News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

LivePhish boards and (generic city) jams

Started by Alumni, June 23, 2010, 10:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Anyone know how much revenue the band is getting from the sale of recordings on LP?

It just seems funny that the band (1) is always careful to minimmize royalties, and (2) very rarely makes the mistake of "finishing" jammed cover songs. Gorge R&R is the only example that immediately comes to mind.

With all the talk about Trey's chops, or confidence, and everything else, is it possible that those boards are taking an option off the table? When Trey hits a wall, it would be the easiest thing in the world to return to the main song theme to buy a little bit of time . . . but that just doesn't happen. Instead, they end up slamming into another song or dissolving into ambient wankery.

Granted, this doesn't explain when that happens to a Tweezer or Sand . . . maybe there's nothing to it.
Cause I got a degree

mattstick

Alumni

Yeah -- I guess it's a bad sign when you start having 2nd and 3rd thought before you even get to the [submit] button.  :-D

I tried to give you an excuse, Trey. I tried.  :|
Cause I got a degree

pcr3

if it makes you feel better, i briefly wondered the same thing a few times over the last few shows, especially last night during the "Mansfield Jam".
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Gumbo72203

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, Alumni.

From my understanding of it, once the jam leaves anything that could be reasonably considered a jam on XXXX's chord progression, they cut it to another track, because that increases the # of tracks overall, decreases the length of the cover track, and lowers its ratio. 

Like, if you have to pay royalties on the song vs. its context, while not vastly significant, changing a songs ratio from 1/22 to 1/23 does end up making a difference in the end, money-wise.

Or, it could possibly have something to do with copyright infringment: They are trying to sell something of theirs (Venue/City jam) under someone else's name (the original song). 

But this has been going on for a long time....  with the Tinley Park Jam from 8/13/93, Darien Jams 1-3 from 9/14/00...  and those were released well before the Livephish.com site was up and downloading every show. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Alumni

The speculation was that the need to cut to another track (and not go back) might be influencing the way the band plays.

A LP CD released in 2001 doesn't influence how something was played in 1993. But now that LP is a daily part of the band's operations -- does that have an influence? That was the original speculation.
Cause I got a degree

mattstick

It's not like Trey sits there and tracks out these shows right after the encore.

Things that Phish do impact livephish.com, not the other way around.

Alumni

Agreed. And if 3.0 were a complete moneygrub, then they wouldn't be playing covers at all. It just doesn't hold water.
Cause I got a degree

Gumbo72203

If 3.0 were a moneygrub, they would open the archives and let fans order any show they wanted.  Then, once someone requests it, it can be put up for mass sale.  That way, they don't have to go about mastering and remixing every single show, just the ones that people initially want to buy.

Which I guess is every show...

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

kellerb

Don't all profits from livephish.com go to the mockingbird foundation as of a few years ago?

Anyway, there is no chance that "Oh, we need to leave this cover unfinished to alter the livephish.com royalty-percentage" is actually a thought that occurs onstage or before.

If those royalties mattered that much, they would just not offer the covers for sale/DL.

Does the royalty-percentage-what-have-you factor into the "cuyahoga jam" track splitting?  I see no other reason to do the track-splitting like they do.

Alumni

Quote from: kellerb on June 23, 2010, 11:06:51 AM
Don't all profits from livephish.com go to the mockingbird foundation as of a few years ago?

Do they? There's a good chance I wasn't paying attention back when that announcement was made. I assumed it was just part of their business model.
Cause I got a degree

whyweigh5.0

I believe it's still a portion of the profits to Mockingbird
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

rowjimmy

Quote from: whyweigh4.5 on June 23, 2010, 11:09:38 AM
I believe it's still a portion of the profits to Mockingbird

This is correct.

mattstick

Anyway, there is no chance that "Oh, we need to leave this cover unfinished to alter the livephish.com royalty-percentage" is actually a thought that occurs onstage or before.

This is true.

If those royalties mattered that much, they would just not offer the covers for sale/DL.

They still make money, they just have to pay some of it back to the songwritiers.

Does the royalty-percentage-what-have-you factor into the "cuyahoga jam" track splitting?  I see no other reason to do the track-splitting like they do.

We went over this in another thread, the length of the cover is inconsequential to the royalty rate. 

However, "Cuyahoga Jam" becomes another song for Phish to use any way they choose.  If they wanted to use it as the background loop on a DVD menu, they no longer have to pay the original songwriters, etc.

kellerb

Quote from: mattstick on June 23, 2010, 11:15:38 AM

This is true.

They still make money, they just have to pay some of it back to the songwritiers.

We went over this in another thread, the length of the cover is inconsequential to the royalty rate. 

However, "Cuyahoga Jam" becomes another song for Phish to use any way they choose.  If they wanted to use it as the background loop on a DVD menu, they no longer have to pay the original songwriters, etc.

Those explanations are just crazy.  Now I agree with Alumni's theory of them specifically planning it out.    :-P