News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

today, i hate:

Started by VA $l!m, May 16, 2005, 06:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimmetela

lol :lol:

I have been workin' on the wardrobe too! :roll: :wink:

cleech74

Scott P. Lowery Law Offices.

I have been trying to get my credit straightened out for the last few years.  I have made significant progress, but nothing is ever easy.  The law office holds the last credit card debt I have to pay off, from when I was young, and not financially responsible.  It is around $3000.  My tax refund from the IRS was going to pay off most of this debt, but has been held up b/c of an issue with signatures on my W-2.  Unfortunately, they have a court judgment against me now, even though I plan to pay it off, as soon as that check comes in.  I ran out of time.  Now, all the hard work I've done to get myself back in the black, may not matter due to the judgement against me.  Credit is a bitch!

I am 31.  I wanted to buy a house at 35, but now my sh*t maybe jacked up for another couple of years, b/c of a lousy few thousand dollars.  And they won't budge!

Just when you try to get ahead, or just "even", someone/thing can still F'it all up.   :-( :x :roll:
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

birdman

lawyers are scum.

My apologies to anyone on here who is a lawyer.
Paug FTMFW!

PhishJY

I agree.  Starting in the 60's, lawyers have fought very hard to make sure that we all have rights.  So many rights, that we don't know what to do with them.

Those of you that have been around here for a while know that i'm in law enforcement.  Law enforcement is part of the reason I HATE lawyers.  The other part is my rant above. 

Now to explain myself....

The other night, I was dispatched to a call in reference to an argument between parents and their 17 year old daughter.  When I got there, dad said, (and I quote) "She's out of control. I was brought up that you're not supposed to hit a female, and I'm not going to."  Mom said, "I just don't know what to do with her anymore!"  After speaking with the daughter, I very quickly determined that she believes that she knows it all and has a very poor attitude.  Mom and dad then asked, "What can we do?  If we slap her across the face, we'll go to jail.  If we whip her with a belt, we'll go to jail." 

My response: "Be a parent.  Do the best you can, and deal out punishment as you see fit.  If you slap her across the face for running off at the mouth, I'm NOT going to take you to jail."

Sorry for the long story to get to the whole point, but here it is.  Because lawyers took some parents to court for "child abuse" (lawyers like to use the term loosely) and won, parents are afraid to discipline their children now.  Parents are afraid of going to jail.  Because parents refuse to discipline their children, society is quickly declining.

One more and then I'll quit ranting.  I've noticed NUMEROUS times that the person i'm taking to jail in my back seat has more rights than you and I.  Despite the fact that you and I are law-abiding citizens.  I feel that one person's rights stop when they infringe on the rights of another person.  Therefore, I feel that if someone has violated my rights (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, etc.), WHY IN THE HELL SHOULD THEY HAVE MORE RIGHTS NOW THAT THEY HAVE COMMITTED A CRIME?  Example: Person A kills Person B during a robbery.  Person A has taken away the very basic rights (unalienable rights) of Person B.  Person A has taken every single thing Person B ever had, including his life.  In my opinion Person A has given up their rights, by taking Person B's rights away. 

Yes, I am for the death penalty, because as a taxpayer, Person A will cost us an ENORMOUS amount of money while he sits in prison.  Person A will have to go to court on murder charges, represented by a public defender, statistically.  Once convicted, Person A will appeal the original conviction.  Person A will then tie up the public defender some more and an appellate court.  Then if the conviction is upheld, there will be yet another appeal, and the process starts all over again.  And to think, there's a lawyer trying to get Person A off the hook, even though Person A is guilty as sin!  Two main problems here: 1) We (taxpayers) are paying for the public defender's time and lawyers aren't cheap; and 2) Person A will spend all this time in prison (more than likely this time will be measured in YEARS not months) eating and living on our tax dollar. 

Cost of lethal injection:

$    346.06   Drugs and Supplies
+ 3,536.08   Staff
$ 3,882.14   TOTAL
(Source: http://www.fcc.state.fl.us/fcc/reports/monitor/appdmon.html)

Cost of housing an inmate on death row:

$22,500/year
(Source: http://www.fdp.dk/uk/ment.php)

All this is because some lawyer wanted to take on the US Supreme Court.

Sorry this has been such a long read!

And if there's a lawyer out there- 
As a law-abiding citizen, I feel screwed.

(EDIT: PhishJY Steps Down From Pulpit)
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

Guyute

Quote from: PhishJY on May 24, 2006, 01:45:31 AM
Yes, I am for the death penalty, because as a taxpayer, Person A will cost us an ENORMOUS amount of money while he sits in prison.  Person A will have to go to court on murder charges, represented by a public defender, statistically.  Once convicted, Person A will appeal the original conviction.  Person A will then tie up the public defender some more and an appellate court.  Then if the conviction is upheld, there will be yet another appeal, and the process starts all over again.  And to think, there's a lawyer trying to get Person A off the hook, even though Person A is guilty as sin!  Two main problems here: 1) We (taxpayers) are paying for the public defender's time and lawyers aren't cheap; and 2) Person A will spend all this time in prison (more than likely this time will be measured in YEARS not months) eating and living on our tax dollar. 

Cost of lethal injection:

$    346.06   Drugs and Supplies
+ 3,536.08   Staff
$ 3,882.14   TOTAL
(Source: http://www.fcc.state.fl.us/fcc/reports/monitor/appdmon.html)

Cost of housing an inmate on death row:

$22,500/year
(Source: http://www.fdp.dk/uk/ment.php)
(EDIT: PhishJY Steps Down From Pulpit)

PhishJY, I agree with your opinion to an extent, but there are a couple of problems with it as well.  Which is why I don't agree with the Death Penalty and it is not a moral objection.

The reasons I disagree:

1.  Evidence.  Very rarely is there evidence that is 100% in showing that this person committed the crime.  It is beyond reasonable doubt.   The problem then ends up being a situation like Illinois a couple of years ago, what did they start to find as they looked at current and past inmates on death row, something like 10-15% did not commit the crime now tha they have DNA evidence.   To me still too high of an acceptable risk.  We are getting there, but not there yet.

2.  Cost.  This is the big reason I am against the death penalty.  Due to the structure of the legal system, once someone is sentenced to death, there are far more appeals made and I believe abailable to them than if they are not sentenced to death.  The result is that it cost is much higher.  The numbers you see now is that death penalty sentences cost about $2 million total, very expensive. (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org)

As for public defenders, necessary evil.  Too many people can't afford legal costs, if we are going to have system that makes it impossible for people to understand the laws and the court process, we need to provide them with representation to defend their rights.  That is for the people wrongly accused more than those that are guilty.

Now, as for you being a cop.......
very cool, it is a lot of work and a very difficult job that gets nowhere near the recognition it deserves.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

August

http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,1940.0.html

i remember the day like it was yesterday,phishjy............................

do you ever blast "buried alive" when chasing a suspect?  :-D
a

Quote from: PhishJY on November 08, 2005, 11:22:10 AM
2003 Mustang GT (Silver).......I also have a crown vic with pretty lights on top!

PhishJY

Every now and then there is someone who is wrongly accused.  I know that the system is not 100% accurate.  Now that DNA testing is now available, it makes sure that the wrongly accused is set free.  DNA testing is like 99.9% accurate and the odds of another person with the same DNA is like 1 in 3 bizillion, or something like that I believe. (I am NOT a lawyer quoting DNA stats)  Either way, DNA pretty much makes or breaks numerous cases.

As for the cost, I honestly believe that sometimes, the appeals need to be removed from the process.  A convicted person should sit on Death Row no longer than 6 months.  If there's one thing I've learned, it is that people generally know who committed the crime against them or their family.  Every now and then, there is random crime, but for the most part, the victim and offender know each other.  More often than not, people bring the crime on themselves.  Let's revisit the "Person A and Person B" situation.  The reason Person A robbed/killed Person B is because they are both rival drug dealers.  Last week, Person B slapped Person A's brother.  Next thing you know, there's a killing.

Law enforcement does not go out and arrest people for a crime that law enforcement knows they did not commit.  When I go to a call or stop a car and arrest people, I am not taking innocent people to jail.  I know that until they go to court, the Judge presumes them to be innocent, but really, they go to court so they can attack every reason I took them to jail.  For example, I stop a car for driving down the middle of the road (literally.  2 lanes, double yellow lines going down the middle of his car for nearly a mile).  When I talk to him, he's slurring words and smells like a brewery.  Get him out and perform field sobriety tests.  He falls into his truck during one of the tests.  I arrest him, and locate an open (spilled) beer inside the console of the truck.  He blows above a 0.15, which is way past the legal limit of 0.08.  Have I taken an innocent person to jail?  Didn't think so.  However, I have been to court 2 times over this case.  Last time, the person I arrested told the District Attorney that I needed to drop my case because I wrongfully arrested him.  I told the D.A. that I was NOT going to drop the case.  God only knows how much of my tax dollars this jackass is wasting trying to get out of a DUI that he was obviously guilty of!

I agree that there are officers out there that do some pretty shady policework, and that's unavoidable.  Those are the officers that give law enforcement a bad name.  However, I feel that taking someone's freedom and/or life is to be taken very seriously.  I understand that I'm  talking about a misdemeanor DUI offense vs. Capital Murder here, but the basis is still the same.  Innocence vs. Guilt.   If an innocent person is arrested, it's not because the facts don't point to them.  If the officer working the case does his homework, the correct person goes to jail.  Granted, I've only got about 7 years experience, but in that time, an innocent person has never gone to jail that i've seen.  Just my 2 cents.  Sorry for yet another long post!
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

PhishJY

Oh, sorry Aug., forgot to answer your 2nd question...

Quote from: august on May 24, 2006, 08:48:27 AM
http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,1940.0.html

i remember the day like it was yesterday,phishjy............................

do you ever blast "buried alive" when chasing a suspect?  :-D
a

Quote from: PhishJY on November 08, 2005, 11:22:10 AM
2003 Mustang GT (Silver).......I also have a crown vic with pretty lights on top!

No, If I Could, I Would.....  In all seriousness, I actually have to turn my CD player off or mute it.  HOWEVER, if I join in someone else's chase, I usually hit up DWD about the time we hit 120 mph!

DoW

Quote from: birdman on May 23, 2006, 06:39:11 PM
lawyers are scum.

My apologies to anyone on here who is a lawyer.

ouch.  if you're ever in trouble, don't go crawling to a lawyer.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Guyute

Agreeing with you PhishJY, the DNA evidence is great now.  More of a problem when you don't have that.

You are correct on the appeals, there are so many, but research showed me that the initial trial in D.P. cases is actually the major expense, the appeals not as much.  When the D.P. is on the table a lot more goes into the trial.

Get rid of the additional expenses and I really wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

shoreline99

today i hate:

not having any time to take a day off.  :frustrated:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Guyute

Today I hate:

Idiot project managers that don't know how to look at a calender or clock before scheduling meetings.

jonyem

Quote from: guyute on May 25, 2006, 11:29:02 AM
Today I hate:

Idiot project managers that don't know how to look at a calender or clock before scheduling meetings.

That's covered in day one, hour one of management training.  :frustrated:

Guyute

Quote from: jonyem on May 25, 2006, 11:41:50 AM
Quote from: guyute on May 25, 2006, 11:29:02 AM
Today I hate:

That's covered in day one, hour one of management training.  :frustrated:

they must have missed that one
:samurai:

antelope19

Today I hate:

COMCAST,  Thos fu@#$ cut our internet off for half the day today because they were doing repairs around the corner, so now I have to reschedule 2 appointments because I was unable to prepare correctly and have gotten absolutely nothing done today.   :frustrated:  No warning, No concern that all of the businesses on the block have been unable to do anything today!!!!!!  Bastards. :samurai:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment