News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Soccer Thread

Started by MiamiPhish, August 18, 2008, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

seriously, how the fuck did i miss this?

so world cup qualifying... well, spain still looks impressive thats for sure...  my azzurri still don't look right. they needed an injury time score by di natale to win their first match, and still didn't look great yesterday vs. georgia... they dominated shots on goal (8-2), but T.O.P. was like 35-65 in favor of georgia...

of course lippi has really been selecting the "real" starting XI... but still. we need to pick it up.

on the club side of things... the EPL sux, its such a wankfest... serie a & la liga are still far superior leagues IMO.

the serie a will be fun to watch this year as there are 5 really good teams that will fight it out for champs league spots & the scudetto.  my prediction?  1. milan 2. juve 3. inter 4. roma 5. fiorentina

la liga looks real hard to predict this year, as the league is extremely stacked through the top half... especially with barca & madrid looking a little down ATM... i'd say though at the end it will be 1. barca 2. madrid 3. sevilla 4. athletico

epl? well i have no choice but to watch it since foxsoccerchannel shows more of their matches than any other league... too many rich owners fucking up the game there IMO.  but anyways, i'd say it looks like this. 1. chelski 2. man u 3. arsenal 4. tottenham 5. liverpool 5. blackburn 6. man city

wow, i hope this thread really takes off, as i love talking footie!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

Well, I'm glad I gave it the bump!   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

MiamiPhish

I can't get shit in the way of TV football coverage... where/how are you guys watching matches?
(I have GOLTV which is pretty cool, but its basically liga primera re-runs most of the time, which is OK, but I'm admittedly a fan of the EPL as well as serie a.)

Oh, and if Sevilla FC finishes 3rd like you say, Jedi, I'll be very happy!

mattstick

I wish I could watch SPL matches, it's tough to even get highlights of my Rangers.

SPL soccer is really gritty and fun to watch, it's definitely not tops in Europe but it's great Football.  I've tried to watch MLS matches a few times to support Toronto FC but it's kind of a joke.  I'm hoping the league will continue to grow and be a more viable football option in the next 4 or 5 years.

jedifunk

i watch soccer on TV on fox soccer channel.. i have comcast and in my area its channel 728 i believe.

as for the MLS, yeah its gotten better in its 10 yrs, but its still a ways off... the issue is that they expanded pretty fast, and the US youth soccer system just can't support it right now... so the product on the field is a bit mediocre..  i give it 5 yrs then it will be in a much better place.... but it will never be on par with euro leagues
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

MiamiPhish

My answers have been, for today, answered...

Manchester United Vs. Villareal  today on ESPN2 2:30 ET.  Replay at 5:00 ET on ESPN Classic

jedifunk

wow, you move quick, as i didn't even see any questions.

but since i'm here... how bout how shitty milan look right now... our defense is terrible!  could be a long season.

oh and i really hope inter don't win the champs league
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

MiamiPhish

Quote from: jedifunk on September 17, 2008, 02:13:04 PM
wow, you move quick, as i didn't even see any questions.

but since i'm here... how bout how shitty milan look right now... our defense is terrible!  could be a long season.

oh and i really hope inter don't win the champs league
Haha, I said 'answers' instead of 'prayers'
Unfortunately we've only got the Real Madrid - BATE (?) on right now... two teams I care very little about =(

MiamiPhish

Liverpool - PSV   2:30 on ESPN2

Anyone else catchin this game?  I've got my popcorn and beer ready!

jedifunk

man what a difference a week can make! milan looked fuggin great in the derby vs. inter on sunday...

and now we've won 4 in a row... look out
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

tet

check out this interview with Newcastle's new manager....   

just, wow...   :-o

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8749_4238893,00.html
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

i know right... that guy went OFF
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Declan

Quote from: tet on August 18, 2008, 03:31:01 PM
my loyalty remains with

my loyalty was at Aston Villa until Hitzlesperger left and Malouda joined Chelsea

but unlike you folks, I am into the Bundesliga

http://www.bundesliga.de/en/

now i have a very hard time choosing between Bayern and Stuttgart

i think my avatar says it tho

Pardo took the corner and Hitzlesperger finished

heres the squad

11.10.2008 23:56:30
Germany bring Russia to their knees
Thanks to a gala performance in the first half, the German national team brought Russia to their knees and took a significant step in qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Due to a somewhat lucky 2-1 victory in World Cup qualification action against the highly touted international squad from Russia, the EURO 2008 runners-up not only defended their Group 4 lead with seven points, but also regained respect coming of the heels of a meagre 3-3 draw against Finland.

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

jedifunk

unfortunately, at this moment, the bundesliga is a 2nd rate league... far below serie a, la liga & the epl... but in the 2nd tier with ligue 1 & the eredervisie...

some good teams to be sure, but top to bottom not on par with the big three
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Declan

dont even get me started on why I don't like series a
:-D

barclays just doesnt do it for me these days...

i dont like man u

dont like liverpool

chelsea is barely hanging in there

and i donno about putting the bundesliga with the Eredivisie
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.