News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 27, 2018, 01:31:22 AM
Quote from: Hicks on October 27, 2018, 12:19:45 AM
Quote from: mattstick on October 26, 2018, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 26, 2018, 05:03:54 PM
Been digging into the PNW box on this rainy fall day, so good, the playing, mixing/mastering everything about it is just superb. 

Best GD box ever?

Certainly a contender.

#1 Europe 72

I meah yeah sure, but I will say that setlist wise 72 is kind of repetitive, it's sort of the same two (excellent) shows over and over. Obviously there are several unique Dark Stars and Other Ones and it's cool to hear Playing hulk out until it's an absolute monster by the end of the tour. But I think if I were to listen to all 22 shows back to back I'd be thinking "ugh Me and My Uncle again?" pretty quick. Part of that is just the size of it with 80 discs or whatever, but also the large amount of new songs in 73-74 allowed for much more variety. Finally, these Plangent guys are true audio wizards, using them for the transfer on the PNW box really takes the sound to a whole new level.
i hear ya about 72, but really its just the sample size that is giving you the repeat feeling more than anything.
Trust me, just as many repeats in 73 even with the new songs, though to some extent they played certain standards a little looser and with a  more variation.
I actually just listened to all of 73 up through june and finally had to take a break b/c the repeats were wearing on me, 1st sets more than 2nds, but it happens no matter what year if you listen to enough back to back.

Yeah you're right, it's not the setlists, it's just that they are a better band in 73, capable of taking jams to more varied places with their new emphasis on jazzy motifs and more free flowing, melodic improv.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

BTw i listened to that GOletta filler and i musta been thinking about the Winterland Terrapin with the At a siding or something cuase this ones  standard.
The Dew was very solid though as all the late 70s versions are as it becomes increasingly rare.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mattstick

#1 Europe 72

I meah yeah sure, but I will say that setlist wise 72 is kind of repetitive, it's sort of the same two (excellent) shows over and over. Obviously there are several unique Dark Stars and Other Ones and it's cool to hear Playing hulk out until it's an absolute monster by the end of the tour. But I think if I were to listen to all 22 shows back to back I'd be thinking "ugh Me and My Uncle again?" pretty quick. Part of that is just the size of it with 80 discs or whatever, but also the large amount of new songs in 73-74 allowed for much more variety. Finally, these Plangent guys are true audio wizards, using them for the transfer on the PNW box really takes the sound to a whole new level.

I think the boxsets should have material from the same tour, ideally being a complete package like Europe 72 and Winterland 73 or 77 sets.

With the Europe 72 box I'll bounce around and listen to a few first set songs here, then jump into one of the big jams - I can't imagine a world where I could listen to those 22 shows in a row consecutivaely.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on October 27, 2018, 01:01:33 PM
Been digging into the PNW box on this rainy fall day, so good, the playing, mixing/mastering everything about it is just superb. 

Best GD box ever?

Certainly a contender.

#1 Europe 72

i hear ya about 72, but really its just the sample size that is giving you the repeat feeling more than anything.
Trust me, just as many repeats in 73 even with the new songs, though to some extent they played certain standards a little looser and with a  more variation.
I actually just listened to all of 73 up through june and finally had to take a break b/c the repeats were wearing on me, 1st sets more than 2nds, but it happens no matter what year if you listen to enough back to back.

Yeah you're right, it's not the setlists, it's just that they are a better band in 73, capable of taking jams to more varied places with their new emphasis on jazzy motifs and more free flowing, melodic improv.

I dunno, I disagree.  '72 is kind of my high water mark.  I see what you are saying about the setlist but 73 is kind of the same way even though there is a whole batch of awesome new songs.  But '72 still has a little bit more of bleed over from primal dead that I appreciate.  I like the jazzy stuff and I love 73-74 but I like the rawness that '72 offers.  Another huge thing for me is that '72 still had Pigpen around so there are some amazing Lovelights, Cautions, etc.  That said, there are no Eyes of the World.  It's all good.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 28, 2018, 05:01:11 PM

Best GD box ever?

Certainly a contender.

#1 Europe 72

I dunno, I disagree.  '72 is kind of my high water mark.  I see what you are saying about the setlist but 73 is kind of the same way even though there is a whole batch of awesome new songs.  But '72 still has a little bit more of bleed over from primal dead that I appreciate.  I like the jazzy stuff and I love 73-74 but I like the rawness that '72 offers.  Another huge thing for me is that '72 still had Pigpen around so there are some amazing Lovelights, Cautions, etc.  That said, there are no Eyes of the World.  It's all good.

Obviously you're not alone in saying 72 is the absolute peak of the band.

For me personally though, I'd put it somewhere around Feb/March of 73, the new songs and the playing just hit a whole new level once they figured out they could apply jazz type jamming to their catalog. And really that peak type playing continued throughout much of 73, although those Feb/March shows just have such a fresh/revelatory quality as you can hear the band blowing it's own my mind with their newfound techniques. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

The cover for the 5/21/74 Playin' In The Band LP is dope.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2018, 06:54:00 PM

Best GD box ever?

Certainly a contender.

#1 Europe 72

For me personally though, I'd put it somewhere around Feb/March of 73, the new songs and the playing just hit a whole new level once they figured out they could apply jazz type jamming to their catalog. And really that peak type playing continued throughout much of 73, although those Feb/March shows just have such a fresh/revelatory quality as you can hear the band blowing it's own my mind with their newfound techniques.

Yeah, February is my jam.  Lincoln and Salt Lake City never get old for me.

ETA: and Madison too.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on October 28, 2018, 06:54:29 PM
The cover for the 5/21/74 Playin' In The Band LP is dope.

Siiiick. Do want.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2018, 06:54:00 PM

Best GD box ever?

Certainly a contender.

#1 Europe 72

you can go round in circles when it comes to alking about 'absolute peaks' for the band.
Honestly after listening to tapes for over 30 years i still can barely give you my fav 3 shows, lol.
dead eras , like with all good art, can't really be 'ranked' in any meaningful manner. What makes one year good isn't what makes another year just as good.

Though technically the correct answer is Fall 72.  :-D
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

When I listen to 72, I think it's the best. Then I listen to 73, and I say no, it's 73. Then 74, and I say aha!  It's 74. Then I listen to 72 and start all over again...

Analytically, 72 has a bit more umph or energy.  73- 4 are a bit "prettier" for lack of a better word, a bit jazzier, plus the new songs from WOTF.

It's all great
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Nope, my mind is made up, 73 is the best year of the GD.   :mrgreen:

nab

I also find 72 to be consistently great and consistently repetitive.  That said, I got "it" listening to the Lovelight>GDTRFB from Hundred Year Hall. 

My first (informed) love, and always crush, for the early 70s will probably be 73.  It took me a long time to warm up to 77 because I spent years thinking it to be too polished and repetitive.

There may be hope for a similar renaissance for 72 in the future. 

That's what keeps me listening.     

Caravan2001

and my opinion changes from time to time.  You could argue that 68-69 is the peak, and you wouldn't be wrong.  I mean, 2/13/70 has got to be in every top 5.

nab

I've tried several times to listen to Europe 72 (box) back to back and failed every time. 

Glad to have it out though.  Nice resource to dip into. 

nab

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 28, 2018, 11:50:56 PM
and my opinion changes from time to time.  You could argue that 68-69 is the peak, and you wouldn't be wrong.  I mean, 2/13/70 has got to be in every top 5.

This too