News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/28 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by emay, December 28, 2011, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Your distinct lack of hate surprises me, sophist. I just got through the first set and it didn't do much of anything for me.

I agree the Cities had some nice moments and, as usual, ends too soon. And I'll second the frustration with the tentativeness that always seems to bubble up just as things are getting interesting. It seems like every time a jam starts to go somewhere, I have a hard time enjoying it because in the back of my mind I keep waiting for them to kill it.

I'm not feeling the Gin either. All stale, overused rawk riffage from Trey with nary a hint of originality. Add to that his harsh, unnatural tone and a pretty brutal stumble on the "big" peak ~10:00 and I'm left scratching my head at setbreak.

Other than the Cities, the rest of this set is dead to me.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sophist

Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 29, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
Your distinct lack of hate surprises me, sophist. I just got through the first set and it didn't do much of anything for me.

I agree the Cities had some nice moments and, as usual, ends too soon. And I'll second the frustration with the tentativeness that always seems to bubble up just as things are getting interesting. It seems like every time a jam starts to go somewhere, I have a hard time enjoying it because in the back of my mind I keep waiting for them to kill it.

I'm not feeling the Gin either. All stale, overused rawk riffage from Trey with nary a hint of originality. Add to that his harsh, unnatural tone and a pretty brutal stumble on the "big" peak ~10:00 and I'm left scratching my head at setbreak.

Is it memorable?  No.  But it's not terrible either.  And that's the thing to me, I don't mind it being forgettable, in fact, I like that a lot more than say 6-15, 6-17, or 6-18 from this summer, which are completely terrible to me.  I made it through this without cringing or laughing at them.  I think the biggest is Trey is doing less with more.  During the summer, he was always trying to go outside the box, and the way he was doing it was pure garbage to my ears.  In this show, he stays within the context of each song, and is actually playing along and with the other members.  It's not the Trey show, which I think is the biggest deterrent for me.  Are his chops where they should be?  Not even close.  But, he's humble in this show, and in the second set, with the jam out of Carini they actually do go there, and take the music where it needs to go.  This is why it gets my respect. 

It's not like this show has convinced to leave work, and hit Hartsfield in the hope of making the next three shows, but I am appreciative of the fact that they sound tighter, and they just sound better to my ears.  Last week, I listened to a shitload of Phish for the first time in months, and when I finally hit some 3.0 material (Gorge RnR from this year), I def felt the sentiments that I have been echoing since June of this year.  That they pretty much suck, and are done.  While I'm not sold on them turning things around, I do feel like this show is better than anything from last years nye run.  And with that feeling, I dunno, I just don't hear the show as being bad, or being turned off by it.  I also don't see me holding onto this show either, good odds that before the new year comes I delete this out of my itunes and off my hd. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

DoW

Quote from: sophist on December 29, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 29, 2011, 11:06:51 AM

Is it memorable?  No.  But it's not terrible either.  And that's the thing to me, I don't mind it being forgettable, in fact, I like that a lot more than say 6-15, 6-17, or 6-18 from this summer, which are completely terrible to me.  I made it through this without cringing or laughing at them.  I think the biggest is Trey is doing less with more.  During the summer, he was always trying to go outside the box, and the way he was doing it was pure garbage to my ears.  In this show, he stays within the context of each song, and is actually playing along and with the other members.  It's not the Trey show, which I think is the biggest deterrent for me.  Are his chops where they should be?  Not even close.  But, he's humble in this show, and in the second set, with the jam out of Carini they actually do go there, and take the music where it needs to go.  This is why it gets my respect. 

It's not like this show has convinced to leave work, and hit Hartsfield in the hope of making the next three shows, but I am appreciative of the fact that they sound tighter, and they just sound better to my ears.  Last week, I listened to a shitload of Phish for the first time in months, and when I finally hit some 3.0 material (Gorge RnR from this year), I def felt the sentiments that I have been echoing since June of this year.  That they pretty much suck, and are done.  While I'm not sold on them turning things around, I do feel like this show is better than anything from last years nye run.  And with that feeling, I dunno, I just don't hear the show as being bad, or being turned off by it.  I also don't see me holding onto this show either, good odds that before the new year comes I delete this out of my itunes and off my hd.
well said  :clap:
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

McGrupp

Sophist analyzes the shows he wishes he was at.

8-)

Tonight is gonna be the heet.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 29, 2011, 11:51:58 AM

8-)

I wouldn't go that far ye dirty bastard.  But I am happy with how things got started for you guys.  Tonight should be good. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on December 29, 2011, 11:58:56 AM

8-)

I wouldn't go that far ye dirty bastard.  But I am happy with how things got started for you guys.  Tonight should be good.

Just giving you shit. I was thinking about how you would have been having fun if you were there last night.

Tonight may be the off night, but I expect this to be a good run.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

gah

I enjoyed the Cities, but definitely wish they'd actually taken it somewhere or segued into something else, not a fan of just letting a tune die out like that, especially when it's got some legs...stash was a let down since I like when things get dark, but that's ok, 2nd set highlight was the evil trio of carini > tweezer > mfmf...all in all, a solid start to a 4 night run. OH, and I didn't like Page's clav being so low in the mix. Couldn't hardly hear it at all during Contact, don't know if that was just in the broadcast mix or what, but it was def missing.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

emay

Hope tonight's as good or better than last night they still have a lot to top from last night
But not too many jam vehicles left :/

barnesy305

Quote from: McGrupp on December 29, 2011, 12:09:54 PM
Quote from: sophist on December 29, 2011, 11:58:56 AM

8-)

Just giving you shit. I was thinking about how you would have been having fun if you were there last night.

Tonight may be the off night, but I expect this to be a good run.

I'm surprised you're up this early McG.

anthrax

good times last night.  i wasn't expecting a heater, but they exceeded my expectations with some good playing.  2nd set was real nice until NICU which seemed to kill the momentum.  odd song selection (free opener, contact in first set, glide, etc.) kept us guessing.  i'll take it as a 12/28 show any day.

had fun with jphish and crew for the entire show.  wtu and mcg came by for a bit.  the sets seemed really short and i think it was because we were just having a blast!  this run has great potential, let's keep it moving forward  :beers:

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

anthrax

Quote from: sophist on December 29, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
In this show, he stays within the context of each song, and is actually playing along and with the other members.  It's not the Trey show, which I think is the biggest deterrent for me.  But, he's humble in this show 

yes!  i thought this exact thing several times last night.

mbw

wheres  :wtu: review?

i need to know the people need to know if it was the best show evar.

Hicks

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 29, 2011, 02:23:06 PM

Also, are they back or what?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 29, 2011, 02:23:06 PM

he's most likely trying to track down drugs so he never has to do another 3.0 show sober.   :evil: