News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-10-16 - The Knick - Albany, NY

Started by anthrax, October 16, 2018, 11:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

10-16-2018
The Knick
Albany, NY

I:  Moma Dance, Tube, Theme From the Bottom>Free, Army of One, Halley's Comet, Everything's Right>Cities, WOTC

II:  Ghost, NMINML>Piper, 20 Years Late, Show of Life, 2001, Character Zero

E:  Harry Hood

Caravan2001

What I heard from the first set was great for a tour opener.  Only to No Man's Land so far on second but decent Ghost.  I just love fall tour because I love listening for any hints of what the Halloween album might be.  I've never found one, ever, but it's fun to try!

sunrisevt

I got into the venue during the Halley's lyrics. Show was fire for my money.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

emay

Tube sounded nice on the audio stream.

Another good tour opener!

mistercharlie

I just finished listening to the show at my desk at work. I really liked what I heard, and definitely plan on giving it a good listen on the stereo while making dinner tonight. That first set was a funky segue fest!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

pcr3

Last night was a lot of fun. We are on to bloody marys.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

rowjimmy

Solid show here.

Below is a slightly revised series of tweets that I posted as I listened this morning:

According to my crack team of researchers, the Phish band played a concert last night in Albany, New York.

Apparently that's a place of some sort.

Moma Dance tour opener.
Statement or simply a song?

Dicey start but it gets going. Solid opener bolstered by Tube in the number 2 spot.

Tube jam was dope.
Theme peaks hard. Love it.

Dope bass solo & breakdown in Free.

I remain firmly in favor of Army Of One and shall continue as such as long as they are good like this.

Nice placement for Halley's Comet

Ripping but not long version of Halley's drops into Everything's Right.

Page is keeping this jam in space while Trey holds down the rock.
Heavy synth kicks in at 9:25 underneath some beautiful guitar melodies and gets a big response from the room.

This is a lovely jam.

Great transition into Cities.

Lyric flub.
Worst show ever.

Nice first solo from Trey.

Heavy wrap on Cities. A moment's pause before Page begins with the Walls Of The Cave intro.

Peaky, exuberant, finish to set one and a great first for the tour.

Now it's time for Ghost.

Nice synth action from Page as Trey shreds. Mike and Fish are driving the car as Trey surfs on the roof.

I don't say enough about Mike and Fish. Mike is basically crushing from start the finish on this show.

NMINML is telegraphed easily a full minute before the Ghost jam breaks down to silence and they officially drop in.

So far, this set is for the dancers.

Synth-y Space finds Trey launching into the pauper lyrics before the first chord is strummed thus marking they most extreme take on a no-build Piper.

Under Pressure tease ~2min into Piper (timing via LP).

Maybe definitely danced in the office elevator just now.

Nice Piper (weird start) fades into 20 Years Later.

20 Years gets dark and dirty. I like it.

After that heaviness, Show Of Life seems like a breath of fresh air.
Nice build to the closing peak and a strong fake set ending.

But we're not done yet.

2001 gets the dancers back up.
Character Zero crushes as the closer.

Hood encore?

mbw

Gumbo72203

Solid show!  Great to meet up with Birdman, PCR and Sunrise at setbreak and I got to meet Henri who will be repping Jauntshirts tonight. 

Show was good, some moments of miscommunication and a couple questionable things combined with some fucking solid, solid stuff. 

Moma Dance was solid and well-played, if unremarkable.  I clearly remember Trey wanting to jam the intro longer but Fish went for the change without Trey looking back at him.

Tube!  I never thought I would see a double-digit Tube in my lifetime.  Unreal.  Patient... and they worked it until they got to a white-light peak.  PERFECT transition into the blues.

Theme - right on.  Trey forgot the riff, but it was still good.  Very nice peak.  LOVED the transition into Free.  Trey was looping a little watery open-string thing at the end. 

Free - this was great, and the breakdown was super fun but I was a little bummed when Page when right for the changing chords when the band got back in gear.  Prior to that, I thought this free had all the makings of an epic performance.  Still very cool to see. 

Army of One - flawless.  Very good.

Halley's - as RJ said, good placement and well played but I'll still always be a little disappointed when they don't jam it.  Trey was funking out on some chords towards the end so I thought maybe, but nope. 

Everything's Right - Really liked this.  I tried drumming along and man, Fish has such a strong forearm to be able to do those 16th notes on the hi-hat for so long.  Fantastic jam that segued brilliantly into Cities. 

Walls was standard-great. 

Ghost - i missed the beginning of the song while coming back from the bathroom so that was a little bit of a bummer.  I thought the jam was going really well, but then it just kinda randomly died.  As RJ noted, you can hear the NMINML thing come up because Trey went over to Page and called to him. 

NMINML - the 2nd jam was fantastic.  Page layering synths all over.  Fantastic. 

Piper - well, fuck.  Most awkward transition ever.  You could feel the tension early on because the song itself had no oomph.  I liked that low-dynamic thing for a little bit, but then it did kick into gear more.  However, at 8 minutes you can tell that the song did not fulfill the launchpad role, energy-wise, that Trey was hoping for. 

20YL - wasn't terribly excited for this at first but holy hell, this was a highlight.  That jam got WEIRD and dark.  Can't wait to hear this again.  Was very surprised that it came back around to the theme at the end.  Almost doom metal style riffing in that jam... fucking weird and dark and yes. 

Show of Life - Okay, I hate to say it but this was perfect.  Perfect placement, and so wonderfully well-played.  Maybe the best ever. 

2001 - didn't see this coming at all.  Very welcome, if non-jammed. 

Zero - chompers gotta chomp

Hood - in the encore slot?  Never going to see that again.  Very welcome.  Well played, if a little compact. 

Overall, a great show.  Not more more else you can ask for. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

birdman

20 years later and show of life we're two of my favorite moments from
Last nights. I can't believe I just said that but it happened.
Also Hood.i could just live in the last few minutes of that jam.
Paug FTMFW!

Gumbo72203

Quote from: birdman on October 17, 2018, 02:04:33 PM
20 years later and show of life we're two of my favorite moments from
Last nights. I can't believe I just said that but it happened.
Also Hood.i could just live in the last few minutes of that jam.

Right?  Proof in the pudding of it's not what they play, but how they play it. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

sunrisevt

O & peak 'paug moment: BTW, bird & I literally met in the gents' during the chorus of Halley's.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

shoreline99

Quote from: sunrisevt on October 17, 2018, 04:50:51 PM
O & peak 'paug moment: BTW, bird & I literally met in the gents' during the chorus of Halley's.

you 'met'? or you ":sbw: met :sbw:"

because, let's face it, either one is plausible.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.