News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

the closest to general consensus you consistently hear is 70 & 72-74, then you can tack on 69...then people say but what about 77 or 89/90, and even 68.
-deadheads  :-D  :syf:

shoot, i can even argue 75 if # of shows played doesnt count, lol. 
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

I mean, while we're sort of on the topic, the Europe '72 box is so sick.  No matter how many times I listen to it, there is always new stuff to find that is stellar.  I think it is so highly regarded because the whole tour is consistently good.  Yeah, the first sets are kind of repetitive (but good) but there is so much material to dig into.  I mean I had never really listened to the end of the first set/beginning of the second set of 5/18/72 and it is just simply a mind blower.  It doesn't look like that much up to the Dark Star (besides Playing) but when you listen, holy cow. I took a bunch of acid at the Gorge two summers ago and did a K bump at like 3 in the morning and then 25 minutes later did one more (probably too big) K bump/line and fuck.  Between It Hurts Me Too and BIODTL I went to hell and back.  It's so good.  Luckily I didn't have the Dark Star,  that might have been too much.  The beginning of the second set up to Dark Star looks regular but it's as heavy as it gets.

05/18/72
Deutsches Museum Halle - Munich, West Germany
Set 1:
Truckin'
Sugaree
Mr. Charlie
Jack Straw
Tennessee Jed
Chinatown Shuffle
Black Throated Wind
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
El Paso
It Hurts Me Too
You Win Again
Playin' In The Band
Good Lovin'
Casey Jones

Set 2:
Sitting On Top Of The World
Me And My Uncle
Ramble On Rose
Beat It On Down The Line
Dark Star
Morning Dew
Drums
Sugar Magnolia

Encore:
Sing Me Back Home
One More Saturday Night

susep

Quote from: nab on October 28, 2018, 11:50:52 PM
I also find 72 to be consistently great and consistently repetitive.  That said, I got "it" listening to the Lovelight>GDTRFB from Hundred Year Hall. 

My first (informed) love, and always crush, for the early 70s will probably be 73.  It took me a long time to warm up to 77 because I spent years thinking it to be too polished and repetitive.

There may be hope for a similar renaissance for 72 in the future. 

That's what keeps me listening.     

26April72 Hundred Year Hall, besides Europe 72, was my first exposure to 72 Dead. 
Comes A Time needs no description, hauntingly beautiful, Jerry at his absolute best.  I still hold the HYHall China - Rider as simply one of their best versions ever.  The segue w/ Phil leading charge is sublime.   Its incredible to have that show unedited along w/ every show from the tour.
Kudos to Lemieux and Co.  They set the bar on archival releases. 

VA $l!m

Happy Halloween !
1st postcoma show i believe

mattstick

New Dave's is a very interesting show (6/17/76).  Less polished than most 76s, definitely loose and groovy.  The Help/Slip is remarkable and the Ship Of Fools is very good.

edit:: Holy shit this Wharf Rat.

Also happens to be the show from the day I was born.

VA $l!m

VA $l!m

VA $l!m

have to give a shout out to this Other One from 9-9-72 that i've had in my car for like the last 4 months.
I've listened to this set  at least 20 times in a row and it still spaces me out every time to the point i dont get sick of it by the next time it comes up in my changer.
35 minutes oozing stuff...

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 07, 2018, 05:05:34 PM
have to give a shout out to this Other One from 9-9-72 that i've had in my car for like the last 4 months.
I've listened to this set  at least 20 times in a row and it still spaces me out every time to the point i dont get sick of it by the next time it comes up in my changer.
35 minutes oozing stuff...

Yeah, I could give a shoutout to all Sept. 72 other ones.  So damn good.  Spring and Summer 72 for that matter as well.  Always something new in them no matter how many times i have heard them. 

rowjimmy

I'll second the props to September '72

VA $l!m

gah

Was doing some looking around on audible for something to get with my latest credit (decided on the beasties book), but came across this to be released on 11/27/18....figured some of you might be interested:

Cornell '77
The Music, the Myth, and the Magnificence of the Grateful Dead's Concert at Barton Hall
By: Peter Conners
Narrated by: Johnny Heller
Length: 5 hrs and 2 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 11-27-18
Language: English
Publisher: Tantor Audio

QuotePublisher's Summary
On May 8, 1977, at Barton Hall, on the Cornell University campus, in front of 8,500 eager fans, the Grateful Dead played a show so significant that the Library of Congress inducted it into the National Recording Registry. The band had just released Terrapin Station and was still finding its feet after an extended hiatus. In 1977, the Grateful Dead reached a musical peak, and their East Coast spring tour featured an exceptional string of performances, including the one at Cornell. 

Many Deadheads claim that the quality of the live recording of the show made by Betty Cantor-Jackson (a member of the crew) elevated its importance. Once those recordings-referred to as "Betty Boards" - began to circulate among Deadheads, the reputation of the Cornell '77 show grew exponentially. With time the show at Barton Hall acquired legendary status in the community of Deadheads and audiophiles. 

Rooted in dozens of interviews - including a conversation with Betty Cantor-Jackson about her recording - Cornell '77 is about far more than just a single Grateful Dead concert. It is a social and cultural history of one of America's most enduring and iconic musical acts, their devoted fans, and a group of Cornell students whose passion for music drove them to bring the Dead to Barton Hall. Peter Conners has intimate knowledge of the fan culture surrounding the Dead, and his expertise brings the show to life. He leads listeners through a song-by-song analysis of the performance, from "New Minglewood Blues" to "One More Saturday Night," and conveys why, 40 years later, Cornell '77 is still considered a touchstone in the history of the band. 

As Conners notes in his Prologue: "You will hear from Deadheads who went to the show. You will hear from non-Deadhead Cornell graduates who were responsible for putting on the show in the first place. You will hear from record executives, academics, scholars, Dead family members, tapers, traders, and trolls. You will hear from those who still live the Grateful Dead every day. You will hear from those who would rather keep their Grateful Dead passions private for reasons both personal and professional. You will hear stories about the early days of being a Deadhead and what it was like to attend, and perhaps record, those early shows, including Cornell '77."

©2017 Peter Conners (P)2018 Tantor
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

Uploading my tagged and labelled 30 Days of Dead 2018
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/72TXGq8qQOC2Dm6BuoAiLyc281w7uQ9ovkFf0k96Zdf

I guessed on Day 30, so you may have to rename the file if I guessed wrong...

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on November 30, 2018, 06:40:24 AM

Uploading my tagged and labelled 30 Days of Dead 2018
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/72TXGq8qQOC2Dm6BuoAiLyc281w7uQ9ovkFf0k96Zdf

I guessed on Day 30, so you may have to rename the file if I guessed wrong...

Sick dude- thanks! K+