News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/01 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, July 01, 2011, 11:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mopper_smurf

Quote from: whatapiper on July 02, 2011, 01:48:24 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on July 02, 2011, 01:40:25 AM
bathtub gin at 14:53.
so close!

what was the bet exactly? nothing over 15 min all weekend?

Not sure, but how about:

20 min Hood Set II closer. Mark it, dude.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Superfreakie

Quote from: mopper_smurf on July 02, 2011, 03:49:20 AM
Quote from: whatapiper on July 02, 2011, 01:48:24 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on July 02, 2011, 01:40:25 AM
bathtub gin at 14:53.
so close!

what was the bet exactly? nothing over 15 min all weekend?

Not sure, but how about:

20 min Hood Set II closer. Mark it, dude.

I believe Hood is excluded from the bet.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

So the last time a set opened up with a 'jam' was back in '97 right? So fakkin pumped to hear this! Damn, my grown-up responsibilities for making me have to go to bed and miss the show.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: Undermind on July 01, 2011, 11:58:26 PM

And what's happening here? Did a jam blow the back of that guy's head off? and is that Mandi there in the center?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 02, 2011, 05:25:47 AM
So the last time a set opened up with a 'jam' was back in '97 right? So fakkin pumped to hear this! Damn, my grown-up responsibilities for making me have to go to bed and miss the show.

I'd dial back your excitement on the "Jam". It was really just some weirdness with evil laughing. I don't think its even worth noting on the setlist.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Marmar

super 3.0 balled...

bleh....

Moma, Sand and Simple.....

If the Ball were the only 3 shows I'd seen all year I'd be happy.....BUT.....with this many repeats, and how much of a snoozer this set is, I'd be pissed knowing that roughly $75 of my $200+ paid for a night like this...

It did sound like they were having a blast on stage, and some moments were very nice and tight......but there was nothing new here.....nothin to see, keep it movin....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 02, 2011, 08:25:10 AM

I'd dial back your excitement on the "Jam". It was really just some weirdness with evil laughing. I don't think its even worth noting on the setlist.

really?  i thought it was pretty cool, and its 4 minutes.  how would you note it?

DoW

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 02, 2011, 08:36:37 AM

really?  i thought it was pretty cool, and its 4 minutes.  how would you note it?
if I were tracking a show, I'd probably note it either as unusual intro and obscure tuning and banter or whatever.

if you hadn't heard it and you saw that on the setlist and then you listened to it, wouldn't you find it misleading or at least be disappointed?

think about the soundcheck.  they opened with jam>  the soundcheck gave hope.  you see this on a setlist and you'd have high expectations.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

birdman

Got in during simple last night. I'm like the anti Augusto.
This place is pretty dope. Looking forward to the days festivities.
Paug FTMFW!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: bvaz on July 02, 2011, 08:50:22 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 02, 2011, 08:36:37 AM

if I were tracking a show, I'd probably note it either as unusual intro and obscure tuning and banter or whatever.

if you hadn't heard it and you saw that on the setlist and then you listened to it, wouldn't you find it misleading or at least be disappointed?

think about the soundcheck.  they opened with jam>  the soundcheck gave hope.  you see this on a setlist and you'd have high expectations.

Agreed. I heard it and I was disappointed.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

aphineday

Got into the venue a little late to meet up with anyone before Set I, so just jammed in the back drinking great beer. Not a horrible way to spend my first set at a fest. Set I was great for me, I got my first Peaches, AND Life On Mars.
Set II, I met up and raged it a little with AACB, WTU, and 'Lope. Crosseyed was fun albeit heavily played now. The >Chalkdust sounded great to me at the time! sand was very nice, Simple had some very cool stuff happening. Weekapaug could have raged, but then didn't.

The kid in front of us was pretty hilarious. He knew maybe one song they played, but was trying his best to have fun. He had this crazy schizoid dance he kept firing up in between asking us "what song is this"? And "is it one of theirs"? I had to laugh when Trey was looping into Silent In The Morning, this dude turns to his friend and says "sick jam"!

All in all, awesome day 1. I'll try to upload pictures to my Facebook when I can.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

RabeldyNugs

As far as I can remember the YEM on 10-10-99 The Knick Set II was Ambient Jam > YEM
Good stuff.
I was fading in + out all night on the live stream but I 100% remember that Simple...
:phish:
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

susep

The Simple reminded me of the 1Nov.2009 Light in its charging, ambient space.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: RabeldyNugs on July 02, 2011, 09:28:47 AM

As far as I can remember the YEM on 10-10-99 The Knick Set II was Ambient Jam > YEM
Good stuff.
I was fading in + out all night on the live stream but I 100% remember that Simple...
:phish:

Yeah, 10/10/99 is the last jam i remember to open a set too.