News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/31 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, August 01, 2009, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 01, 2009, 12:46:51 PM
Quote from: VoodooBrew on August 01, 2009, 12:43:32 PM
Quote from: PhishPhan on August 01, 2009, 11:19:22 AM
Quote from: whatapiper on August 01, 2009, 10:09:47 AM
where was Fluffhead unfinished? i dont have time to listen, im off for this catering that kept me away from last nights show...

It cuts off about two minutes after the final "FLUFFHEAD!".

So the "solo" was truncated? Well that's the best dang part of the song. I haven't listened yet. I hope the > was well done at least.

Also, side note, I notice on LP the Drowned isn't broken up into song/jam as they normally do for covers ... Xeyed is ... wuddup with that?
I think they only track a '*name of city here* jam' when the song leaves any recognizable structure.

I'm no expert on such things, but my assumption was that it has something to do with publishing rights for the song in question -- you notice in CD booklets the cover song is always "published by" the original artist's publishing company ... so splitting out the jam saves (in whatever sense that is) rights to the instrumental music for Phish. You notice, also, that this is only done with cover tunes, so it can't just be about delineating structured from unstructured jams. On the other hand, you notice with covers like Loving Cup, where there's extra music but it's basically just a long guitar solo, there's no separate tracking. So you may have something of a point there.

But like I say, only my assumptions. I just thought it was curious -- and trivial besides.
Is this still Wombat?

Scent of a Tuna

Quote from: blatboom on August 01, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
I love the Drowned>Crosseyed homage to Darien 2000.

It was wild, JustJezmund and I were talking about that show last night in the setlist thread during setbreak!! Its a pretty sick 1-2 punch to open up a set!   :beerbang:

blatboom

that's next up on my playlist.  I can't decide whether I love this Split or hate it.. it's very weird.

redrum

Quote from: blatboom on August 01, 2009, 02:40:37 PM
that's next up on my playlist.  I can't decide whether I love this Split or hate it.. it's very weird.

it's weird because the weather was making the band stretch out the jam and play more chaos than normal cuz the crew was stripping down gear while they were playing it (mostly pages keyboards 1 by 1). never seen that happen b4.

it looked like the rain was blowing in and getting everything wet.
at the moment i was saying they don't wanna stop playing this Melt jam cuz crew was all over the stage w/heavy wind & rain.

if they ended the song, it would have been an awkward "well, this sucks" (or something like that)
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

redrum

So the "solo" was truncated? Well that's the best dang part of the song. I haven't listened yet. I hope the > was well done at least.

it was done well, and also very interesting to see them take that path at that moment.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

blatboom

Quote from: redrum on August 01, 2009, 03:19:20 PM
Quote from: blatboom on August 01, 2009, 02:40:37 PM

it's weird because the weather was making the band stretch out the jam and play more chaos than normal cuz the crew was stripping down gear while they were playing it (mostly pages keyboards 1 by 1). never seen that happen b4.

it looked like the rain was blowing in and getting everything wet.
at the moment i was saying they don't wanna stop playing this Melt jam cuz crew was all over the stage w/heavy wind & rain.

if they ended the song, it would have been an awkward "well, this sucks" (or something like that)

that's crazy.  thanks for the insight.
hopefully the weather holds up for you guys this weekend.

mistuhfry

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 01, 2009, 01:57:14 PM
Quote from: mistuhfry on August 01, 2009, 11:54:09 AM
Is it just me or are there hints at DEG during the "Arrival" of Fluffhead right before the segue into Piper???

and btw, Happy Jerry Day!

do you just copy a cdirksen tweet?

actually i was unaware of what cdirksen said, did he agree?  thank you for hating on me & my apologies for posting... i thought "paugers" were decent

VDB

Quote from: redrum on August 01, 2009, 03:32:33 PM

it was done well, and also very interesting to see them take that path at that moment.

Good to hear. I haven't gotten that far into set 2 yet. But holy mother of god this Crosseyed is excellent.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

Jim - Nothing special, but it's always a nice opener.

Chalk - A nice rocker to get the energy going, and that's exactly what it did.  Well played.

Gin - Really nice.  It really feels like they're starting to get comfortable with "getting out there" again.  Even though it didn't really leave the general theme they had some nice full-band jamming going on.  Everyone seemed to be listening to each other, and playing off of each other pretty well.  Nothing ground breaking, yet it was a solid version.

TTE - It sure did.

Lawn Boy - Page crooned.

Water In The Sky - There was.  Fast version. 

Stealing Time - Ocelot is getting up there, but I still think this is my favorite of the new tunes.  It's close though.  Pretty well played.  I'd be happy to get this one in a first set. 

Melt - Very chaotic and kind of cool at times, but it never really built up to anything, IMO.  But, in their defense it was getting wet on the stage, and they had crew members up there tearing down some of the gear, so that could have distracted them.

Drowned - They're quite predictable in a storm, huh? :wink:  The jam starts out with tons of energy, and gets the mood going.  As soon as it slows down a bit they flawlessly segue into ->

C&P - That was an awesome segue!  The jam starts off with some pretty thick funk.  I like what they're doing right around 1:15 in the "Morrison Jam".  They kinda slow it down so they can find their groove.  They take a new direction about 4 min in, and they pick up the pace.  Trey starts tearing it up a couple min later.  Some nice organ work by Page as it slowly melts into...

Joy - Sorry, but I don't care for this tune (even though it's my song too!)  Bad placement.  It reminds me of when they followed Mike's with Albuquerque on 6/28/00. 

Tweezer - Boo ya!  Spacey start to the jam.  Nice effects going on.  I really like what they did in between 6:50 and 7:15.  They were really playing off of each other.  It gets pretty crazy about a min and a half later.  It's nice the way they keep jumping back to the same theme.  It demonstrates focused playing.  They change the direction in the end, and then they slam into...

BDTNL - I like this in the second set.  It gives them kind of a "breather".  Not that it's super short or boring, but it's straight forward, and it doesn't require tons of thinking.  It gives them a chance to clear their heads and just play.  This one got kind of interesting for a min (about half way through the jam). 

Fluff - Awesome! You can tell they're really liking this one.  Fourth time since they've been back, but who would complain about that?  A couple rough spots, but no major flubs or anything like that.  I do kinda hear something that reminds me of DEG right before the segue into Piper.  I might not have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned earlier. 

Piper - Pretty rockin.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Nice little "Page segue" into...

ADITL - Great way to cap off a great set! 

Suzy/Tweprise - A perfect encore. 

All in all I thought the first set was kinda weak, but the second set had some epic moments in it.  My highlights were: Drowned -> C&P & Tweezer. 

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sprobeck

Quote from: ytowndan on August 01, 2009, 05:33:18 PM
Jim - Nothing special, but it's always a nice opener.

Chalk - A nice rocker to get the energy going, and that's exactly what it did.  Well played.

Gin - Really nice.  It really feels like they're starting to get comfortable with "getting out there" again.  Even though it didn't really leave the general theme they had some nice full-band jamming going on.  Everyone seemed to be listening to each other, and playing off of each other pretty well.  Nothing ground breaking, yet it was a solid version.

TTE - It sure did.

Lawn Boy - Page crooned.

Water In The Sky - There was.  Fast version. 

Stealing Time - Ocelot is getting up there, but I still think this is my favorite of the new tunes.  It's close though.  Pretty well played.  I'd be happy to get this one in a first set. 

Melt - Very chaotic and kind of cool at times, but it never really built up to anything, IMO.  But, in their defense it was getting wet on the stage, and they had crew members up there tearing down some of the gear, so that could have distracted them.

Drowned - They're quite predictable in a storm, huh? :wink:  The jam starts out with tons of energy, and gets the mood going.  As soon as it slows down a bit they flawlessly segue into ->

C&P - That was an awesome segue!  The jam starts off with some pretty thick funk.  I like what they're doing right around 1:15 in the "Morrison Jam".  They kinda slow it down so they can find their groove.  They take a new direction about 4 min in, and they pick up the pace.  Trey starts tearing it up a couple min later.  Some nice organ work by Page as it slowly melts into...

Joy - Sorry, but I don't care for this tune (even though it's my song too!)  Bad placement.  It reminds me of when they followed Mike's with Albuquerque on 6/28/00. 

Tweezer - Boo ya!  Spacey start to the jam.  Nice effects going on.  I really like what they did in between 6:50 and 7:15.  They were really playing off of each other.  It gets pretty crazy about a min and a half later.  It's nice the way they keep jumping back to the same theme.  It demonstrates focused playing.  They change the direction in the end, and then they slam into...

BDTNL - I like this in the second set.  It gives them kind of a "breather".  Not that it's super short or boring, but it's straight forward, and it doesn't require tons of thinking.  It gives them a chance to clear their heads and just play.  This one got kind of interesting for a min (about half way through the jam). 

Fluff - Awesome! You can tell they're really liking this one.  Fourth time since they've been back, but who would complain about that?  A couple rough spots, but no major flubs or anything like that.  I do kinda hear something that reminds me of DEG right before the segue into Piper.  I might not have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned earlier. 

Piper - Pretty rockin.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Nice little "Page segue" into...

ADITL - Great way to cap off a great set! 

Suzy/Tweprise - A perfect encore. 

All in all I thought the first set was kinda weak, but the second set had some epic moments in it.  My highlights were: Drowned -> C&P & Tweezer. 

Show rating?
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

WhatstheUse?

Just listened to the Melt and entire second set and I would probablt say this is the best show played this year :banana:

I know a lot of people will probably hate on this melt but I LOOOVVED IT! So fucking dissonant and weird, totally original jam..

the second set pretty much smokes from start to finish, the drowned>C&P segue is flawless and the C&P is SO SICK! Trey is on fire...

2009's best of versions of melt, tweeezr, drowned, C&P, and bdtnl IMO

Oh, and that short Fluffhead jam before Piper =  :-o SO SICK and def some DEG teases

Listening to this just got me SO psyched for the rest of the tour :wtu: :wtu: :wtu:
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

This Crosseyed is HOT. Some of the tightest phish i've ever heard.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VDB

Just listened to Tweezer and WOW. Between the C&P and the Tweezer I don't think we'd heard anything like this in 3.0 so far. Exciting!
Is this still Wombat?

fauxpaxfauxreal

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: VoodooBrew on August 01, 2009, 07:17:49 PM
Just listened to Tweezer and WOW. Between the C&P and the Tweezer I don't think we'd heard anything like this in 3.0 so far. Exciting!

QFT!
Bring in the dude!