News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R16/W04 : 07-30-1993 - The Veranda at Starwood, Antioch, TN

Started by PIE-GUY, October 08, 2012, 11:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Phish

July 30, 1993
Starwood Plaza
Antioch, TN

source: Nakamichi CM300/CP4 > DAT/D7 @ 16/48
transfer: DAT(clones from the masters)/DA-20 > coax > Audiophile2496 > Peak4.13 > xACT > FLAC
taped by Greg Hewlett & J.T. Lucchesi / transfered by J.T. Lucchesi

- set 1 / disc 1 -
01. Contact
02. Llama
03. Uncle Pen
04. Stash
05. Esther
06. Chalkdust Torture
07. I Didn't Know
08. Reba
09. Cavern

- set 2 / disc 2 -
01. Also Sprach Zarathustra >
02. Tweezer
03. The Horse > Silent in the Morning
04. Poor Heart
05. Fluffhead
06. My Friend
07. Golgi Apparatus
08. Squirming Coil
09. David Bowie
- encore -
10. Walk Away
11. Amazing Grace

notes:
- d1t01 began with band members at the back of the crowd, rolling in on a golf cart
- all fades and crowd edit(before encore) were on the DATs
- master DATs are lost
- a Home Team recording

Lossy: http://www.mediafire.com/?c1t2ewx6fwjn9
Lossless: http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=3007 (any help seeding is appreciated)

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

whatapiper

Gave this a test run today while cleaning the house and am looking forward to a proper listen.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

natronzero

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: natronzero on October 09, 2012, 12:56:54 AM
Hometown-ish show for you at the time Dave?

There's a story to be told... When I get the review done.

PIE-GUY

Warning: Long post filled with nostalgia ahead!!

So, this show was at Starwood Amphitheatre, which was a typical summer  shed (very similar to Lakewood or Walnut Creek) that is no longer there.  This was not on the main stage, though. They set up a temporary stage out where the concession stands and bathrooms all were... basically up at the top of the lawn. It was the same area where they put the second stage for the Lollapalooza shows that took place there.

They were scheduled to play the same place the following year but the show was moved to the main stage due to rain. That was pretty cool, too, actually. The pavilion was less than half full and 100% general admission. Definitely a show worth checking out for the "If I Could" with Alison Kraus.

On a personal note - I was in Nashville for summer school sessions at Vandy. I was taking a photography class to get my GPA up high enough to be allowed to stay in school. It was one of the best summers of my life. I went to this show with my big sister, my buddy Nate, and this girl I was hooking up with who ended up being my sister's maid of honor for her first wedding. She had huge cans and introduced me to Koyannisqatsi.  :wtu:

This show was also my first experience with paper. I had 1 or 2 nights with boomers before, but never paper. It was intense. I remember almost every moment with complete clarity. I spent the entire second set dancing on a picnic table with a cute hippie girl I never saw again after that night. The picnic table was about 25 yards from the stage so I had a completely unobstructed view of the stage from 4 feet above the heads of the entire crowd.

Add to that, CK5 had just added the new "robotic" lights to the rig for the first time.  They debuted 2001 at the beginning of the tour and it served as a showcase for the new lights. In fact, Kuroda wouldn't even use the new lights until the second set each night on this tour so that 2001 was this big intro to them. Everyone was talking about it on rec.music.phish, so I was expecting it... then the first show I saw that summer was at the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville and it was the first show with no 2001 after 11 straight. Needless to say, my mind was immediately blown from the opening notes of Set 2.

All told - An EPCOT night in the life of young Pie-Guy. On to the review:

- set 1 / disc 1 -

01. Contact - OK, this story is sort of told in the show notes... here's my version... before the show started, we were Fish side right next to this chain-link fence that separated the crowd from the makeshift "backstage" area. We see the band being driven to the stage on golf carts (I guess from the dressing rooms by the main stage). The first golf cart has Mike in the passenger seat with his bass in his hands. We see him and start cheering. He smiles and starts playing his bass... which is wireless, so everyone can hear it. However, If you weren't right against this fence, there was no way you could see him, so most people had no clue what was happening. That's why you hear Mike alone for a while on this recording before the rest of the band joins in... Trey then does the same thing when he pulls up. So you'll hear the two of them for a minute until finally they are all onstage and playing Contact. Pretty cool.

02. Llama - Now the show starts "for real." Solid rockin' Llama.

03. Horn - I love this song - not much to report other than well-played version.

03. Uncle Pen - A Bill Monroe classic played very near where Monroe was living at the time... a tip of the hat, if you will. Played fast and furious with great solos from Mike and Page. Fantastic!

04. Stash - Jam starts out interesting - also, this is where I really started to realize things were happening in my brain and body. An early mini-peak for me at the show. I really got lost in this jam. It was the first time that had ever happened to me in any context. Intense memory just listening to it now. About 8 minutes in they lock into a pattern similar to the ALO version. Whew. So good. I miss Stashes like this one. It peaks brilliantly, then they take it down to almost nothing to end it. Wow. One of my favorite Stashes of all time.

05. Esther - pins and needles from that quiet Stash ending - people are listening. Great placement of Esther. Played exceptionally well by all four. A song that benefited tremendously from Page's newly added baby grand.

06. Chalkdust Torture - short and rocking. Classic CDT

07. I Didn't Know - Madonna washboard solo - no vacuum. Fun!

08. Reba - They take the jam down to almost nothing right away. So quiet. Again, Page's baby grand sounds amazing here. You can just tell he loves playing those little trills up high that would have sounded like crap on the old keyboard. After that quiet segment, they get right to the rocking - almost no build-up between the two. Still, a great Reba with great quiet section and a smoking final jam.

09. Cavern - Sounds like a set closer to me!

- set 2 /

01. Also Sprach Zarathustra > see my story above... this was my first time hearing this song (other than the Strauss version from 2001, obviously). The lights were incredible. The spaceship launched and off we went... and they drop right into...

02. Tweezer - This Tweezer is interesting. It is unrelenting. It rocks loud and proud until the very end when the "slow down" eases into Trey on acoustic - not as smooth a transition as the Mikes->Horse from 12/30/93, but still a pretty cool transition where he takes the theme he was playing on electric and continues it on acoustic.

03. The Horse > Silent in the Morning - Love Horse on acoustic guitar. Sounds so sweet.

04. Poor Heart - Lightning fast! So tight on these tunes back in 93. Page, especially, sounds great here!

05. Fluffhead - this song just bristled with energy back in the early 90's, didn't it? Sofa king great! Also, I love the acoustic outtro. This is the only time I saw Trey do that, I think. Can't think of another show I was at where he did. And he eases right into...

06. My Friend - again, I think this is the only time I saw Trey do this on acoustic. Sounds fantastic. Actually, let me say that I think Trey's acoustic guitar sounded better in 1993 than it ever did when he busted it out in later years. I don't know what's different about it, but it sounds great.

07. Golgi Apparatus - the first of three "set closers" in a row. As with everything in this show, tight tight tight!!

08. Squirming Coil - My first time hearing Coil with the baby grand. I was mesmerized by Page from my perch on the picnic table.

09. David Bowie - a typically intense Bowie to close out the set. Solid!!

- encore -

10. Walk Away - Hard to complain about a rock and roll song like this one!!

11. Amazing Grace - How sweet the sound. I gave that cute hippie girl a big hug and off I went into the night with my crew.

Obviously, this show is special to me. It's one of the shows I point to when I try to figure out why I became so obsessed with Phish. It was one of those nights where nothing could have gone wrong no matter what. All the acoustic stuff is great. The Stash is extraordinary. The Reba, Tweezer, and Bowie are all top notch. The energy just never lets up.

A prime example of Phish in 1993. Solid A!

antelope19

Is that pic of something you kept, or something you found on google? 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

McGrupp

Really enjoyed reading that review, PIE.

Surprised you left setbreak out of the review  :-P Sounds like it was a hell of a night.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: antelope19 on October 09, 2012, 04:03:55 PM
Is that pic of something you kept, or something you found on google?

I dug those handbills out of my files...

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

whatapiper

beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

7/30/93

Contact- First off, you gotta love this crispy recording and Contact showcases the sound well.  Pretty funny story about the golf carts etc!  Usually found in the encore slot or second set this was only played once previously as a show opener and never since.   

Llama- A blistering version and my favorite year for this tune. 

Horn- As perfect as a Horn will get and after that Llama you gotta love the placement.

Uncle Penn- Mixing it up nicely!  Everyone plays this with effortless precision nailing their respective parts and kudos to Mike for sounding like he's playing an upright at times.

Stash- Some meat after a great Penn.  If one song deserves a "they don't make them like they used to" it's Stash.  There's a nice jazzy feel to the composed and WoW the vocals really shine here!  Love how quiet the jam gets around 6+ minutes in complete with scream from Trey? Tension is the name of the game early on and it gets dark and nasty quickly with Trey in the lead.  8:45 is some intensity that has me gripping my seat.  More and more tension from there to a masterful climax.  A fair amount of crowd reaction and especially when >

Esther- A regular in the early 90's this Esther sounds nicely polished.   Further enhanced by it's whimsey we have what dreams are made of with Page's and Trey's respective solos.  This makes me think of the tapes I listened to getting into these guys in 94.

Chalkdust- You know everyone is getting their asses down about now and extremely stoked.   Phish.net says less than 1800 tix sold, PG you lucky bastard.   Insane work from Trey whipping me into a frenzy so I can only imagine the crowd....and PG.   Short and oh so sweet.

I Didn't Know- This set has just about everything and who doesn't love a little washboard? 

Reba- Wait, now this set has everything.  Everything sounds better in 93 :: mental note, cue up some 93::   Composed sounds good to my ears but it kills me all the chatter during the start of the jam.  Trey and Page have been spooning all night and here is no exception, Trey catapults himself into epic overdrive to give me that head pounding Reba I want.  Imagining the lights popping up at 11 minutes I'm wondering how many times will..this..peak!  With whistling that was fantastic.

Cavern- Once a pup with balls this funky version closes out an excellent set. 

2001- They are really getting into it, I can see the fog machines now.  If the first set didn't set the tone, hopefully this will.  An intense and short version dropped right >

Tweezer- Not messing around and keeping the party going .  The intro is extremely funky and would have had me begging for the jam to start.    Trey getting dirty early on around 5 minutes in and I'm wondering how the picnic table didn't collapse.  Wasting no time we have a them coming to fruition around 7 minutes in.   More tension but a quick Tweezer like release to the dance party floor.  I really enjoyed the ending and guitar switch before >

Horse>Silent- Absolutely beautiful with the acoustic and sounds delicious on this pull.

Poor Heart - A blistering knee slapper.

Fluffhead- I see what Phish did there, play a bunch of shows in the early 90's in remote places from the NE, make everyone childishly obsessed with them, then never play there again.  Slight misstep from Fish I believe but he rebounds and I'm drooling over how easily they are breaking down the chase.  Page owns this  and I'm sure he made more than a few converts this night.  Big finish with more fist pumping etc on my part and there you have it folks a proper Fluffhead...and is that Trey on the acoustic again?! Perfect segue >

MFMF- That's how the intro should always be.   Textbook version

Golgi- Not letting up but picking up the speed instead.   Love these early versions because the end is always played so much better. 

Coil- Trey has a great echo going on during the composed highlighting this one nicely.  As always Page owns and has us hypnotized with what seems like a longer than usual solo.  No chatter here!

Bowie- What are they trying to accomplish here?  Coil tease in the intro before a quick drop into Bowie.  Vocals just sound fantastic again.  Mike is crystal clear during the composed but Trey is just too strong a force and leads the train.  A pretty straightforward rocker building tension again and delivering a perfect Bowie finish.

Walk Away- Love it

Amazing Grace-

Really enjoyed this show, I need to force myself to spin more pre 95 Phish.  Great mix of songs and flow to the show.  The Stash is one to remember and that Reba was not too shabby either.  An easy A
beginning to end
we belong

Augustus

The NAK source sounds great for this show.

Contact - 2nd and last time used as a show opener. Extended Mike solo to start and I always love the funky breakdown. I guess it works as an opener?

Llama - Tight and concise. Band was then.

Horn - Trey gets a little lost during the lead.

Uncle - Setting the groundwork for their showcase. Nice leads by both Trey and Page.

Stash - Saw that once coming. Composed section is fluid and they fall into a theme early on in the jam. Mike and trey hook up and accents quietly with some haunting vox beneath. Trey is performing a non-stop note assault. Just crazy notes. 1st peak @ 10 minutes in. Unconventional return to the ending with some more vocal stylings.

Esther - Super tight version and serves as the breather.

Chalk - Mike switches his line up briefly at 3:40. Good version, but I find it a little less smokey compared to other July versions.

IDK - Washboard style. Whispering the last verses and PANTING. PANTING!

Reba - Always a treat to get two heavy hitters in the first set. OK composed. Ultra quiet start to jam with an ultra quiet audience. Fiery peaks throughout.

Cavern - Complete with lyrical miscue.

2001 - First and last time it opened a second set.

Tweezer - String scraping to start the jam off. Page really sets the feel for this one as it quickly pulls from the standard Tweezer space. Nice peak at 8:45. Heavy, slow outro. This same heavy riff continues as Trey switches to the acoustic, as well.

H/S - Acoustic Horse. I felt like the timing in Silent was a little off at times.

Heart - Nice tempo. Aside from the slick solos from Trey an Mike, I think Fish is the actually winner here. His snare and ride work is so crisp!

Fluff - Some good (Page's break) and some bad (Trey.) Fade out with the acoustic which segues quite nicely into >>>

My Friend - A little rough during the composed part that is almost always rough. A little different ending on this one, too.

Golgi - App store.

Coil - They are having fun with the outro section in lieu of the Page solo. 3.0 fakeout alert!

Bowie - Short intro. Page is extra active on this one and fills in the spaces nicely. They link up early on in the jam and end it quickly.

Walk Away - In the rare encore slot. Kinda destroyed this one. It doesn't take a Tweezer Reprise jam with a dance beat for this to work, kiddies.

Grace - Slow, steady and rehearsed.

Kinda reminds me of my 1st show once week earlier with 9 repeats.
A good representation of July '93 here, but a little loose in parts.
For the month, I'd give it a B.

khalpin

PIE-GUY

Quote from: whatapiper on October 12, 2012, 01:48:32 AM
and I'm wondering how the picnic table didn't collapse.

I was easily 40 lbs lighter then than now.

whatapiper

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 15, 2012, 10:24:24 AM
Quote from: whatapiper on October 12, 2012, 01:48:32 AM
and I'm wondering how the picnic table didn't collapse.

I was easily 40 lbs lighter then than now.

Just seeing if you're paying attention!  :wink:
beginning to end
we belong