News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/08 - Darien Lake PAC - Darien, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Caravan2001, June 08, 2011, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

aphineday

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Gumbo72203

Just got home into bed.  Long drive after that......  soaking wet with sweat, no voice....

Guys, I don't know....  I think this may have been the breakthrough.  I mean, I was about as sober as one can be while still being "lubricated" (2 beers and like, I think maybe 4 or 5 puffs of a joint the whole show) and like, while there were some minor goofs, 9 4/11ths of the rest of the time Trey was absolutely perfect.  ABSOLUTELY perfect.  He shredded, melodicized, and dripped goo from the walls. 

And I think I figured out the key to 3.0:  Mike is Trey.  Mike now occupies the lead role; it hit me all of a sudden during the KDF jam and Wolfmans, too:  Trey is listening and playing off Mike.  The 46 Days sent this home forever, too:  LISTEN TO MIKE.  We need to stop listening to Trey.  Its amazing; focusing solely on Mike, and then allowing Trey's playing to kind of buffer the background and fill out the spaces resulted in such a MASSIVE shift in perspective on 3.0 and his playing for me. 

STOP FOCUSING ON TREY WHEN YOU LISTEN. 

Many more thoughts to come after recovery.  But............  when they can melt it with Brian and Robert, its good. 

Immediate highlights worth re-listening:

Set I:
Wolfmans, Undermind, Ice, 46 Days, Limb, and Zero (this song doesn't suck anymore)

Set II:
Golden Age (TYPE II OUTRO!!!!!), FEFY, Weekapaug, WHATS THE USE?!?!!!!, Theme with Page weirdness on the jam ending, Number Line, 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, this was the most fun I've ever had at a Phish show.  The jamming was there, they went out, and I had so many of those "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!" shit-fits that I annoyed QUITE a few people on the lawn.  Especially when I "shhhhhhhhhhh-ed" everyone during Whats The Use?.  It got QUIET. 

Barring the bum-chord ending of Mikes and the lick in Theme which he ALMOST had, that set was absolutely flawlessly played.  I couldn't fucking believe it. 

So many people will hate this, I'm sure, especially for DFB and BnR in set 1, but it was perfect.  Phish went deep and thick, and 2001 came back.  Trey's playing was just.... confident, and fluid.  Mike led with a big HOLY SHIT the whole show.  So perfect, so perfect.  Ugh, I can't believe that all happened. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mistercharlie

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 09, 2011, 05:00:00 AM

Gumbo has pinpointed the key to fully enjoying 3.0 right here. If you make Mike the focus of your ears, 3.0 is much, much better.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 09, 2011, 06:01:08 AM
Quote from: slslbs on June 09, 2011, 06:00:02 AM
yep
I've been focusing on Mike and Page for a while

And fish, don't forget about fish.

Used to be you could listen to the whole band.

/just sayin'

//considers downloading the show

Igbo

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 09, 2011, 05:57:08 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 09, 2011, 05:00:00 AM

Gumbo has pinpointed the key to fully enjoying 3.0 right here. If you make Mike the focus of your ears, 3.0 is much, much better.

Do i get 25% off the ticket price?

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 09, 2011, 07:30:59 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 09, 2011, 06:01:08 AM
Quote from: slslbs on June 09, 2011, 06:00:02 AM
yep
I've been focusing on Mike and Page for a while

And fish, don't forget about fish.

Used to be you could listen to the whole band.

/just sayin'

//considers downloading the show
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mattstick

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

bacchist

I'm going to go ahead and say this was the best show ever (among shows whose two longest songs were a 11:30 hood and 9:15 golden age).

Some inspired playing, for sure.
Rebuilding...