News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Do you have a universal remote control?

Started by mattstick, November 16, 2017, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I've had a URC MX-980 for 10 years until it dropped on the floor tonight and doesn't work anymore...

I read some articles on-line but I don't really like the look of anything I found.

What are you using?

PIE-GUY

I have a Harmony remote. Love it. Very customizable but simple to use once you set it up.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

Seems like a lot of useless buttons?

The 980 is like 10 years old but still felt like the best tech available.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on November 16, 2017, 09:16:55 PM
Seems like a lot of useless buttons?

The 980 is like 10 years old but still felt like the best tech available.

The only buttons I don't use are the "home" buttons that are for lighting and shit. I just like that I never have to look at it. It's 100% tactile. I tried one with a screen on it and I hated it.

mattstick

Can it do Macros? Like change the amp settings and tv input with the same button press? Or power everything off with one button?

Which model is yours?

PIE-GUY

It's the Harmony Companion:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3RFC4G/

It has three activity buttons at the top which are one press macros like you're asking about. Each has a short press and a long press so you can program up to six activities. Mine are "listen to music" "watch dvr" "watch Appletv" with long presses for "watch Blu-ray" and "watch firetv"

It all programed with an iOS app... I use my iPad. The app can also act as the remote at any time if, say, the battery dies on it. All very intuitive and easy to set up.

Again, it's the only harmony without a screen on the remote itself so you never have to look at it once you know the buttons by feel. That's what sold me.

mattstick

That's about the same price as a used MX-980 on eBay... you've got me thinking.

Marmar

Those Harmony remotes are REAL nice.....

I've got a buddy tryin to convince me into getting one due to the mountain of remotes I need to operate my entertainment center.....I think I am up to 6 or 7 remotes.....(tv, cable, roku, vcr, dvd, dvd-a player, and stereo)

chirst, I guess I should watch this thread.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

sls.stormyrider

Another vote for Harmony. I can control with the remote - or if I'm in another room listening to music I can control it with my iphone
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

have been using the Harmony Ultimate for a long time, it's awesome.  easy to program and customize pretty extensively. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish