News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd. 2: The Usual Suspects vs. Apocalypse Now

Started by cactusfan, May 14, 2012, 03:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

Ohhh he's out there.  He's really out there.  Do you know what the man's saying?  Do you?  This is dialectics..  It is very simple dialectics. It's 1 through 9, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel to space, you can't go out into space without like, you know, with fractions. What are you going to land on, one-quarter? Three-eights? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something. Thats dialectic, physics, ok?.  Dialectic logic is; there is only love or hate.  You either love somebody, or you hate 'em.

mbw

Quote from: susep on May 14, 2012, 09:50:14 PM

fuck, thats one of the most intense scenes ever.
the moms voice narrating the letter....its just too much.

cactusfan

i am baffled at any votes for Usual Suspects.

i admit i only saw it once, when it came out, thought it was a turd and never saw it again.
so in the interest of checking on a possible youthful oversight, i just put it on top of my netflix queue.

though if re-watching it actually changes my vote in this match-up, i will eat my shoe. because seriously... Apocalypse Now!

mistercharlie

Keaton always says , "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Lifeboy

I watched Usual Suspects last night, and while it's good, it definitely gets a tad bit over-hyped.

Plus, it's Apocalypse fucking Now. No way I can vote against it.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

ytowndan

My problem with The Usual Suspects is that, IMO, it's a one-time-viewing flick.  When I go back and watch it again, I find there's not much left other than quotable and witty dialog.  The whole story is nothing more than a device to set up "the big twist ending".  And, by that, I mean there is no kind of character development whatsoever.  And, in the end, there isn't even one character that you really give a shit about.  They're all very well acted, but kinda two-dimensional and cookie-cutter when it comes to the writing.  You're not really invested in any of them.  Honestly, the only reason I think this movie worked at all is because the actors were so good.  But, you need great characters for a "twist-ending" movie like this to be re-watchable.  Not only does it lack great characters, it isn't really about the characters they do have, it's strictly about the answer.  And I already know the answer.  IMO, it joins a long list of "good movies that are worth seeing once".
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

Quote from: ytowndan on May 16, 2012, 05:47:48 AM
My problem with The Usual Suspects is that, IMO, it's a one-time-viewing flick.  When I go back and watch it again, I find there's not much left other than quotable and witty dialog.  The whole story is nothing more than a device to set up "the big twist ending".  And, by that, I mean there is no kind of character development whatsoever.  And, in the end, there isn't even one character that you really give a shit about.  They're all very well acted, but kinda two-dimensional and cookie-cutter when it comes to the writing.  You're not really invested in any of them.  Honestly, the only reason I think this movie worked at all is because the actors were so good.  But, you need great characters for a "twist-ending" movie like this to be re-watchable.  Not only does it lack great characters, it isn't really about the characters they do have, it's strictly about the answer.  And I already know the answer.  IMO, it joins a long list of "good movies that are worth seeing once".
Very well put.

cactusfan

holy crap.
i just watched The Usual Suspects.
are you kidding me?
that was terrible! it was actually worse than i remembered it. it's aged like milk.
it's just a bunch of famous people standing around in overly bright, overly colorful shots, speaking terrible dialogue and killing each other.
ugh.