News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Fauxpaxfauxreal

Started by Hicks, November 25, 2018, 02:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

As some of you may know, Matty was riding his bike a few days ago and was hit by a car. He's been on life support ever since and is not going to make it. 

Obviously he was a controversial poster, to the point that he voluntarily left the site many years ago and afaik never returned. Having said that, I still feel that he was part of the paug extended family and I like to think he would have been welcomed, in some respect at least, had he decided to come back. Personally, as someone who frequently feels like an outsider too, I felt a sort of kinship with him. I regret that I didn't always have the courage to express that. From what I gather he lived a pretty hard life and struggled with mental illness and other issues for a long time.

Anyway, I've been thinking about him a lot today and I'm sure it would be appreciated if you sent some vibes to his friends and family.

He had some good advice for all of us in a recent video he made following yet another mass shooting. I think it's worth a watch. 

RIP Matty, I truly hope you are in a better place and I'm sorry the world was not as hospitable to you as it should have been.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

Damn that's sad to hear. Def related to some the stuff he said and enjoyed his point of view on the other stuff. Vibes to his friends and fam

RIP Matty

August

He definitely liked to stir the pot, but I always thought it was a way to awaken others' anger and passion.
He was passionate about music and discussion and that's where we saw eye-to-eye.
We had a beef at first, but I think the show club discussion turned it around, as we are both ones to call it like it is.
Faux was not very well liked on a lot of boards, but he gave zero fucks.
There are some issues he had in his life that I certainly cannot back, but he lived how he wanted and that I can respect.
RIP

August

A bunch of us met up with Faux at MPP 'o9.

mistercharlie

Damn, I never like it when one of our own passes, no matter how controversial they were. Honestly, in his last year on our board I had him blocked so I never saw his posts. But the guy loved Phish, you gotta give him that. And he coined the term 'Spaceship Boner' describing how a jam made him feel (iirc it was a fall '09 Ghost). RIP Faux.

It looks like his last visit here was on X-mas back in '11.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Damn.  RIP Faux, a true original.

Bobafett

Wow.   MAy he find comfort and joy in the spaces beyond.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

birdman

Wow. To be honest I haven't thought about this guy in years. Never really had any issues with him while he was on the Paug. I did always enjoy his shit stirring and trolling.
Shitty was to go out. RIP FAUX
Paug FTMFW!

kellerb

I occasionally tried to play straight-man to faux back in the day, during the era of lively live-setlist threads.  That's a confusing job.  it was usually impossible to tell whether he was trolling or being real/incoherent.  Also whether or not he was playing along with me or taking me at face value.

RIP strange guy.

PS.  Hicks, you feel like an outcast among us?  You're Core Paug.  Not that I get to make that call; I think it probably just manifests from the group zeitgeist.

ytowndan

Really shitty news. 

We never had any personal beef, but he definitely liked to stir the pot, that's for sure.  I enjoyed a lot of his more serious posts (and even a few of the provocative ones ... I mean, credit where credit's due, he could be funny from time to time) and, like Aug said, he had a passion for music and it showed.  I can remember agreeing with some of his opinions about TV shows and movies, too. 

I occupy such a tiny little section of the internet -- no other Phish boards or social media -- so when he disappeared from here, I had no idea what happened to him.  And so, as a result, I would think of him every so often and wonder what pot he's out there stirring. 

RIP, FPFR
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Well, shit. He kinda bugged me with the obstinate trollery, but that vid reveals more of him than I ever sensed from here. RIP faux, I wish you coulda hung around longer.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

WhatstheUse?

Damn, what a bummer to hear.

Faux was one of a kind for sure. He was passionate about music and gave zero fucks.  You could never really tell if we was serious or trolling but he kept things lively, and usually had a positive attitude. I hung out with him once, at Charlotte '10 or '11, and Matt was a genuinely nice guy who seemed like he just wanted a friend. I don't think he had the easiest life but I hope he found some happiness in there... however it was that he got his kicks...I hope he got 'em. RIP Faux.
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: kellerb on November 25, 2018, 10:54:59 AM
PS.  Hicks, you feel like an outcast among us?  You're Core Paug.  Not that I get to make that call; I think it probably just manifests from the group zeitgeist.

Yeah, I wanted to mention that too. Jason, you've never seemed real outcasty to me. You're one of us without a doubt.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

I won't pretend that I was a fan of the guy but I certainly wished him no personal ill. Sorry to hear that his time was cut short.

Quote from: kellerb on November 25, 2018, 10:54:59 AM

Agreed. Jason, by persistence alone you'd rank as core but you're also a constant contributor and an appreciated member of this family.