.  was this preplanned?  By the sound of it, it sounds spontanious and unplanned. 
Makisupa Policeman-good version, i like the happy bday section, I found it humorous.
I saw it again-standard
Boogie on reggea woman-wow!!!! this smokes.  top notch version.  Really tight and really funky. 
Cavern-solid version, trey is in rock star mode, I like it.
Loving Cup-piss break and beer refill time

I just started the 2nd set now, so I'll be back with more comments later
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

Quote from: phan003 on June 15, 2006, 06:44:32 PM
Meat- this was a let down, not a good opener imo.  I was bored from the get go.  Pretty standard version, and it just doesnt do it for me
MFMF- good version, excellent segue into
My left toe- nasty song imo.  I really like this version, it builds nicely into Whipping Post.  I like how the boys make a seamless shift from 4/4 to 6/8.  Very tight transition and nice jamming.
Whipping Post-I was a bit turned off by it.  Trey either didnt wan to play or forget the chorus riff, and as a result page played it, which made it sound weird to me.  I did like the segue into it.  The jam is kind of weak imo.  It lacks the passionate drive that duane and company had when they performed it live.  was this preplanned?  By the sound of it, it sounds spontanious and unplanned. 
Makisupa Policeman-good version, i like the happy bday section, I found it humorous.
I saw it again-standard
Boogie on reggea woman-wow!!!! this smokes.  top notch version.  Really tight and really funky. 
Cavern-solid version, trey is in rock star mode, I like it.

you didnt enjoy the whipping post?  :-o flabbergasted i am....  this is easily the highlight for me... the jam simply smokes... to each their own.  :|
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

jedi,
as a huge ABB fan(original lineup) I'm use to hearing the jam a certain way.  I did enjoy it, but it was abit too spacey/melodic at times.  but to each his own....
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

Quote from: phan003 on June 15, 2006, 07:26:21 PM
jedi,
as a huge ABB fan(original lineup) I'm use to hearing the jam a certain way.  I did enjoy it, but it was abit too spacey/melodic at times.  but to each his own....

but isnt that the point of a band covering another bands tune?  to take it and make it their own?  of course it doesnt sound the way ABB used to play it... they werent trying to make it sound that way... it is no less sick because its not in the ABB style...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Quote from: phan003 on June 15, 2006, 06:44:32 PM

Piss break? It's the encore for Chrissakes! If you've managed to last that long . . .  :beers:
Cause I got a degree

birdman

Just finished Set I  on my way home tonight. Never heard this before, nor many other 99's so its hard for me to compare this with other contemporary shows...so excuse my non-99 listening ass :-P
Meat- better live than on tape Im sure...thankfully

MFMF is up next and really gets the show moving. Nice solid version...cant go wrong with My Friend

MLT, interesting segue, not real dfamiliar with this tune, but Mikes playing is hypnotic

Whipping Post...I would have been losing my shit as they started playing this...Treys vocals were rather weak and the playing is a bit sloppy early on, I was beginning to cringe when they finally synced up and blew the roof off the place by the end of the jam..very nice...rocking kickdown

Makisupa is a great breather after the Post...Keef :banana:
  the birthday buisiness would have been fun to see live but doesn't come across that well listening from my car
Saw it Again...hated this the first time I heard it...now I've grown to like this tune..pretty standard version
 Boogie On..my favorite Stevie song EVER. Loved this before Phish busted it out in 97, then I loved it even more. This version may not be the best ever but I would have been dancing my ass off. Again Mike sounds phenomenal.
Cavern-meh

Looking forward to set II...excellent choice Jedi

Paug FTMFW!